Wooden Pet Shipping Crates

stargazysky

Hello

We're taking our 2 dogs with us to Oz and thinking of trying to do it all ourselves. Only thing is I'm finding it difficult to find a crate for one of our dogs.. a lanky greyhound. Does anybody know of a firm that makes 'made to measure' wooden crates?

I don't know if you can post links on here? Or whether you'll have to PM me any details.

I wanted to get them early so I could start getting the hounds accustomed to them, feed them in the crates and let them have a little nap in there just so they won't be so freaked out when they're on the flight.

Lou

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Lou

Can I ask why you need a wooden crate, the reason I ask is that as long as they comply with the IATA Live Animal Shipping Regulations then you can use it. I understand that the wood ones are the cheaper way forward but they are usually only good for one journey. If you get a proper dog carrier then you will be able to use it forever. To see some of the ones I am referring to have a look here: Vari kennel airline Sky pet carrier Dog crate

Another thing to consider is that when collecting from quarantine at this end the wood ones are hard to fit in to a car and a lot of people end up leaving them at quarantine which was my next idea, why not contact quarantine if you have one near you and if you have your mind set on a wood one ask if you can purchase one from them, most of them just give them away.

Another option would be to put out a wanted ad in the shed here as there are a lot of people who have returned home who may not require them anymore.

Kate

Guest Guest26012
Hi Lou

Can I ask why you need a wooden crate, the reason I ask is that as long as they comply with the IATA Live Animal Shipping Regulations then you can use it. I understand that the wood ones are the cheaper way forward but they are usually only good for one journey. If you get a proper dog carrier then you will be able to use it forever. To see some of the ones I am referring to have a look here: Vari kennel airline Sky pet carrier Dog crate

Another thing to consider is that when collecting from quarantine at this end the wood ones are hard to fit in to a car and a lot of people end up leaving them at quarantine which was my next idea, why not contact quarantine if you have one near you and if you have your mind set on a wood one ask if you can purchase one from them, most of them just give them away.

Another option would be to put out a wanted ad in the shed here as there are a lot of people who have returned home who may not require them anymore.

Kate

I doubt a greyhound size would fit into a car unless you fold it in half ;mao

Mally

Hello

We shipped our dog to Oz - the wooden crate is a very good idea - they don't really like the plastic ones for some reason. Some friends of ours shipped their dog in a plastic crate and then it got transferred into wood at some point in the trip and they had to pay for it.

We used animal couriers to do the shipment which were a reasonable price - cheaper than some others we tried. They sourced the wooden crate for us and did the paperwork etc.

The dog will have to go into quarantine in one of 3 centres. We used Dog Walking, Dog Care and Dog Treats in Australian Quarantine to walk them during the quarantine process as we do not live nearby.

See below.

JP

tel. no. 00 44 (0)1483 200 123

fax no. 00 44 (0) 1483 200 134

Animalcouriers -- Pet Transport, Pet Shipping and Pet Transportation, UK, Europe, Overseas

Animal Couriers Ltd.

Amberwell

Durfold Wood

Plaistow

West Sussex RH14 0PN

UK

tel. no. 00 44 (0)1483 200 123

fax no. 00 44 (0) 1483 200 134

Animalcouriers -- Pet Transport, Pet Shipping and Pet Transportation, UK, Europe, Overseas

Animal Couriers Ltd.

Amberwell

Durfold Wood

Plaistow

West Sussex RH14 0PN

UK

Hi Lou

Kate

Hi Kate

The vari kennels aren't long enough for our greyhound. He needs a kennel that is 52 inches long and even the Mammoth sized Vari Kennel isn't big enough! I did think about chopping off his legs to make him fit but my husband says that's cruel!

The Wooden crate we got was fine as well - arrived here into Sydney and the dog has subsequently flown internally to Brisbane. The crate would be fine to go back to the UK, so no worries about that.

Our boys travelled in a wooden crate, and they are so heavy without the dogs in them, They are being used for their return journey!

I have seen them on ebay for sale 2nd hand, but you need to be sure of the size you are getting, Ours are a fair good size bigger than the boys, so that they are able to lay down stretch and turn around with ease!

• 1 month later...
Guest claire146

Hi, I've actually just posted a new thread on this, I would love to know how you got on in the end. I'm just looking at crates on the web and have a same problem as you, I have a great dane that won't fit in all the standard crates.

Thanks in advance!

Did you find a company that will let you do some of the paperwork yourself? Also, did you manage to get a crate for your dog. I have just been looking on the Golden Arrow site and they make made to measure crates, but I was a little bit concerned that they want you to leave your dog with them for three days so they can put them in the crates and get them used to them. I don't think Rosie would feel comfortable being put in a crate at a strange place. Also, to me that is another three days added on to the quarantine. I have only just started trying to sort this out and I am getting uptight!!

Did you find a company that will let you do some of the paperwork yourself? Also, did you manage to get a crate for your dog. I have just been looking on the Golden Arrow site and they make made to measure crates, but I was a little bit concerned that they want you to leave your dog with them for three days so they can put them in the crates and get them used to them. I don't think Rosie would feel comfortable being put in a crate at a strange place. Also, to me that is another three days added on to the quarantine. I have only just started trying to sort this out and I am getting uptight!!

Hi we used petairuk, we dropped the boys off in the afternoon of their flights, they were left to explore them for a couple of hours before they went to the airport, it was never suggested to us to leave them there for a few days prior to flying! I don't think i would have been over happy with that suggestion :mad:

I wonder has anybody else heard of an animal being transferred to a wooden crate from a plastic carrier as JBSH said happened to someone they knew. I was wanting to buy the Vari Kennel as I could use it afterwards, plus I can have it at home for quite a while getting my dog used to it. I am a bit worried now, but I know that these Vari Kennels are IATA approved.

Archived