Weather

Guest Jasp

Hi

haven't been on here for ages. I have a question about the weather in Tassie. I have been told that it is similar to Victoria in that you can get all four season as you do in UK. But we're interested in how warm it gets in the summer (is it hit and miss like UK?), and in the winter do you still get nice sunny days? How severe are the winters? we are thinking about possibly looking at Hobart or Launceston to settle in when we evenutally get there. Have lived in Adelaide and (although we appreciate the differences in weather between states) we're interested in, say how a summer compares (in Tassie) to Adelaide ot Melbourne. All the best.....

Cheers

:notworthy:

Jasp

It is said that you can get all four seasons in a single day here and and I can certainly see why now that I've lived here for a good while. :) Temperatures will vary quite a bit depending on where you plan to settle and your proximity to the mountain if you choose to live in the Hobart area.

Tasmanian Weather and Warnings is the best place to start for a factual view on the weather here.

We are in spring at the moment, yesterday was a balmy 21c or thereabouts and it felt lovely and warm whereas today it is 20c, feels a good deal cooler because of the wind and is pouring with rain.

Last summer I believe that 38c was the hottest recorded temperature where we live, however, one area in the state saw temperatures climb to 42! :swoon:

Autumn was mild and wet. Winter is comparable to an English winter although I find it to be colder than the West Country winters I grew up with. If memory serves, the coldest temperature we experienced this winter was approximately -5c. We often see blue skies during the winter and experience sunny days in with the cold ones. It does snow here but how much you see and where you see it will depend on where you live. Mount Wellington is often covered in snow throughout the winter although you are only likely to see snow on the ground if you live close to it or further inland. We saw a little bit of snow fall here on the other side of the river but not enough to settle and barely any frost at all.

I have been told that it is similar to Victoria in that you can get all four season as you do in UK. But we're interested in how warm it gets in the summer (is it hit and miss like UK?), and in the winter do you still get nice sunny days? How severe are the winters? we are thinking about possibly looking at Hobart or Launceston to settle in when we evenutally get there. Have lived in Adelaide and (although we appreciate the differences in weather between states) we're interested in, say how a summer compares (in Tassie) to Adelaide ot Melbourne. All the best.....

Weather in Tasmania is VERY changeable and unpredictable. It seesaws between big highs of fine, settled weather moving down from the mainland and vigorous westerly fronts from the Southern Ocean, and sometimes more southerly direct from Antarctica.

Last New Year's Eve we had 37 deg. C. in Hobart, the New Year's Eve before that we had snow on the mountain. We've had Christmas Days in the mid thirties and others when we've had to light our wood fire to keep warm. Yesterday was 22 in Hobart, but they're forecasting snow to low levels near the weekend. You learn to dress in layers and be prepared for anything :biggrin:

Because Tasmania has so many hills, mountains and coastline there are a many microclimates, so weather can vary even within 10 km. However the averages and extremes for Hobart and Launceston are here:

Hobart

Hobart climate, averages and extreme weather records

Launceston

Launceston climate, averages and extreme weather records

Hobart is closer to the coast, whereas Launceston is inland in a valley, which gives it higher average maxima in summer but colder, frostier nights in winter.

We do get 30+ days in summer, but unlike Melbourne and Adelaide, they don't go on for weeks and weeks. I lived in Adelaide for 6 years and in my last year there the temperature didn't drop below 30, even at night, for 6 weeks. Here it is very unlikely that anything will last more than 2 or 3 days.

Even in the coldest part of winter there are usually sunny days. It is usually too windy in Hobart for many still, foggy, grey days. It is very rare to get snow to sea level here so, although it can often be seen on the mountains, it rarely affects day to day living for most Tasmanians.

All in all, I think it is a great climate for working for those of us who can't laze around a pool while the servants do the work:wink:

Weather in Tasmania is VERY changeable and unpredictable. It seesaws between big highs of fine, settled weather moving down from the mainland and vigorous westerly fronts from the Southern Ocean, and sometimes more southerly direct from Antarctica.

Last New Year's Eve we had 37 deg. C. in Hobart, the New Year's Eve before that we had snow on the mountain. We've had Christmas Days in the mid thirties and others when we've had to light our wood fire to keep warm. Yesterday was 22 in Hobart, but they're forecasting snow to low levels near the weekend. You learn to dress in layers and be prepared for anything :biggrin:

Because Tasmania has so many hills, mountains and coastline there are a many microclimates, so weather can vary even within 10 km. However the averages and extremes for Hobart and Launceston are here:

Hobart

Hobart climate, averages and extreme weather records

Launceston

Launceston climate, averages and extreme weather records

Hobart is closer to the coast, whereas Launceston is inland in a valley, which gives it higher average maxima in summer but colder, frostier nights in winter.

We do get 30+ days in summer, but unlike Melbourne and Adelaide, they don't go on for weeks and weeks. I lived in Adelaide for 6 years and in my last year there the temperature didn't drop below 30, even at night, for 6 weeks. Here it is very unlikely that anything will last more than 2 or 3 days.

Even in the coldest part of winter there are usually sunny days. It is usually too windy in Hobart for many still, foggy, grey days. It is very rare to get snow to sea level here so, although it can often be seen on the mountains, it rarely affects day to day living for most Tasmanians.

All in all, I think it is a great climate for working for those of us who can't laze around a pool while the servants do the work:wink:

Love the crazyness of it all, just like Uk!

too hot for me last summer but gets colder in the house in winter as houses not as well insulated here unless new build I guess. good not to get too hot with GCH! Bad for you as my mum used to say.

Wow. It IS different - even to the UK!! Thank you all so much for the insight and info you have given us it is definately soemthing to weigh up when considering not just 'the' move but where to move to in Tas if we decide to. Thanks all again!!

Best Wishes

Jasp

Archived