Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Guest GaryAsh

Hi everyone,

Our visa has just been approved and we go to Perth in April. We are toying with the idea of taking our car and reading the information above (thanks Iron Chef) I think that we can meet the obligations.

My question is more about cost. My reserch tells me that used cars in Oz are expensive and if I try to sell our car now we may lose out on value so bringing our car is worth considering. So does anybody know what the ball park cost is for transporting a car from the UK and by the way it is a Volvo C70 2006?

Gary & Sue

Hi Carlos, if it's the same as the Renault Trafic then servicing should be an issue (I'm pretty sure the Trafic runs that same motor here), but you will die of heat exhaustion without air con so make sure you get it fitted when you get here - if you're planning to run it into the ground, then go for it, just make sure you change the badges to Renault when you sell it or no-one will know what it is ;)

If you can fit it inside a container and put all your personal effects inside it, then that's a better option - because RORO is charged per cubic metre, you'd get whalloped on volume if you took that option, and inner cargo on RORO wouldn't be covered by insurance.

Is that a typo should it be ....shouldn't be an issue...and can I ask if your generalising or have you had specific dealings with the Vivaro/Trafic

I heard that you get charged extra taxes if you fill up your vehicle with your stuff....is this correct or not ??????

'Air Con' I agree would be a must....Dont suppose you got any idea of installed cost for this in WA ??......

Iron Chef,

As mentioned earlier im looking at bringing a Hilux with me next Feb.

You mentioned you could think of more profitable cars for me to Spend 20K Euro on.

Any ideas.

Cheers

Is that a typo should it be ....shouldn't be an issue...and can I ask if your generalising or have you had specific dealings with the Vivaro/Trafic

I heard that you get charged extra taxes if you fill up your vehicle with your stuff....is this correct or not ??????

'Air Con' I agree would be a must....Dont suppose you got any idea of installed cost for this in WA ??......

Yeah that was a typo, and I haven't had any specific dealings with the Trafic - you'd need to speak to a Renault dealership here in Australia if you need more info about servicing, but to be honest, once you have the parts, most cars are pretty easy to service ;)

You will be charged 10% GST (and possibly 5% stamp duty too) on any individual items that are new, not a gift and valued at over $1000AUD, so it depends a bit on what you fill your van with...

Iron Chef,

As mentioned earlier im looking at bringing a Hilux with me next Feb.

You mentioned you could think of more profitable cars for me to Spend 20K Euro on.

Any ideas.

Cheers

See post #125 ;)

Hi Iron Chef, having mulled over the paper work for a Personally Imported Vehicle, i assume that when you have all the required documents in order, you send it off to the address enclosed. I assume within a short period of time and having met the criteria for the scheme, they send some sort of certificate that enables you to import the vehicle to Australia. With this in hand you arrange for your transportation of the vehicle, in my case it will be RO-RO from Southampton to Melbourne.

My Car is a Volvo V40 1.6 (2000) , it has Air conditioning and an after market LPG system fitted by an LPGA Approved stockiest in the UK (certificate need for insurance approval). I assume both AC and LPG systems need to be depresssurised and a certificates would need to be presented to the shipping company to prove so before shipping the car??? I have contacted several LPG Garages in Victoria as to the availability of parts and common knowledge of the system fitted to my car, (BRC LPG) and this proves no problems at all as this type of system is fitted in Australia.

You did mention in your reply to my initial post about my car that i may be able to find parts for the 1.6 V40 in New Zealand, having done a bit of research all i seem to come across is the 1.8 and 2.0 for sale and parts. The 1.6 does carry most of the same drive train parts as the 1.8, Brake disks , pads, clutch assemblies etc etc , are you sure the 1.6 model was sold in NZ?. Any information regarding sourcing of parts would be most helpful,

Do you think its a good idea to contact Volvo Australia or Volvo New Zealand with my engine number and see if they can get parts for my engine type : B4162264651

I do realise that plenty of parts can be sourced on the internet and E-bay etc and most companies ship international. But some parts for Volvos can only be bought through Volvo main dealers, as i found out with a brake calliper component before. Do you have any idea as to how much import tax i will pay on the car if it gets to Australia??, and what i may have to change on the vehicle to make it compliment in Victoria, the speedo clock reads in MPH on the outer band , but also has KPH on the inner band. Are there many other requirements i should worry about? like Tyres, headlamp lens etc etc? Sorry for all the questions dude, but i love my car and just want to make the whole procedure as issue free as possible before i start the whole process

I do understand that you are very busy at the moment and if you can answers some of my queries when you get a chance, or even point me in the right direction on the issues , it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help

Fergal :)

Hi Iron Chef, having mulled over the paper work for a Personally Imported Vehicle, i assume that when you have all the required documents in order, you send it off to the address enclosed. I assume within a short period of time and having met the criteria for the scheme, they send some sort of certificate that enables you to import the vehicle to Australia. With this in hand you arrange for your transportation of the vehicle, in my case it will be RO-RO from Southampton to Melbourne.

