Great news...No IELTS for Nurses!

Guest Magnetic6

Guest thenshow

from the ahpra website http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Overseas-Practitioners.aspx

Exemptions

National Boards (with the exception of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia) may grant an exemption from the requirements where the applicant provides evidence that they:

completed secondary education that was taught and assessed in English in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States of America and

hold tertiary qualifications in the relevant professional discipline that was taught and assessed in English in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States of America.

so only the schools from the said countries will be exempted for ielts?? i do not quite understand this information.. can someone clarify it to me? thank you..

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there

I think what this means is that if you have completed your secondary education in the countries above you only need to provide certified copies of your certificate as evidence and also will need to get your university where you completed your nursing to send you transcript to AHPRA. This transcript is evidence that you where taught in English at a tertiary institution. Your university can also attach a letter on their headed paper confirming that all modules where taught in English. however there are other countries like Zimbabwe who are not stated on the exempt countries yet you can provide evidence of your secondary education certificates as evidence that it was taught in English. Reason for this is that Zimbawbwe is a former British colony hence all the education is done in English and all certificates are issued by Cambridge University, who are also the drivers behind IELTS. I am from zimbabw

e but did my tertiary education here in the UK. So all i had to do was get my Zimbwabwe (Cambridge certificates) certified and got my Uni to send my course transcript directly to AHPRA. Because of this I did not need the IELTS. I hope this helps to clarify things.

• 3 months later...
Guest bindu
Hi there

I think what this means is that if you have completed your secondary education in the countries above you only need to provide certified copies of your certificate as evidence and also will need to get your university where you completed your nursing to send you transcript to AHPRA. This transcript is evidence that you where taught in English at a tertiary institution. Your university can also attach a letter on their headed paper confirming that all modules where taught in English. however there are other countries like Zimbabwe who are not stated on the exempt countries yet you can provide evidence of your secondary education certificates as evidence that it was taught in English. Reason for this is that Zimbawbwe is a former British colony hence all the education is done in English and all certificates are issued by Cambridge University, who are also the drivers behind IELTS. I am from zimbabw

e but did my tertiary education here in the UK. So all i had to do was get my Zimbwabwe (Cambridge certificates) certified and got my Uni to send my course transcript directly to AHPRA. Because of this I did not need the IELTS. I hope this helps to clarify things.

Have you managed to get your registration ?..

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Raajkhobiy Srivigneswary said:

I wish to work in Australia

To work in Australia you need to comply with requirements for skilled occupations.  The various types of visas are described here:    

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Empl/Visa-options-comparison-charts#

If, after reading this, you think you may be eligible, come back to the forum with more detailed questions:

I applied for a 190 visa in 2011 and didn’t need to sit an IELTS for the visa or my AHPRA registration. I just had to get evidence of my secondary and tertiary education taught in the U.K. unfortunately my secondary school had long ago closed down and they had no record of me so I submitted certified copies of my GCSE’s and a stat Dec saying I had been taught in the U.K. and that was enough to satisfy Immigration. My family (husband and dependent children) were added on my 190 visa and none of them had to do IELTS either.

Archived