Anyone had a response from DIAC about VAC refund?

theowens

Hi everyone,

Has anyone managed to get a refund out of DIAC yet, I followed the instructions of a post that was "Stickied" (although it isnt there now) about emailed them and then waiting for the reply which should be a no and then complaining to the ombudsman.

I had a reply on 17 Oct, saying my request would be expected to be dealt with within 10 days, I've not heard anything since!

I agree with the reasons behind changing the immigration criteria to best suit Australia, after all that's one of the reasons we wanted to go, however I'm totally disgusted with the service they have provided to people who now have little (NO) hope of now getting a visa and refusing to refund VAC. I'm going to email them again today and complain that they have even failed to deal with my complaint within their guidelines and I'm not a happy bunny!

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Has anyone managed to get a refund out of DIAC yet, I followed the instructions of a post that was "Stickied" (although it isnt there now) about emailed them and then waiting for the reply which should be a no and then complaining to the ombudsman.

Rob

This was the response I got from them about refunds:

"I note the suggestions you have made in relation to the refunding and

transfer of the Visa Application Charge (VAC) and the comparison made with

migration programs in two other countries. It is important to note that

the refund of the VAC is governed by Migration Regulations. The

legislation only allows the refund of the VAC in certain limited

circumstances. These requirements remain the same as when you applied for

skilled migration. Where an applicant makes the decision to withdraw their

application, the VAC is generally not refundable.

"

It also took them a lot longer than 10 days to reply to me! I expect you will get the same response, word-for-word. You might want to point out to the Ombudsman (when you complain) that although VAC requirements are the same as when we applied the waiting times and conditions have changed vastly and that VAC policy should therefore also have changed.

To get any kind of good repsonse from the Ombudsman you need to show that the change in policy / lack of change in policy has created some kind of inequity, unfairness and / or unforeseen circumstance which should be easy!

• 9 months later...

Hello,

So what is the right things to say in order to make a valid complaint so that I get a refund from DIAC? To be honest, I received a negative assessment from ACS and wish to withdraw my application.

Also does anyone know why ACS gives a "NOT ASSESSABLE" comment on one of my expereince reference letters? Does that mean they were not able to contact my referees ?

Please help.

Thank you

Archived