Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

So thanks to IronChef and the other posters I've decided to do it, and ship the car (although still need to organise the shippers and details). But I've completed the first step and emailed my application off to Canberra for approval.

However it's been a week and I've not got so much as an automated we've received your application?? I know they can have a 3 week processing time but I at least expected them to debit my credit card and have some kind of generic email saying they will process my application in due corse...

Anyone else get anything at all back while they were waiting? Just don't want to wait the 3 weeks before chasing and then be told they never got my application in the first place..

Thanks.

Thanks IronChef! I'll do that. Also I've just seen your IronLady site - great package breakdowns! I'll PM you about your middle package once I get the approval through (fingers crossed!)

Guest ChiltzandTig

Hi iron chef

Our car has arrived in Perth, and pickfords tell me I can probably collect it next week once I have paid a gad zillion in tax.

They have told me to make an appointment to get it inspected at one of the metro garages, and to get a 48hour permit to drive it to and from the garage home.

No problem there. $90 bucks well spent.

My question is: after the inspection does the garage give me the wa licence plates?

also: once the car has been inspected, I believe I have to get the car licensed? How do I find out where to do this, what I will need to get it done, in terms of paperwork, and how much buck age it will cost me?

Thanks for your help (pickfords are v vague)

Tig

Hi - Really helpful topic - thank you.

I've got a question which I never thought of until I saw it mentioned in this thread.

I lived in Qld for a long time and returned to the UK about 5 years ago for work, bringing my year old Honda Jazz (2005 model) back to the UK. It was bought and used in Qld. That was very straightforward aside from a few compliance issues, but no major changes made to the car.

Im returning to Qld again at the start of 2012 and going to reimport this car again as it is in good condition and worth very little here as a grey import in the UK. I've applied for a VIA and from what I understand, the car is in the 'returned Australian goods' category so no import duty or GST etc.

The best quote I've had is from Anglo £1100 for RoRo Grangemouth UK to Brisbane but not too sure of what charges to expect when it arrives on the wharf - any ideas? Also I never thought about the air conditioning until I noticed it in this thread - will that need to be degassed even though it has the original Australian gas in it?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

hi all, we hope to be emigrating to melbourne this time next year on a state sponsored visa.

id like to bring our people carrier over, if the price is right.

the main issue i have is the fuel system, it has been twin tanked so it runs on veg oil. the installation is perfectly safe, and has no issues with a british MOT test.

does anyone know a little about this, ive already looked, and its legal to run your car on veg oil in australia, but do you think it may cause issues with the shipping etc?

Hi iron chef

Our car has arrived in Perth, and pickfords tell me I can probably collect it next week once I have paid a gad zillion in tax.

They have told me to make an appointment to get it inspected at one of the metro garages, and to get a 48hour permit to drive it to and from the garage home.

No problem there. $90 bucks well spent.

My question is: after the inspection does the garage give me the wa licence plates?

also: once the car has been inspected, I believe I have to get the car licensed? How do I find out where to do this, what I will need to get it done, in terms of paperwork, and how much buck age it will cost me?

Thanks for your help (pickfords are v vague)

Tig

They do things a little different in WA, you have to take it in for its inspection, wait for the personal import plate to be made and sent from the east, fit it, and then go back for another inspection, then get your plates...the cost varies from car to car, but generally $500-1000 is on the mark.

Some of this is kind of venturing into territory where I charge people for the info, but PM me if you get desperate and I can put you in touch with someone over there.

Hi - Really helpful topic - thank you.

I've got a question which I never thought of until I saw it mentioned in this thread.

I lived in Qld for a long time and returned to the UK about 5 years ago for work, bringing my year old Honda Jazz (2005 model) back to the UK. It was bought and used in Qld. That was very straightforward aside from a few compliance issues, but no major changes made to the car.

