What d'ya reckon to a Falcon LPG?

rikyuu

hi,

I've been looking on the internet at what car to get in Melbourne for a while and have been very suprised by the high prices of second hand cars, they seem to hold their value very well. I do like unusual cars and 4x4s, but don't like high fuel bills and unreliabiility. I would like to spend about $10k, but have up to $15k.

I have a wife and 2 young kids to ferry around. It has to be automatic (for the rare occassion my wife drives! But I like them too).

I like the Pajero as it's a 4x4 and 7 seats (neither really required but nice to have as we might go skiiing and have visitors), but would be looking at something around '98-'99 for $10k which is quite old and high mileage. Also they guzzle the gas, although some LPG are available.

A sensible option could be a Renault Scenic, nice family car, smaller engine and spacious. But still would be looking at 2002-2004.

Ford Falcon XT LPG Wagon, these depreciate so fast from their $32k+ new price, that a 2006-2007 one with reasonable mileage, full service history, climate control, cruise etc. can be had for $12-13k. I also like the idea of filling up its huge gas tank (100l) for about £30. However, I've read some reports that due to the old tech LPG, they can use amazing amounts of gas, especially when it's very hot. Also they might be too big (5m long)!

There are other wagons available 2-3 years old, such as Mitsubishi Lancer, Holden Viva, Holden Astra, Toyota Corrola.....

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has these cars and what anyone think about them or other options.

cheers

Guest chris955

We have always had LPG vehicles starting with a couple of older Ford Falcons, Mitsubishi Magna and now a Kia People mover. It's the only way I would contemplate running a bigger car. I should say that to fill a 100L tank will cost around $55 to fill which is still really cheap. When we bought our first LPG car it was under 10c a litre :biggrin:

Hiya

I have had a diesel astra and petrol lancer, both were excellent on fuel and good cars to drive but i found we needed more boot space. I now have a twin cab ute (diesel) as we found there are so many places to discover off road, be it beaches or rivers for fishing. I can drive it around like a car but at weekend its big enough for esky,fishing gear,beach stuff and body boards etc. Also miles easier than a car to clean sand out of,lol. Best of it is fuel economy is pretty good to and doesnt cost much more than Lancer the did.

You can find some good deals on/in The trading post and dont forgot not much is selling so you have a good oppurtuinity to haggle.lol.

Cal x

thanks, some good ideas there.

Chris955 - how did you find the Falcon LPG? Was the fuel consumption still reasonable in hot weather? (I read one report saying the 2007 Falcon wagon used something like 40l/100km in 40C on a test route!)

CalNGary - I like the look of the Lancer too and seems reasonable economy for a 2.4l engine. The Astra diesel looks great on fuel too, but seems a bit rare (at least on carsales.com and drive.com).

I know what you mean about 4x4s, I had a Mitsubishi Delica in the UK (which I sold for £1000, but they are about $10000 in Aus, perhaps should have imported but had too much to do to consider it). I did enjoy offroading a lot and love camping and the outdoors. It's just most older 4x4s are petrol in Aus and use a lot of it and it would have to be an older Paj I think (but they still look great and have tons of kit).

ps, is it worth paying the extra and getting something from a dealer (especially with a warranty), or pay much less and get private (but with RWC). I'm a fairly competent mechanic and (until I get a job) will have plenty of time on my hands!

Guest chris955

To be honest fuel consumption wasn't great but because of the cost it did make it viable, there is no way I would run a petrol only Falcon. It vertainly does increase consumption when hot, sometimes the Kia consumption can increase by 40-50%.

I would be inclined to buy privately and take any possible repair costs on the chin, like most modern cars they are reliable and parts are reasonable.

I recently had a BF Falcon XT wagon LPG for about 3 months as work car around Sydney it got a 116L tank but usually only get 102L when the KM to go hits 0. No way was it $30 to fill it was between $56-$59 and I was getting 500-600 Km out of that but that's 80% city.

thanks for all the info there. The Falcons are very reasonable for the age (06-07) compared to others, as I expect there are loads just out of warranty handed back by fleet companies which need to be sold on.

ps I wrote "£30" to fill up, still thinking in English money at the moment, but £30 is about $55 as you say.

Archived