Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Guest willards

Hi Iron Chef, we have looked on the redbook used car website & cannot find our model type is this because its not desirable & will be expensive to insure? Its worth £15k here now and just want to make sure it will be ok to export. Its a 2008 BMW 325d m sport (manual). All we seem to find is petrol versions & steptronic. Appreciate help with this. Visa's granted Feb 2010!

Guest mikewheble

I'm taking out my Mitsubishi L200 (Raging Bull) and my wifes Mini Cooper...just had quotes and the cheapest one is on RORO and we have to take the cars to Sheffield...anyone ever used a RORO company and shipped from Liverpool as this would be easier for us.

Thanks

By the way, the companies that have quoted include Anglo Pacific which was £1300 for my Mitsubishi and £1400 for Autoshippers

Guest Big Steve

Hi all,

I plan to import an M3 Convertible and upon getting some quotes been advised (as it's a 'nice car') to avoid using a Ro/Ro or shared container and just go for a single occupant 20ft. Obviously more money but less risk. Is Ro/Ro such a risk?

Also - any suggestions on getting to the 100 points needed to 'validate' the intent to move to Oz for vehicle import paperwork? Many of the possible docs can only be obtained once I've landed forcing me to leave the car in the UK until the application/approval is through. I was really hoping to send the car ahead so it's waiting for me when I arrive (November).

Has anyone had any success using the 'Letter of Compliance' method of importing a motorbike? As my other half will miss out on the 12 months of ownership by a measly 1 week!

We have been making enquiries with Suzuki Australia to try and get a letter of compliance from them. Went round in a couple of circles and ended up speaking to the same gal at Suzuki, who will be trying to help us. I can't imagine that a GSX-R750 made for the Australian market is much different to one made for the UK market??

Guest Big Steve

Next question! ;-)

How strict are the inspectors? For example, have people been made to change the speedometer to read KP/H? Mine has MP/H around the outside and KP/H in smaller font inside. Is that acceptable?

Next question! ;-)

How strict are the inspectors? For example, have people been made to change the speedometer to read KP/H? Mine has MP/H around the outside and KP/H in smaller font inside. Is that acceptable?

Ironchef answered an earlier question about this for me and apparantely its acceptable to have both on the dash speedo but the oddometer needs changing by law to read in KPH...

This is the quote I have got to send my car over..

Thank you for your enquiry concerning the cost and details for the shipment of a 2004 BMW 320CI M-SPORT Motor Vehicle (UK value £6-7000, Aus value $25-30000), which you may require to have transported from the UK through to BRISBANE, Australia. The total costs for UK shipping plus Australian taxes and destination charges could be about £6-6500/$9500

This seems outrageous! This cant be right surely!?! :mad:

I don't know who you got that quote through, but yes, that price seems very high.

hi iron chef

we are going out to sydney on a 457 visa. with talking to removal companies here they have said that we have to get our jeep valued here ( 2005 nissan patrol sve 5dr auto) i have done so and got a quote of between £6000/£8500 now pickfords have told us we will have to pay 20/25% of this to cover customs duty- is this correct, as another company said no and then another company told us it gets valued over there then we pay the 20/25% of the value for customs. i guess im just looking to know to know if it is really worth to bring it out..

You will pay 5% of the CUSTOMS VALUE of the vehicle + shipping costs in stamp duty, then 10% of the CUSTOMS VALUE of the vehicle + all related shipping costs in GST. Have a read in the first post of this thread about Customs Value vs Market Value.

To answer your question, it's worth bringing over if you intend to keep it and use it here. You won't lose any money importing it, but you wouldn't make much profit selling it as soon as you got here either.

There is so much hype and confilicting information out there about this, I am phoning Canberra direct tonight to find out for myself as nobody seems to know how much it actually costs! All the quotes I have had so far are confusing and have no bottom line. Some people tell me it will be approx £2k in total, some people tell me it will be £7k... how hard can it be!

It sounds like some are including taxes, some aren't, but you won't pay anywhere near £5K in taxes on your car. The problem is you're not able to compare apples to apples. Did you email me already? I remember quoting a BMW recently. If I haven't replied, I'm sorry, I had a very large motorsport event on last weekend (I was one of the organisers - World Time Attack Challenge, for anyone interested), and I'm still trying to catch up on email again!

I looked into taking my car with a uk value of £5000 and an oz value of $18000..

The estimate i arrived at was around £4000 but that was at an exchange rate of 1.6. When it fell to 1.5 ish i gave up and have sold my car in the uk.

With a bmw it might still be worth it but spares will be horrendous.....

