Citizenship

Guest ontheup

Guest ontheup

I have got a bit confused here between PR and Citizenship

My understanding is that you need PR before you can get citizenship and that a PR visa could be cancelled at any time if you were up to no good.

But if we go on my husbands PR visa and he applies for citizenship does that automatically mean it is confered to us or does the whole family have to apply and does this mean we are then dual nationality??

Thanks guys cos I am really confused!!:arghh:

Guest silverstargazer38

My understanding is that you need PR before you can get citizenship and that a PR visa could be cancelled at any time if you were up to no good.

But if we go on my husbands PR visa and he applies for citizenship does that automatically mean it is confered to us or does the whole family have to apply and does this mean we are then dual nationality??

Step 1: Am I eligible?

found this hope it helps

Guest silverstargazer38

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/index.htm

Guest thekeg95

After 2 years in Oz as pr you can apply to become citizens, each person must apply, you then get duel citizenship

STEVE

Guest Dave53
After 2 years in Oz as pr you can apply to become citizens, each person must apply, you then get duel citizenship

STEVE

That's 2 yrs in total . Any time spent outside of Australia in that period is not counted as residency , even for time spent overseas on holiday . In other words , if you arrive in Australia and take 3 months overseas holiday in the first 2 yrs as a resident , you will become eligable for citizenship after 2yrs3mnths . This may sound obvious to most , but it is a point worth clarifying .

In the case of dual citizenship . This is determined by your country of original citizenship and not Australia . For Brits , this is not an issue , but other countries may not be as forthcoming .

The rules for citizenship will change to 4 years before you can apply (I can't remeber if it was july 1st it changed or if it is september)

Ali

It was 1st of July this year Ali,

Which means folks have to have their PR visa and to have entered Australia by 1st July 07 (for good or just to validate) to get Citizenship under the old 2 yr rule, entering Aus after that date means they now come under the new rule of 4 yrs in Aus before you can apply.

Sam xxx

Guest ontheup

Thanks for the info guys, I had checked the IMMI site and the are you eligible bit - should have posted that sorry :wacko:, still made things clear as mud. Didnt know about the 4 year change though bit of a bummer really must have missed that on the immi pages.

Thanks again tho :jiggy:

Guest JohnP

What about voting? Do you qualify to vote with PR or do you need to be a citizen?

And they call this summer..?

112 days to go..

Archived