My Car is a Volvo V40 1.6 (2000) , it has Air conditioning and an after market LPG system fitted by an LPGA Approved stockiest in the UK (certificate need for insurance approval). I assume both AC and LPG systems need to be depresssurised and a certificates would need to be presented to the shipping company to prove so before shipping the car??? I have contacted several LPG Garages in Victoria as to the availability of parts and common knowledge of the system fitted to my car, (BRC LPG) and this proves no problems at all as this type of system is fitted in Australia.

You did mention in your reply to my initial post about my car that i may be able to find parts for the 1.6 V40 in New Zealand, having done a bit of research all i seem to come across is the 1.8 and 2.0 for sale and parts. The 1.6 does carry most of the same drive train parts as the 1.8, Brake disks , pads, clutch assemblies etc etc , are you sure the 1.6 model was sold in NZ?. Any information regarding sourcing of parts would be most helpful,

Do you think its a good idea to contact Volvo Australia or Volvo New Zealand with my engine number and see if they can get parts for my engine type : B4162264651

I do realise that plenty of parts can be sourced on the internet and E-bay etc and most companies ship international. But some parts for Volvos can only be bought through Volvo main dealers, as i found out with a brake calliper component before. Do you have any idea as to how much import tax i will pay on the car if it gets to Australia??, and what i may have to change on the vehicle to make it compliment in Victoria, the speedo clock reads in MPH on the outer band , but also has KPH on the inner band. Are there many other requirements i should worry about? like Tyres, headlamp lens etc etc? Sorry for all the questions dude, but i love my car and just want to make the whole procedure as issue free as possible before i start the whole process

I do understand that you are very busy at the moment and if you can answers some of my queries when you get a chance, or even point me in the right direction on the issues , it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help

Fergal :)

Dont worry about the parts situation , i talked to Volvo NZ and they said its no probs and should be no probs in Oz either , as all there parts are ordered in Sweden and will take about 4-7 working days to arrive in Oz , my car also shares most parts with the 1.8 and 2.0

I talked to a RO-RO company in Southampton and they said i DON'T need to de- pressurise the AC or the LPG system? for shipping and quoted me £1054 for transport to Melbourne, i just need to present the car at the port and make sure its spotless., and have the Import approval documentation to hand and have a 1/4 tank of fuel in it.

However i would be grateful if you could give me a ball park figure as to how much duty i will pay on the car? (if you can), just a rough guess? Car is Volvo V40, 1.6, 75 thousand miles on the clock, spotless inside and out, mint condition, year of manufacture is 2000.

Also if you could tell me what i may have to do to the car in order to make it road legal for use in Victoria on arrival there.

Cheers mate :)

Hi Iron Chef

I was wondering, is there any way to work out how much Aus will say your car is worth, and therefore you will have to pay tax on? Also do they depreciate it on teh brand new price or the price you paid for it?

I have a 2003 Mini cooper s, I had a quick look on a car sales website, and a similar one with more miles than mine was n a$24,000 which was quite a surprise, as that's about double what it is probably worth here.

What would you think about taking it with me to aus? Cheers

Dont worry about the parts situation , i talked to Volvo NZ and they said its no probs and should be no probs in Oz either , as all there parts are ordered in Sweden and will take about 4-7 working days to arrive in Oz , my car also shares most parts with the 1.8 and 2.0

I talked to a RO-RO company in Southampton and they said i DON'T need to de- pressurise the AC or the LPG system? for shipping and quoted me £1054 for transport to Melbourne, i just need to present the car at the port and make sure its spotless., and have the Import approval documentation to hand and have a 1/4 tank of fuel in it.

However i would be grateful if you could give me a ball park figure as to how much duty i will pay on the car? (if you can), just a rough guess? Car is Volvo V40, 1.6, 75 thousand miles on the clock, spotless inside and out, mint condition, year of manufacture is 2000.

Also if you could tell me what i may have to do to the car in order to make it road legal for use in Victoria on arrival there.

Hi...

Interested to hear about the LPG situation. I will be taking my LPG converted Kia Sorento to Melbourne and was going to check as to whether there were any special requirements. I will most likely be sending my cars RORO to Melbourne as well.

It sounds like from what you've been told you don't need to do anything special....just leave a 1/4 of tank of fuel in both systems.....

Cheers

S

Hi...

