Cost of living details Darwin for NT SS

veronica

Can anyone help please?i am trying to find out about electricity cost, weekly groceries,fuel etc in Darwin , I have been searching the internet with not a lot of success, we are getting together information required to apply for NT state sponsorship, any web links or any information from anyone who has succesfully got NT sponsorship would be very helpful please.

Hi Veronica,

I live in Darwin and have for the past year so I hope I can help.

We are a family of 5 (3 young children) and this is what we roughly spend:

- Grocery Shopping - $300 per week (includes cleaning products, mozzi repellent, etc but does not include alcohol).

- Electricity - $400 per quarter - this is roughly, ours has ranged fom $250 - $450 depending on the season/weather, but we are very careful with our electricity, running air con is pretty expensive.

- Fuel - $90 a fortnight, fuel up here costs around $1.30 a litre and it depends on how far you commute every day, I don't do many miles.

- Rent - V expensive - we are subsidised by my husbands employer but we pay $600 a fortnight (4 bed house with dbl garage, no pool) - and believe me thats cheap up here, I have friends with a 4 bed house with pool and they paid $800 a week!!

- Intenet and Telephone - again I find this very expensive - I have a combined bill for broadband and telephone and its about $200 a month and we don't make many calls either.

- TV - roughly $60 a month if you want cable, more expensive when you add more packages.

- Private Health Insurance - $60 a fortnight.

Most people are paid fortnightly in Darwin hence the fortnightly payments thing.

If there is anything else I can help with let me know.

Julie

Archived