Im returning to Qld again at the start of 2012 and going to reimport this car again as it is in good condition and worth very little here as a grey import in the UK. I've applied for a VIA and from what I understand, the car is in the 'returned Australian goods' category so no import duty or GST etc.

The best quote I've had is from Anglo £1100 for RoRo Grangemouth UK to Brisbane but not too sure of what charges to expect when it arrives on the wharf - any ideas? Also I never thought about the air conditioning until I noticed it in this thread - will that need to be degassed even though it has the original Australian gas in it?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

The good news is that, if it was already sold here, you won't need to pay any taxes on it bringing it back over second time around :) Shoot me an email as I can get it cheaper than that, and give you an idea of what charges to expect at this end.

hi all, we hope to be emigrating to melbourne this time next year on a state sponsored visa.

id like to bring our people carrier over, if the price is right.

the main issue i have is the fuel system, it has been twin tanked so it runs on veg oil. the installation is perfectly safe, and has no issues with a british MOT test.

does anyone know a little about this, ive already looked, and its legal to run your car on veg oil in australia, but do you think it may cause issues with the shipping etc?

Importing it won't be a problem as long as it doesn't present a safety risk. Registration may be a little trickier depending on which state you're going to be living in.

Guest Pamment Family

Hi Iron Chef, this is my first post as ive managed to find most things out via trawling through other peoples questions & answers we have been granted our visa's and will be travelling to australia next year to activate them on holiday, then hopefully making the big move within 18 months or so from now.

My question is im thinking of buying a car now and taking with me when we move the car in question is a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII that i can purchase here in england for between 8 & 10k (£'s)looking at prices in Oz of around 30k($'s) id never be able to afford once we arrived. i appreciate it is an expensive car for servicing etc but is there any other problems you can foresee with importing this make and model and do you have a ball park figure it would cost with tax's etc, will be bringing it via yourselves at ironlady imports all being well and shipping it in container with house hold furniture and possessions if at all possable.

any advice appreciated as im thinking its now or never with me and the evo lol... & as long as ive owned and used the vehicle for the 12months prior to applying to import it thats fine isnt it?

Thanks

Hi , im looking to import my BMW 3 series 320i coupe 2007. I purchased it recently for £15000 and im looking to move over to Oz in around a years time. Ive been told by numerous people that I should import it and id make good money however going threw the numbers im sceptical. Am I missing something. I came up with these figures from the following website:

http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/documents/importing-cars-aus.pdf

Transportation cost - £1200 ($1920)

Oz port charges - $150

Customs clearance - $850

Quarantine Inspection - $250

Customs Valuation - $320

Duty Tax 15% - $5000 (probably more)

GST 10% - $4250 (probably more)

Thats a total of $12740 in fees and thats before I get anything converted to meet Oz standards. If I sold my car now for £15000 at todays exchange rate thats $24000

Thats a total of $36740 (probably more) and looking at this model in Oz they are advertised for around $40000 but probably buy it for less.

I just cant see how doing this would be worth all the hassle when I could just buy one is Oz without any fuss.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Guest Megan123

Hi Iron Chef,

Could you advise on the following as we haven't been able to get a straight answer?

We have sent all the relevant paperwork to Canberra to get the clearance document to take our car to Perth end of November. We would like to know whether the assessor will issue a clearance if my husband hasn't had his 309/100 visa granted yet?

The immigration officer in charge of our case has written a letter explaining that the application was received at the end of July and normally takes 5/6 months to process.

So can they and do they grant clearances before the visa has been granted?

It would be a huge weight off our minds if you have an answers to this as the lady in Canberra couldn't give us a definitive answer?

Thanks again for any advise.

Megan

Guest Sue1203

Hi all

Well here it goes, step by step

1. Apply for your approval from Canberra.

2. This took us 3 months to get and yet it does say 15 working days so do allow more time in peak times

3. Once you get the approval, you then can ship

4. When it arrives to Perth, you have to bring it to 1 of the 4 major inspection garages, we went to kelmsfort.

5. When you are getting your vehicle inspected, make sure you have your original import approval documentation as they won't put it over the pits.

