SA website

gaz n family

Guest Bokkiegirl

My agent mentioned to me that they only start looking at your application once ALL documents have been received (paper doc's).

From date of receipt it's around 4weeks..

We are also anxiously waiting but still have another 3wks+ to go :(

Coming to the end of week one of waiting since the paperwork arrived in the South Aus State sponsorship office. What about yourself, been waiting long?

We sent ours on the 3rd Nov when they opened up the doors for state sponsorship. Been told it will take approx 8weeks for this bit. Originally wanted Brisbane but cant get in on our points and they offereing no State Sponsorship there, so we having a go for Melbourne! Is this a family move, if so what do they think about it...always curious to know.....

Guest Bokkiegirl
well done you. your visa lodged yet?

Hi there,

NO

And I heard that the points system is changing tomorrow. Asked my agent now if we have to lodge the whole application or is it an online portion first in the hope we can get it in before then..

We sent ours on the 3rd Nov when they opened up the doors for state sponsorship. Been told it will take approx 8weeks for this bit. Originally wanted Brisbane but cant get in on our points and they offereing no State Sponsorship there, so we having a go for Melbourne! Is this a family move, if so what do they think about it...always curious to know.....

erm, we are intending to settle in or around Alelaide, South Australia, not Melborne Vic. So sorry i cannot comment in that, but yes ours is a family move, my and the boss, sorry i mean wife. 1 son 15 and 1 daughter 12 and a black lab. the main dilema we have (other than getting approval) is what do we do once its approved with our 15 year old. IF and it is a big IF we get acceptance and approval before he sits his exams, (GCSE) do we wait and let him sit them, after all he has worked towards them for a while now. or do we bite and jump so he can get into an Aus school as soon as possible so as not to disavantage him. Will there be any benifit of him sitting the GCSEs, i doubt they will help him secure a position in college or uni. why is it so hard to decided :cry::cry: how will we know we have done the right thing. :frown:

... the main dilema we have (other than getting approval) is what do we do once its approved with our 15 year old. IF and it is a big IF we get acceptance and approval before he sits his exams, (GCSE) do we wait and let him sit them, after all he has worked towards them for a while now. or do we bite and jump so he can get into an Aus school as soon as possible so as not to disavantage him. Will there be any benifit of him sitting the GCSEs, i doubt they will help him secure a position in college or uni. why is it so hard to decided :cry::cry: how will we know we have done the right thing. :frown:

It's really down to you whether you think this will be a long term move for your family or not. If you are thinking of giving it a couple of years, seeing how it goes, and then possibly moving back to the UK, then I'd say let him sit his GCSEs first. If you're going to come out here and really give it a go, commit yourselves to being here for at least the next five years or so, then probably the only use GCSEs would be to your son would be to give a prospective school an idea of where he's at academically.

If he does very well, it may be a bargaining tool for getting him a place in a sought after school, or you might be able to use it to persuade a private school to consider some sort of scholarship towards fees.

My daughter is 16 and in year 10 here - she is doing some school exams in the next few weeks, but really the ones that count are the ones they do at the end of Year 12, on subject selections they've made in Year 10 for the next two years, so if your son came out with or without GCSEs, he'd still probably be looking at doing something similar.

Hope that makes sense. Only you can know what your family situation is and whether it's likely your son might be back in the UK in a few short years, needing UK qualifications in his future career, or if he might still be in Australia and needing his Oz qualifications to get him into a uni or job!

Oh god - since reading everyone esle's threads I am seriously panicking that we haven't done a good enough job on the application, the research bit - we did plenty, but other peoples' ideas seem better - eek eek eek! This whole process just makes me feel constantly sick - the constant worry of missing the cut, not getting in, never getting to live in Oz - aaarrgghh!

Just needed somewhere to vent. ;)

Archived