GSM 176 conditions

Guest DAVE007

Guest DAVE007

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on my secured 176 Visa and it conditions.

I recently arrived in Australia on a 176 and am currently looking for work. Some of the positions I have been interviewing for have a requirement to travel overseas for periods of time, perhaps living in other countries for months at a time. My question is this; with a 176 PR visa, is it possible to set up residence here and then work for an Australian Company overseas without having any seriously implications down the line when time for visa renewal or application for citizenship? I would certainly want to have this option come the time but am concerned that if I work outside the country as an expat, though have a base in Australia, that the Immigration dept might not look favourably at this and may reject applications for renewal / citizenship in 4 years.

I have searched for info on this but struggle to find much. In my discussions with my lawyer at the time she mentioned i must remain in the country for a period to maximise chances of renewal. I asked even if I had a house, car, credit cards etc. and paid Australian tax, would this not be considered fulfilling the requirements of Permanent Resident status? The response wasn't overly clear.

can anyone shed some light on this and advise?

Many thanks in advance....

Dave

Guest Tanner

You will need to live in Aus 2 years within the period of 5 years in order to maintain your PR status (the 2 years are required when you want to come back to Aus on a Resident Return visa).

To apply for Aus Citizenship, you will need to have lived in Aus 4 years continuously, with no more than 90 days away each year, including 1 year as a permanent resident.

All the information is available on Department of Immigration & Citizenship without you having to pay any lawyers.

Regards.

Not sure if this will apply to you since you just have your PR, but some of my colleagues are holders of RRV and they work for the Australian Embassy overseas. I think they are able to secure their permanent residency while they are working overseas because some sort of "Australian ties", maybe there is exception bcause they work for the Aus Gov..

Or perhaps it depends on the Australian company overseas that you mentioned, are there any other employee with the same condition as yours?

Guest DAVE007

Thanks for the information guys. Obviously need to seriously consider the implications of working overseas to not jeopardise the PR. Can anyone shed some light on the Residents Return Visa though... is this easy to get and is the process the same as getting your first PR?

Archived