6. Once it has been approved, they are going to fail it anyway because they will stamp the original import docs and you then have to post off to nimbrie nameplates in Victoria. We expressed posted them and then paid for them to to be couriered back.

7. What the send back to you is a yellow compliance plate for you vehicle

8. You then have to go back to the inspection place and hand them in and they then stamp it as being passed.

9. You then go around the front of the building and then take a ticket and depending on q, u could be waiting anywhere between 15mins to 45mins

10. You then hand in the doc u just got stamped as passed and make sure you have your licence, passport and registration docs with u.

11. We brought a Nissan navara 2007 and a convertible BMW 320ci 2003 and the ergo for both for 6 months cost nearly 700 dollars.

12. They then give you ur reg plates there and then

Hope this helps and if anyone has any questions, please let me know.

S

x

Guest Megan123

Hi Sue,

3 months is a very long time. We are leaving end of November so are hoping they can process our asap. I will ring them Monday morning and hope that the assessors close to looking at our paperwork. Fingers crossed.

Megan:err:

Guest Sue1203

Hi ya

I just wouln't take anything for granted hun not with them...sure even to get them to post the originals to us, it took over 2weeks and that was within Australia...when I emailed them and rang them to ask for them to post out originals, she advised that she wouldn't be able to do it that day and probably not the next!!!! don't you just love it!!! :)

If you need any advice, let me know and always make sure you have your originals and that when you finally get passed the person who the car is registered to has to be there to sign forms and show ID etc and don't try put it into the other person's name as they will charge you stamp duty!!! If you want to put it into another person's name i.e. the wife etc, wait 6mths and then you can change over.

Sue

xx

Sorry guys I've been away for a week with my family to the bush - no phone coverage and no internet (it's the only way I get away from work!). I'll post some pics for anyone interested somewhere in here.

Hi Iron Chef, this is my first post as ive managed to find most things out via trawling through other peoples questions & answers we have been granted our visa's and will be travelling to australia next year to activate them on holiday, then hopefully making the big move within 18 months or so from now.

My question is im thinking of buying a car now and taking with me when we move the car in question is a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII that i can purchase here in england for between 8 & 10k (£'s)looking at prices in Oz of around 30k($'s) id never be able to afford once we arrived. i appreciate it is an expensive car for servicing etc but is there any other problems you can foresee with importing this make and model and do you have a ball park figure it would cost with tax's etc, will be bringing it via yourselves at ironlady imports all being well and shipping it in container with house hold furniture and possessions if at all possable.

any advice appreciated as im thinking its now or never with me and the evo lol... & as long as ive owned and used the vehicle for the 12months prior to applying to import it thats fine isnt it?

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend bringing over an Evo 8, as they're available here under SEVS anyway. The only exception would be if you plan to bring over an FQ400. If not, fire me an email and I'll recommend some better options for similar money - options that will make you more money over here (then you can sell it, buy a nice Evo 8 and still have change in your pocket).

Hi , im looking to import my BMW 3 series 320i coupe 2007. I purchased it recently for £15000 and im looking to move over to Oz in around a years time. Ive been told by numerous people that I should import it and id make good money however going threw the numbers im sceptical. Am I missing something. I came up with these figures from the following website:

http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/documents/importing-cars-aus.pdf

Transportation cost - £1200 ($1920)

Oz port charges - $150

Customs clearance - $850

Quarantine Inspection - $250

Customs Valuation - $320

Duty Tax 15% - $5000 (probably more)

GST 10% - $4250 (probably more)

Thats a total of $12740 in fees and thats before I get anything converted to meet Oz standards. If I sold my car now for £15000 at todays exchange rate thats $24000

Thats a total of $36740 (probably more) and looking at this model in Oz they are advertised for around $40000 but probably buy it for less.

