what house

oldgit

Hi Poms

Here In The Uk A House Is Built Out Of Brick. Over In Oz It Seems Like The Three Little Piggy Story! Can Anyone Tell Me If There Are Any Materials I Should Stay Away From And How Do The Prices Vary With Homes Being Made Out Of Different Materials?

Many Thanks

Simon

Guest DALE&JO
Hi Poms

Here In The Uk A House Is Built Out Of Brick. Over In Oz It Seems Like The Three Little Piggy Story! Can Anyone Tell Me If There Are Any Materials I Should Stay Away From And How Do The Prices Vary With Homes Being Made Out Of Different Materials?

Many Thanks

Simon

Hi!

Mainly the houses over here are brick veneer which are one layer brick and then lined with gyprock. We have lot`s of movement here, the older houses are double brick which they have lot`s of character bit they get a lot of cracks in them also!!

Most are steel or wooden framed ,if wooden it needs to be inspected for termites and treated every few years ,ours is wood with brick exterior and hasnt caused us any problems ,roofs are normally colourbond steel or tiled,hope this helps

Cal x

Guest BullcreekBob
Hi!

Mainly the houses over here are brick veneer which are one layer brick and then lined with gyprock. We have lot`s of movement here, the older houses are double brick which they have lot`s of character bit they get a lot of cracks in them also!!

G'day

Australia is a VERY big place and obviously some parts are very different from other parts.

I don't where Dale & Jo are, but here in WA, houses built in brick veneer are rarer than rocking horse ****. I've never seen one or been in one but I believe that they do exist. As a mortgage broker, I visit lots of people and help them buy their house, and I work with many real estate agents too, so as I said, I do see lots of houses and when I say brick veneer houses are rare, I do have some experience on which to make that claim.

Here in Perth most houses are built with double brick cavity outer walls and single brick or block inner walls. Some other building materials are used like rammed earth, limestone blocks, concrete blocks but their usage is determined by the building regulations imposed by the local council.

Archived