Good luck!

You still would've ended up in front based on those sums, but again, it would've been worth doing if you really loved the car and intended to keep it for a while. And BMW spares are only expensive when you buy them from BMW dealers ;)

Any chance you can recommend a valuer for my 530d?

There are heaps of them all over Australia, it depends on which port your car is coming into, for one. I'm happy to help where I can, but bear in mind that there are some things I prefer not to announce publicly, lest I give all my competitors all my good contacts...

Awesome thread, thanks ....

Question: When does a car become a car?

I'm in the process of building an AC Cobra replica, I could finish it before I go, or I could ship the parts and finish it there. It's never been registered or on the road in UK. I also wanted to take my 2006 BMW 325 SE, as I could probably only get £10k here but it looks like it's worth $35k-40k there.

Any info would be appreciated so I can start to work out how best to approach this.

Thanks

P

You can ship it as parts in a container - it needs to be significantly dismantled though - as in chassis and engine apart...give me a yell via email if need any help.

Pete.. my hubby says he'll easily take care of yer cobra & its prob safer not risking the shipping :wink:

Plenty of nice Cobras getting around here in Oz, a mate of mine actually owns an original Ford GT40 too, valued at seven figures these days...

I think we may have decided that taking a top of the range freelander 2 (2008) over to WA in the next 1-2 years may not really be worth it cost wise by the time we get it there.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with any Freelander, even a Freelander 2. The first gen had a woeful reputation for reliability that Land Rover still hasn't managed to shake. If it was a Range Rover or, to a lesser extent, a Discovery, then different story. Hopefully the Evoque will turn things around here.

The good part is you have plenty of time to sell it, buy something else more profitable, and still get your 12-month qualifying period in - worth considering.

Hi Iron Chef, we have looked on the redbook used car website & cannot find our model type is this because its not desirable & will be expensive to insure? Its worth £15k here now and just want to make sure it will be ok to export. Its a 2008 BMW 325d m sport (manual). All we seem to find is petrol versions & steptronic. Appreciate help with this. Visa's granted Feb 2010!

*whack* - that was me donging you on the head, Marx Bros style. It's an E90 model, yeah? Even allowing for the smaller diesel motor than the one we got here, you'd still be looking at $50K minimum for market value here. Definitely worth doing.

I'm taking out my Mitsubishi L200 (Raging Bull) and my wifes Mini Cooper...just had quotes and the cheapest one is on RORO and we have to take the cars to Sheffield...anyone ever used a RORO company and shipped from Liverpool as this would be easier for us.

Thanks

By the way, the companies that have quoted include Anglo Pacific which was £1300 for my Mitsubishi and £1400 for Autoshippers

Those prices sound very low - they almost certainly wouldn't include the miscellaneous dock charges at this end, nor would they include the cost of having your car valued here. Add approx GBP800 just for that.

Hi all,

I plan to import an M3 Convertible and upon getting some quotes been advised (as it's a 'nice car') to avoid using a Ro/Ro or shared container and just go for a single occupant 20ft. Obviously more money but less risk. Is Ro/Ro such a risk?

Also - any suggestions on getting to the 100 points needed to 'validate' the intent to move to Oz for vehicle import paperwork? Many of the possible docs can only be obtained once I've landed forcing me to leave the car in the UK until the application/approval is through. I was really hoping to send the car ahead so it's waiting for me when I arrive (November).

I send hundreds of cars each year on RO-RO, right up to Lamborghinis ex-UK. It's roughly GBP400 more to send it in a 20ft container compared to RORO, if you'd prefer not to have people driving it at the docks, then it's worth considering.

Feel free to email me if you'd like me to work through your docs for import approval.

Has anyone had any success using the 'Letter of Compliance' method of importing a motorbike? As my other half will miss out on the 12 months of ownership by a measly 1 week!

We have been making enquiries with Suzuki Australia to try and get a letter of compliance from them. Went round in a couple of circles and ended up speaking to the same gal at Suzuki, who will be trying to help us. I can't imagine that a GSX-R750 made for the Australian market is much different to one made for the UK market??

If you're only a week out, I'd still apply as a personal import, they sometimes show a very small amount of leniency. Forget getting a letter of compliance, it will never happen. There are a couple of other avenues you can try, but go down the personal import route first.

Guest hannash

can anyone help with this one ,,i cant seem to find my car in redbook its a c 200 cdi merc but all i can find is kompressors and e-class diesels ,,i cant seem to find mine its a 2005 model avantgarde ,if i could get a value i would consider it serously,,they are in our autotrader for between 9-10 grand,,thank you anyone,

Hi iron chef am I right in thinking that to take my vauxhall zafira 2010 car it's going to cost me around £6000 for everything that's crazy!!! I paid £17500 for it. Just trying to roughly work out figures not looking like it's worth it!!