I just cant see how doing this would be worth all the hassle when I could just buy one is Oz without any fuss.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Yes and no. Just because you purchased it for GBP15000 doesn't mean it will be worth that much in 12 months' time. I'm gonna hazard a guess that it will struggle to be worth GBP10000, in which case importing makes more sense. The figures for customs duty and GST will be lower than that too.

Having said that, importing isn't always the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If you're happy with the car and want to keep it, then bring it over - that is, after all, the raison d'etre for the scheme anyway. If you're wanting to make money, then you need to be very careful about which make and model you buy. Brands like BMW are a safe bet, but their resale in Australia has softened a bit since the GFC.

Hi Iron Chef,

Could you advise on the following as we haven't been able to get a straight answer?

We have sent all the relevant paperwork to Canberra to get the clearance document to take our car to Perth end of November. We would like to know whether the assessor will issue a clearance if my husband hasn't had his 309/100 visa granted yet?

The immigration officer in charge of our case has written a letter explaining that the application was received at the end of July and normally takes 5/6 months to process.

So can they and do they grant clearances before the visa has been granted?

It would be a huge weight off our minds if you have an answers to this as the lady in Canberra couldn't give us a definitive answer?

Thanks again for any advise.

Megan

Hi Megan,

It sounds a bit like you're trying to put the cart before the horse (quite an appropriate analogy when you think about it!)

I highly doubt they will issue an import approval prior to him having the correct visa. Do you already have a permanent resident visa? Have you applied for a vehicle of your own? If your husband doesn't have a visa by November, how is he planning to come here? As a tourist? I need more info from you before I can give you a definitive answer.

Hi all

Well here it goes, step by step

1. Apply for your approval from Canberra.

2. This took us 3 months to get and yet it does say 15 working days so do allow more time in peak times

3. Once you get the approval, you then can ship

4. When it arrives to Perth, you have to bring it to 1 of the 4 major inspection garages, we went to kelmsfort.

5. When you are getting your vehicle inspected, make sure you have your original import approval documentation as they won't put it over the pits.

6. Once it has been approved, they are going to fail it anyway because they will stamp the original import docs and you then have to post off to nimbrie nameplates in Victoria. We expressed posted them and then paid for them to to be couriered back.

7. What the send back to you is a yellow compliance plate for you vehicle

8. You then have to go back to the inspection place and hand them in and they then stamp it as being passed.

9. You then go around the front of the building and then take a ticket and depending on q, u could be waiting anywhere between 15mins to 45mins

10. You then hand in the doc u just got stamped as passed and make sure you have your licence, passport and registration docs with u.

11. We brought a Nissan navara 2007 and a convertible BMW 320ci 2003 and the ergo for both for 6 months cost nearly 700 dollars.

12. They then give you ur reg plates there and then

Hope this helps and if anyone has any questions, please let me know.

S

x

Excellent info for WA Sue! The only problem is the process varies from state - apparently the Federal government is looking at harmonising the registration regulations nation-wide. They started 5 years ago....

Sorry meant to say the rego. Your ergo is also your licence for car, insurance and tax

S

x

Hi Sue,

3 months is a very long time. We are leaving end of November so are hoping they can process our asap. I will ring them Monday morning and hope that the assessors close to looking at our paperwork. Fingers crossed.

Megan:err:

See above, I would be assuming it's a no at this stage, or a yes, but not issued until your other half provides more evidence that he has the correct visa.

were seriously thinking about bringing the car, its a 7 seater people carrier.

do we ship it on its own? or make our 20ft container a 40ft?

which is the cheaper way?

can you combine stuff like that?

probably a silly question, however its not something ive ever had to do before!

Guest McF150Supercharged

Hi,

looking at bringing 2 cars out to Oz that we will be the time we leave have owned for over 12 months.

Both are in my name on the V5 document, although my wife drives own more or less exclusively.

I have an email from the Oz authorities confirming that it is ok as long as I prove my wifes relationship to me!

