Exporting the car to Oz?

Guest ANDY101

Guest ANDY101

We have decided to take our car to Oz, and we'd love some advice about the pitfalls of paperwork / customs etc. Any lessons you have learned? We plan to fill the car with toys etc to give junior some stuff to play with when we first arrive! Any information about your experiences would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy, Bev and Hugo

Guest Dave53

I suppose it all depends on the type of car you intend to bring over . If it's a run of the mill Vectra , Focus , or say Golf , well they are all available here , and probably cheaper than in the UK . If it's an exotic type , say a Lamborghini , it may be worth it . It is a complex question though . Consider freight costs , import duties and possibly sales tax on arrival . The car will also have to meet Australian Design Rules (ADR) and may involve very costly and time consuming modifications before it can be registered here . If you decide to go ahead with it , beware it will not be all plain sailing !! ..

Guest koala12

Hi Andy

When we emigrated last year I was also thinking of bringing my car over as it was only 2 1/2 years old.....that was until I did some research and found out how expensive it was to ship it! Not only are there the shipping costs to be considered but once it arrives in Oz it has to be inspected, fumigated, etc and also the odometer has to be changed over to kilometres per hour instead of miles per hour....all these things add up and unless you have an expensive rare car I don't think it's worth it......up to you though of course!

Karen

Archived