By the time you add in taxes, that would probably be right for a total. I wouldn't bother, only because the Zafira wasn't a huge seller over here. The small people mover category has never done that well here.

can anyone help with this one ,,i cant seem to find my car in redbook its a c 200 cdi merc but all i can find is kompressors and e-class diesels ,,i cant seem to find mine its a 2005 model avantgarde ,if i could get a value i would consider it serously,,they are in our autotrader for between 9-10 grand,,thank you anyone,

Based on the value you've given over there, I'd say it's worth doing. I expect you'd get mid-high $20Ks for it here, depending how many kms it has travelled.

Guest hannash

it has done 55 thousand miles,,and thanks ,if i sell it here i`ll get 14000 oz dollars ,,forgive me im rubbish at this ,,,,WHAT WOULD IT COST ME TO TAKE IT,,,if its worth around 25000ozzy ,,is it doable from ireland or would i have to get the car to uk docks ,,thanks again:unsure:

Guest hannash
My feelings are, if you have decided to move permanentely to Australia as a migrant and have shown this by paying for medicals and getting a permanent visa as well as the cost of shipping all your worldly goods and paying for flights to get there, surely the Australian government could see this and give a little, allowing them to bring their vehicles as a one off move, to these new settlers as a gesture of good will. Its not like they have lived in OZ a few years and are trying to make a fast buck out of importing vehicles.......

so true ,,youare 100%correct

Can you help please? Can you give me an idea of what the cost would be "all-in" for the following vehicles were we to buy them there and drive them off the forecourt. I had a glance through the Red Book and these more or less hit the mark. Of particular interest, rego, any other taxes and "fully comp" insurance. Looking to move to Melbourne.

1 x 2009 Peugeot 207 XR A7 (or similar size)

1 x 2009 Suburu Liberty Premium 4GEN (or similar).

Much appreciated.

it has done 55 thousand miles,,and thanks ,if i sell it here i`ll get 14000 oz dollars ,,forgive me im rubbish at this ,,,,WHAT WOULD IT COST ME TO TAKE IT,,,if its worth around 25000ozzy ,,is it doable from ireland or would i have to get the car to uk docks ,,thanks again:unsure:

Best to email me for quotes, that way I can give you a more detailed response (kristian @ ironchefimports.com). I'm finding with cars coming out of Ireland that it's actually cheaper to containerise them than to ship them across to the UK for shipping on RO-RO.

so true ,,youare 100%correct

That's one way of looking at it - the other is that we are lucky to even have the option of bringing cars in at all :wink:

Can you help please? Can you give me an idea of what the cost would be "all-in" for the following vehicles were we to buy them there and drive them off the forecourt. I had a glance through the Red Book and these more or less hit the mark. Of particular interest, rego, any other taxes and "fully comp" insurance. Looking to move to Melbourne.

1 x 2009 Peugeot 207 XR A7 (or similar size)

1 x 2009 Suburu Liberty Premium 4GEN (or similar).

Much appreciated.

In terms of buying a car here, you will pay state-based stamp duty of around 4% of the sale price, registration cost varies from state to state, but allow around $700 for 12 months' worth (all states do six months, some do three months). Comprehensive insurance is impossible to give you a ballpark figure on, because it depends on the owner's driving history and where you're living.

In terms of buying a car here, you will pay state-based stamp duty of around 4% of the sale price, registration cost varies from state to state, but allow around $700 for 12 months' worth (all states do six months, some do three months). Comprehensive insurance is impossible to give you a ballpark figure on, because it depends on the owner's driving history and where you're living.

That's fab - thanks very much for the info.

Guest mikewheble

Hi all,

I have just posted this in 'removals' but thought it might be helpful here:

Hi all,

We are just about to book for our stuff to go. Basically, I have had quotes from John Masons, PSS, Anglo, Excess and two others. Interestingly Pickfords didn't even bother to call me back!!!

After all things considered, I have decided to go with John Masons. The reasons for this is that I have read some good posts about them plus I get the feeling that they know what they are doing. They weren't the cheapest however I wasn't looking for cheap...I was looking for value though. The most expensive was Anglo and they were about £1,200 more than JM.

I am booking a sole use 40 ft container for my Mitsubishi L200 Raging Bull, my wifes Mini Cooper and 480 cu ft of household goods. The cost is £5,200 for door to door.