Have you heard about this as I would hate to fall foul of the regs & be told the email I got was incorrect.

Thanks for any help.

Guest McF150Supercharged

Also, bearing in mind it can take 3 or so months for a decision is it acceptable to apply even though you may have only owned one of the cars for 9 months.

I would have owned for over 12 months by the time my intended shipping date comes around?

Thank you.

Guest Sue1203

Hi ya, wud defo ship a 40ft, we got the 40ft for around 6k... And u have more room to bring more stuff as you don't want to be starting up againwhen u get here so the more stuff u bring the better.

As for having both cars in ur name, we were the exact same so just make sure u send thru bank statements that u may hold jointly or rent or mortgage docs...

The Only thing is that when u go to actually get the car plates, u wud have to be there to sign forms and bring drivers licence and passport, that's if u r moving to perth, it maybe different in other states

Sue

xx

Guest McF150Supercharged
Hi ya, wud defo ship a 40ft, we got the 40ft for around 6k... And u have more room to bring more stuff as you don't want to be starting up againwhen u get here so the more stuff u bring the better.

As for having both cars in ur name, we were the exact same so just make sure u send thru bank statements that u may hold jointly or rent or mortgage docs...

The Only thing is that when u go to actually get the car plates, u wud have to be there to sign forms and bring drivers licence and passport, that's if u r moving to perth, it maybe different in other states

Sue

xx

Thanks for the helpful feedback Sue.

Bank Statements will be easy proof.

Thanks.

Hi

Forgive me revisiting questions I have raised before but here goes.

We have just got a 457 unbder my name.

We have 2 cars. A honda intgra type r (2001 but only 25000 miles - cost 12500 3 yrs ago). Bought under my name as a new import from Japan 3 years ago.

A honda CRV 2006 40000 miles (petrol) bought me in my name 20months ago for £11000 and transfered to my wifes name soon after.

My wife is currently a housewife and has no employment. When we leave we are not selling our house as we aim to let it out in the uk as an investment. We have no address yet in Brisbane as my new emplyer will get that sorted for us before we arrive. (We have applied for a bank account)

Looking at the paperwork to apply for a permit it would appear as if it is easy enough for me, but not sure if my details of emplyment etc will count to get points to ship my wife's car.

Many thanks.

Guest Megan123

Hi Iron Chef,

I'll breakdown our situation so it's a bit more clear.

- Car is only in OH name.

- I'm an Australian citizen

- Immigration officer has said the earliest they are able to grant visa is a week before we fly to Perth 21/11/2011 we fly 28/11/2011.

- They have written a letter to Canberra explaining that the residents visa is being processed but only commented that it would take 5/6 months so should be granted before my OH flys. No Promises.

- Tomorrow is 15 days so OH will call to see if assessor has had the chance to view app.

- Container about to be booked (20foot) for car and belongings. Wondering whether we should rethink this plan?

I think the "Cart before the horse" says it all.

We were under the impression that you could apply for clearance if you were in the process of getting a visa... but common sense tells us that we might need our heads read?

Thanks

Megan

Hi Megan,

It sounds a bit like you're trying to put the cart before the horse (quite an appropriate analogy when you think about it!)

I highly doubt they will issue an import approval prior to him having the correct visa. Do you already have a permanent resident visa? Have you applied for a vehicle of your own? If your husband doesn't have a visa by November, how is he planning to come here? As a tourist? I need more info from you before I can give you a definitive answer.

Excellent info for WA Sue! The only problem is the process varies from state - apparently the Federal government is looking at harmonising the registration regulations nation-wide. They started 5 years ago....

See above, I would be assuming it's a no at this stage, or a yes, but not issued until your other half provides more evidence that he has the correct visa.

were seriously thinking about bringing the car, its a 7 seater people carrier.

do we ship it on its own? or make our 20ft container a 40ft?

which is the cheaper way?

can you combine stuff like that?

probably a silly question, however its not something ive ever had to do before!

