Its going to take forever :O(

gypsy10

I've been reading some peoples posts and they submitted their visa apps. early 2008 and are still waiting waiting waiting. We've only just got our positive skills assessment in July and can't even apply for a visa yet! I wonder how long we'll be waiting just to apply for the visa. :wacko:

Guest Gollywobbler
I've been reading some peoples posts and they submitted their visa apps. early 2008 and are still waiting waiting waiting. We've only just got our positive skills assessment in July and can't even apply for a visa yet! I wonder how long we'll be waiting just to apply for the visa. :wacko:

Hi Gypsy10

Awwww. :hug:

I suspect that it won't be as bad as you think. The Aussie job market is surging, with unemployment falling and a lot of new jobs being created. Employers' leaders are beginning to howl that Australia must increase its annual intake of skilled immigrants and must get those immigrant workers out to Australia quickly.

Some of the journos predict that the new hybrid Government is so fragile that they won't dare to upset the employers, so I suppose that Gillard might have to do a trade-off with the Greens about this one - ie give into the Greens about something else but insist that they support La Gillard in supporting the employers' calls for more immigrant workers.

The whole of Australia blames Evans (the present Minister for Immi) for having stuffed up on the issue of the boat people and encouraging them to keep trying instead of introducing some effective deterrence measures. The whole of Australia would also blame him for stuffing up the skilled migration program if they knew the monumental extent of his bungles with that.

Evans has demonstrated that he is utterly incompetent with skilled immigration. I reckon that the wheels of competence fell off him a couple of years ago. It seems very likely that Gillard will appoint a new Minister for Immi - preferably one with all 4 wheels firmly attached.

A new Minister might well undo many of Evans "reforms." The needs of industry change much sooner and faster than an intensely bureaucratic Government can handle. Evans is still bunkering down in an effort to protect Australia from the recent Global Financial Crisis.

Australian Industry leaders are saying that the GFU is now history and that they now need a large immigrant workforce, and need that workforce to arrive quickly, because of

all the massive development/expansion projects that are happening in Oz.

If Gillard is frightened of the employers, a new Minister for Immi can be told so say that Evans did a brilliant job of controlling immigration during the GFU but the new situation requires new blood and an expansionist attitude to immigration. They can spin doctor it all to please the employers and I suspect that this is what Gillard is likely to want.

Cheers

Gill

Hello Gill,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and also for offering so much information. Its given me some insight into the current situation.

We sit the IELTS on 25th of September so fingers and everything else crossed, that that can be one of the things we can cross off the list.

Gill we are hoping to apply to WA for state sponsorship. Am i right in saying that before the changes came along you applied to the state first and if they sponsored you, you then went onto apply for the relevant visa (176 in our case)? But now is it true that you apply for the visa first and then approach the state (once the SMP has been published)? This way round doesn't make sense to me because if the state doesn't sponsor you it may well be the end of the road, by which time you've already lost your visa fee. Maybe this is a cunning plan to make a few dollars!!! What do you think? Maybe i've got it all wrong :o]

I really feel that I should be pro-active and be getting things together. Would you mind advising me on what I could be doing while we're waiting for the government to pull its finger out to prepare and get a head start on our application? I think the more I leave accessing the forum and the diac website the more lost and in the dark I become. I really need to keep this process at the forefront so it doesn't get lost in day to day life.

Thanks Gill. Its always great to read your posts. I always gain so much out of what you say.

:chatterbox:

Hi

Not sure what the SS will want after the changes but if it stays similar then you will need to provide questions on;

how you researched WA & the regions

what you think your job prospects would be like/ could you sustain yourself

how much money you would be taking

how much your relocation will cost

estimate your costs for living in WA

You will need to list your details, name dob and for your family and attach your skills assessment and CV.

For the visa, you could start scanning documents & have them ready on your PC

Depending on your application;

Copy of bio data from passports

passport photos x2

Birth certificates

Marriage licence

Skills assessment letters

HTH

Sam

Archived