Interested to hear about the LPG situation. I will be taking my LPG converted Kia Sorento to Melbourne and was going to check as to whether there were any special requirements. I will most likely be sending my cars RORO to Melbourne as well.

It sounds like from what you've been told you don't need to do anything special....just leave a 1/4 of tank of fuel in both systems.....

Cheers

S

That s what the shipping company said to me Jibbah, 1/4 tank in the Petrol, i will run the LPG tank dry, keeps the weight down and probably a bit of a safer option. (I think) we have to buy a ACME adapter to use their LPG pumps over there as ours in the UK are of the twist and lock "Dutch" Style. These can be purchased off most good LPG stockists or online off BRC website for about £13.

Good news is that LPG is hovering around the 62-65 cent per litre mark in Melbourne at the moment, that's $31 to fill my Volvo :) , The Oz government are putting a higher tax on LPG over the coming years , but nowhere in line with Petrol, they have an abundance of it off their coast and its widely used out there. :) , keeps people like us smiling for miles :jiggy:

Guest fintanok

hi magic chef

i have a skoda octavia elegance 2008 1.9tdi, value here in ireland 17000 aus doller value in oz 22000 aus doller, in your expert opinion is it worth my while taking it to oz with me.

Thanks for contribution to this tread.

thank you

fintan

Sorry for the slow replies guys - I run a car show ALL JAPAN DAY and our event is on tomorrow, so I'm a bit snowed under!

You should be fine for parts then. Yo don't need to worry about the LPG, that's not considered an Ozone depleting substance, unlike R134a in your aircon. They're a bit silly not advising you to degas the aircon. It really is something that should be done - you're not legally required to do it at the UK end, but it will save you a stack of money at this end.

Have a look at the shipping costs I posted above for a comparison with yours. £1054 doesn't actually sound too bad.

In VERY rough terms, work on 20% of your car's value (in the UK) for a ballpark price on customs/GST. It's not a perfect formula by any stretch, but it'll get you in the right area.

Hi Iron Chef

I was wondering, is there any way to work out how much Aus will say your car is worth, and therefore you will have to pay tax on? Also do they depreciate it on teh brand new price or the price you paid for it?

I have a 2003 Mini cooper s, I had a quick look on a car sales website, and a similar one with more miles than mine was n a$24,000 which was quite a surprise, as that's about double what it is probably worth here.

What would you think about taking it with me to aus? Cheers

I think it's probably worth bringing your Mini over, they still fetch good money here. Have a read in an earlier post, I mentioned customs value v market value for how they calculate the vehicle's value for duty/GST.

Hi...

Cheers

S

The LPG system will need to be signed off here by a licenced installer before it can be registered, but that should be fairly straightforward as the method for converting cars to gas is pretty much universal.

Remember that importation and registration are two completely separate processes!

That s what the shipping company said to me Jibbah, 1/4 tank in the Petrol, i will run the LPG tank dry, keeps the weight down and probably a bit of a safer option. (I think) we have to buy a ACME adapter to use their LPG pumps over there as ours in the UK are of the twist and lock "Dutch" Style. These can be purchased off most good LPG stockists or online off BRC website for about £13.

Good news is that LPG is hovering around the 62-65 cent per litre mark in Melbourne at the moment, that's $31 to fill my Volvo :) , The Oz government are putting a higher tax on LPG over the coming years , but nowhere in line with Petrol, they have an abundance of it off their coast and its widely used out there. :) , keeps people like us smiling for miles :jiggy:

We have enough LPG here to last us something like 2000 years at the current rate of usage, so I suspect any attempts by governments to raise tax on LPG will be fairly unpopular ;)

Run down the tank for safety purposes, but the effect on weight is negligible (and your shipping costs are calculated by volume, not by weight)

hi magic chef

i have a skoda octavia elegance 2008 1.9tdi, value here in ireland 17000 aus doller value in oz 22000 aus doller, in your expert opinion is it worth my while taking it to oz with me.

Thanks for contribution to this tread.

thank you

fintan

Hmmm, that's fairly close in terms of price, bring it over if you love it, otherwise I'd say sell it and find one here. Skoda has become quite a popular brand in Australia in the last 12 months or so. The Superb has become the "thinking retirees' car"...

Sorry for the slow replies guys - I run a car show ALL JAPAN DAY and our event is on tomorrow, so I'm a bit snowed under!

You should be fine for parts then. Yo don't need to worry about the LPG, that's not considered an Ozone depleting substance, unlike R134a in your aircon. They're a bit silly not advising you to degas the aircon. It really is something that should be done - you're not legally required to do it at the UK end, but it will save you a stack of money at this end.

Have a look at the shipping costs I posted above for a comparison with yours. £1054 doesn't actually sound too bad.