Not a silly question at all - balancing up the pros and cons, you're probably better off (financially at least) going for a 40' container rather than sending the car separately via RO-RO. The only down side will be that obviously the car won't arrive with all your gear, whereas sending it separately means you can usually get it here before you arrive.

Hi,

looking at bringing 2 cars out to Oz that we will be the time we leave have owned for over 12 months.

Both are in my name on the V5 document, although my wife drives own more or less exclusively.

I have an email from the Oz authorities confirming that it is ok as long as I prove my wifes relationship to me!

Have you heard about this as I would hate to fall foul of the regs & be told the email I got was incorrect.

Thanks for any help.

That's correct - they make allowances for names on docs when it's a husband/wife or de facto situation. Just supply a copy of your marriage certificate and you'll be fine.

Also, bearing in mind it can take 3 or so months for a decision is it acceptable to apply even though you may have only owned one of the cars for 9 months.

I would have owned for over 12 months by the time my intended shipping date comes around?

Thank you.

They will generally not process your approval until you hit 12 months (give or take two weeks) - plan for storing the car with a friend after you leave if it gets too tight for timing.

Hi

Forgive me revisiting questions I have raised before but here goes.

We have just got a 457 unbder my name.

We have 2 cars. A honda intgra type r (2001 but only 25000 miles - cost 12500 3 yrs ago). Bought under my name as a new import from Japan 3 years ago.

A honda CRV 2006 40000 miles (petrol) bought me in my name 20months ago for £11000 and transfered to my wifes name soon after.

My wife is currently a housewife and has no employment. When we leave we are not selling our house as we aim to let it out in the uk as an investment. We have no address yet in Brisbane as my new emplyer will get that sorted for us before we arrive. (We have applied for a bank account)

Looking at the paperwork to apply for a permit it would appear as if it is easy enough for me, but not sure if my details of emplyment etc will count to get points to ship my wife's car.

Many thanks.

My suggestion - apply for the Integra under your name first, then hold out until you have enough points for your wife to apply for the CRV - bear in mind that may not happen until after you actually arrive in Australia.

Hi Iron Chef,

I'll breakdown our situation so it's a bit more clear.

- Car is only in OH name.

- I'm an Australian citizen

- Immigration officer has said the earliest they are able to grant visa is a week before we fly to Perth 21/11/2011 we fly 28/11/2011.

- They have written a letter to Canberra explaining that the residents visa is being processed but only commented that it would take 5/6 months so should be granted before my OH flys. No Promises.

- Tomorrow is 15 days so OH will call to see if assessor has had the chance to view app.

- Container about to be booked (20foot) for car and belongings. Wondering whether we should rethink this plan?

I think the "Cart before the horse" says it all.

We were under the impression that you could apply for clearance if you were in the process of getting a visa... but common sense tells us that we might need our heads read?

Thanks

Megan

I would definitely hold off on booking the container. Send me a PM and I'll discuss your situation with you privately. But in the meantime, definitely don't go putting your car on a boat!

PS NEVER EVER rely on a government department to process paperwork in the time frames they suggest.

Guest McF150Supercharged

That's correct - they make allowances for names on docs when it's a husband/wife or de facto situation. Just supply a copy of your marriage certificate and you'll be fine.

They will generally not process your approval until you hit 12 months (give or take two weeks) - plan for storing the car with a friend after you leave if it gets too tight for timing.

PS NEVER EVER rely on a government department to process paperwork in the time frames they suggest.

Thanks Iron Chef.

I will apply for the cars when 12 months ownership nears & hopefully get em shipped out later.

Disappointing I could be waiting for a further 3 months for the Government decision( after the 12months ownership ) plus shipping time.

How long is shipping normally?

It is ok to be in Oz then before the car even leaves the UK, providing I owned while in the UK for the 12 month period, before I leave the UK?