Some facts for onshore applicants....

Guest TheStig

Guest TheStig

Ok straight out of the hourse's mouth... Just got off the phone with DIAC to clear some doubts; thought might be useful to some there as well. Some of you might have already know this but for the benifit of others;

1. After a GSM application (i.e. 485, 885, 886) is lodged, do I need to apply for a Bridging VISA B to leave the country?

A: No. You can leave the country without having to apply a Bridging VISA B however you need the Bridging visa B to RE-ENTER Australia. You can apply for this at an Australian Counsulate overseas, but the risk is that if its not granted for any reason, then you cannot re-enter the country; So its advisable to apply for a Bridging VISA B BEFORE you leave for overseas.

2. How long is Bridging VISA B valid?

A: The Bridging VISA B is usually valid for 3 months and you need to return to the country before the expiry date, else it will be invalid, and you will need to apply for another bridging visa at an Australian counsulate overseas (subject to approval).

3. What are the 'acceptable reasons' for applying for Bridging VISA B?

A: Visiting family, family wedding, sick relatives etc..

4. Will my GSP application be put on 'hold' or be stopped processing during my time outside of the country?

A: No. The VISA will still be processed according to the Ministerial Direction as set out. However the VISA cannot be granted if the applicant is overseas. If you are on Bridging VISA B, a pre-grant letter will be sent out and you will need to return to the country to get approval.

If you need to go out of the country for more than 3 months (i.e. job oppourtunity..) and Bridging VISA B has expired, you can apply for a tourist VISA to enter the country and get your PR validated.

Hope it helps....

• 2 years later...

Dear friend,

i have just read your post and it was exactly what i was looking for. Specially the part that says:

"If you need to go out of the country for more than 3 months (i.e. job oppourtunity..) and Bridging VISA B has expired, you can apply for a tourist VISA to enter the country and get your PR validated."

I applied for a onshore 886 family sponsored skilled visa in August 2009. However, because of financial issues i had to come back to my country (brazil).

Since then i have been waiting for news from DIAC but i have got none. I'm a little bit afraid of getting my visa refused because i applied onshore but came overseas where i am right now.

Do you think it might be an issue for the DIAC refuse my application???

Tks very much

Fernando

Archived