In VERY rough terms, work on 20% of your car's value (in the UK) for a ballpark price on customs/GST. It's not a perfect formula by any stretch, but it'll get you in the right area.

I think it's probably worth bringing your Mini over, they still fetch good money here. Have a read in an earlier post, I mentioned customs value v market value for how they calculate the vehicle's value for duty/GST.

The LPG system will need to be signed off here by a licenced installer before it can be registered, but that should be fairly straightforward as the method for converting cars to gas is pretty much universal.

Remember that importation and registration are two completely separate processes!

We have enough LPG here to last us something like 2000 years at the current rate of usage, so I suspect any attempts by governments to raise tax on LPG will be fairly unpopular ;)

Run down the tank for safety purposes, but the effect on weight is negligible (and your shipping costs are calculated by volume, not by weight)

Hmmm, that's fairly close in terms of price, bring it over if you love it, otherwise I'd say sell it and find one here. Skoda has become quite a popular brand in Australia in the last 12 months or so. The Superb has become the "thinking retirees' car"...

Thanks for all the info Iron chef, much appreciated, I will deffo de-gas the AC unit, will i need to get a certificate for that? , now that we have " Ironed" :biggrin: out some of the import issuses, what does the whole Registration process involve???? Please dont tell me it is a bureaucratic nightmare , just to get the thing registered and road legal over there :mad:

Thanks again for all of your time and advise , reply when ever you can , no dramas , i do understand that you a busy guy:notworthy:

Guest Roary

Dear IronChef and all

Thank GOD I found this forum, I had no idea it was going to be so complicated to ship a car (we have had experience doing this to Canada and it was so easy we were just automatically going to do it again).

I am going to come over in December 2011 on a PR visa (DH is AUssie). We have a VW Golf Estate 2010, very low mileage, 2.0 diesel engine, that we absolutely love and got a great deal on as we know the dealer. Is it worth bringing? I can't tell if golf estates exist in AUstralia?

THank you so much!

Thanks for all the info Iron chef, much appreciated, I will deffo de-gas the AC unit, will i need to get a certificate for that? , now that we have " Ironed" :biggrin: out some of the import issuses, what does the whole Registration process involve???? Please dont tell me it is a bureaucratic nightmare , just to get the thing registered and road legal over there :mad:

Thanks again for all of your time and advise , reply when ever you can , no dramas , i do understand that you a busy guy:notworthy:

In relative terms it's fairly straightforward, but it does vary from car to car and state to state - mostly minor stuff like child restraint anchor points and flat glass on the rear vision mirrors. The later model your car, the easier it is to meet the requirements.

Dear IronChef and all

Thank GOD I found this forum, I had no idea it was going to be so complicated to ship a car (we have had experience doing this to Canada and it was so easy we were just automatically going to do it again).

I am going to come over in December 2011 on a PR visa (DH is AUssie). We have a VW Golf Estate 2010, very low mileage, 2.0 diesel engine, that we absolutely love and got a great deal on as we know the dealer. Is it worth bringing? I can't tell if golf estates exist in AUstralia?

THank you so much!

Yes definitely worth bringing it over, the wagon (as we call it!) is available here, I actually spotted one the other day for the first time. The 2.0 litre diesel is also available here, so no problems for servicing :)

Guest Roary

That's very good news. My work will pay for the car to be moved so it's just duties etc for us.

If I can ask a cheeky followup: how do you find out what kind of gas is in your AC?

THanks again!

It depends a bit on what year it was built, but in the end it doesn't really matter, if it's an Ozone-depleting substance, you either need to have a permit (about $600 last I checked) or degas it before it comes over.

Here's some more light reading for you - the degas form you need is at the bottom of the page.

Forms - Ozone Depleting Substances and Synthetic Greenhouse Gases

Guest china

Hi Iron Chef

Sorry I can't fin where I wrote to you before - but I asked about finding out how much you are likely to pay tax on a car. I kno wyou have written a post about how they work out the price but when I looked on the gov website, it said they will depreciate the car by a maximum of 28% which could mean paying a lot of tax, is this right? Also do they work it our on the brand new price (this is what I think) or the price you paid for it? This will obviously make a HUGE difference.

Thank you very much, China

Guest GaryAsh

Hi Iron Chef

This is really good information thanks.

Can you recommend a shipping company who can provide a door to door service and handle most of the red tape?

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, I can help you with everything right through to getting the car registered and on the road. I'm an import broker, so aside from a flat fee for my work ($660 if you already have your import approval, $990 if you need my help with that too), the rest of the bills come through to you directly from the suppliers at what they charge - it's a more open setup than paying one lump sum to a moving company and not knowing the real costs.