Hope this is of some use to someone.

Regards

Mike

Guest hannash
Hi all,

Hi all,

We are just about to book for our stuff to go. Basically, I have had quotes from John Masons, PSS, Anglo, Excess and two others. Interestingly Pickfords didn't even bother to call me back!!!

After all things considered, I have decided to go with John Masons. The reasons for this is that I have read some good posts about them plus I get the feeling that they know what they are doing. They weren't the cheapest however I wasn't looking for cheap...I was looking for value though. The most expensive was Anglo and they were about £1,200 more than JM.

I am booking a sole use 40 ft container for my Mitsubishi L200 Raging Bull, my wifes Mini Cooper and 480 cu ft of household goods. The cost is £5,200 for door to door.

Regards

Mike

good stuff well done ,,is yer man masons looking after all the paper work with the fees and stuff on the other side i had a guy out the other day and he said i have to apply for an export licence myself even before i start

Guest mikewheble
good stuff well done ,,is yer man masons looking after all the paper work with the fees and stuff on the other side i had a guy out the other day and he said i have to apply for an export licence myself even before i start

Hi, yes you have to apply for the export license first and then I am going to drop the cars off at John Masons depot which is near Liverpool (only 20 miles from me). The vehicles will go with the container to Sydney and then I will collect and deal with them at the port the other side.

Hi all,

Hi all,

Regards

Mike

Yes always helpful information.......imagine what life would be like without these forums or computers/internet for that matter.......

I presume you mean both cars are going in the 40 foot container with the 480 cu ft of house stuff........the cost of the container is the main factor for me as I think that is the size we are going to need.......

You say you're sorting out the car stuff once they arrive there, presume this is the customs, AQIS, and state regulations/workshop pits etc.......have you sorted out for the cars to be valued for customs yet ??.....just wondering what other paperwork is involved as I'm planning on taking my vehicle......

Cheers

Carlos

Guest mikewheble
Yes always helpful information.......imagine what life would be like without these forums or computers/internet for that matter.......

I presume you mean both cars are going in the 40 foot container with the 480 cu ft of house stuff........the cost of the container is the main factor for me as I think that is the size we are going to need.......

You say you're sorting out the car stuff once they arrive there, presume this is the customs, AQIS, and state regulations/workshop pits etc.......have you sorted out for the cars to be valued for customs yet ??.....just wondering what other paperwork is involved as I'm planning on taking my vehicle......

Cheers

Carlos

Hi,

Yes both cars and household goods in one 40 ft container. No, I haven't done this before however, there are a number of good websites that you can have a look at. I got a quote from Cargonline however I am not going to use them as it's RORO, they do have quiet a bit of info on their web site which is

http://www.cargoonline.com.au/valuation.php

This might help? The other thing that may help is in their quote were the following costs:

Destination

Customs/Quarantine charges at destination Au$229.00

Local Valuation if required Au$605.00

Customs/Quarantine/DEWR Clearance Au$512.00

Steam Clean if required Au$352.00

Container Cartage ex wharf to depot Au$429.00

Container Unpack at depot Au$418.00

Port/Statutory authority charges at destination Au$528.00

Clearance of Personal Effects if packed in car/container Au$215.00

Delivery at destination (metro area) if required Au$198.00

Hope this helps?

Mike

Hi,

Yes both cars and household goods in one 40 ft container. No, I haven't done this before however, there are a number of good websites that you can have a look at. I got a quote from Cargonline however I am not going to use them as it's RORO, they do have quiet a bit of info on their web site which is

http://www.cargoonline.com.au/valuation.php

This might help? The other thing that may help is in their quote were the following costs:

Destination

Customs/Quarantine charges at destination Au$229.00

Local Valuation if required Au$605.00

Customs/Quarantine/DEWR Clearance Au$512.00

Steam Clean if required Au$352.00

Container Cartage ex wharf to depot Au$429.00

Container Unpack at depot Au$418.00

Port/Statutory authority charges at destination Au$528.00

Clearance of Personal Effects if packed in car/container Au$215.00

Delivery at destination (metro area) if required Au$198.00

Hope this helps?

Mike

Again yes ...all info is useful...if not for me other people on here may be interested...

Your 40 foot container.......is it a standard height, 8'-6" (I believe) or a high cube container 9'-6" (again I believe)

Cheers

Carlos

Guest Sparky49

Hello

Im looking to ship my classic mg midget to oz but was thinking is it worth getting a 40ft'er and bringing my land cruiser 80 series vx aswell, will there be massive cost implications? im v new to this as you most likely can tell!