Our experience of moving to the Sunshine Coast

sgperry

hi everyone,

as a way of "giving back" to this forum and to the wonderful people who helped us so much when we were planning our move over from London, I thought I'd outline our experience and observations thus far. If anyone has any particular questions, I am more than happy to help.

We did the "sell the house, ship our stuff and send the pets" thing.

House: in London, took 4 months from the date when offer was accepted to the date we finally moved out. The house sale was probably the most stressful part of the whole "leaving" London part of the journey.

Stuff: we shipped a 20 foot container on 15th June, and our local shippers advised us earlier this week that it is due to arrive in Brisbane on / around 22nd July. We used PSS and they were absolutely brilliant (though we are yet to see whether everything makes it over ok!)

We have also shipped our two vespa scooters in the same container.

Cats: We flew our two cats over - they were collected on 10th June, arrived in Sydney 15th June and were flown up to us on 15th July. Both are absolutely fine for the experience, they were back to normal in hours of being with us. We used Golden Arrow in UK and Dogtainers in Oz (to fly them from Sydney to Sunshine Coast) and highly recommend them both.

Observations on arriving in Oz and trying to get organised: I suggest that after you sort out somewhere to stay for the first few days, the next thing to do is get a mobile phone. A couple of tips:

1 - be aware that to get a prepaid SIM card, you still need to show photo ID and give an Australian address (you just need to give it, not show proof of it). If you don't have an oz address when you get here, see if you can give a friend's. Its only for a prepaid card.

2 - bring an unlocked mobile phone with you. Even an old one will do - this will save you loads of money. And its way easier to unlock phones in the UK than in Oz, from what I have gathered.

Another suggestion: internet access. I suggest if you can, you bring a laptop over with you. When you get here, you can buy a USB stick / dongle like they sell in the UK, from say Telstra. Again, you need ID and address (but not proof of address).

This will work out to be cheaper in the long run than using internet cafes (if you can find one), and is probably way more convenient.

if I think of more observations that might be of help to people, I'll add them.

Any questions, fire away,

regards sg

Guest spongebob

Have just one question at the moment and it will be one of many! I am sorry if this has been asked further down the posts as have yet to read that far down!

What airline did you use? Did you have extra baggage allowance? What was the airline like? Leg room? advise seats not to use? what stopover? What were customs like?

Ok more than one question but lots within one topic of airlines!:laugh:

Thanks. Jennie

Guest itsSHIRLEY

Hi i have questions for you too how much were your costs, how much to take your things over there also how much for the cats, still wondering whether to take mine. thanks

Have just one question at the moment and it will be one of many! I am sorry if this has been asked further down the posts as have yet to read that far down!

What airline did you use? Did you have extra baggage allowance? What was the airline like? Leg room? advise seats not to use? what stopover? What were customs like?

Ok more than one question but lots within one topic of airlines!:laugh:

Thanks. Jennie

hi Jennie,

we flew with Virgin Atlantic from Heathrow via Hong Kong to Sydney and had just 90 minutes stopover.

We were fortunate enough to have almost enough points to fly upper class, so we paid around £500 to bring our balance up to what was required.

Flying Upper Class was definitely worth it for lots of reasons. We had to leave our rented place in London at 11am and so, with all our bags, checked in for the flight at lunchtime even though we didn't fly out until 10.30 pm - so it was like free luggage storage as well. And we got to use the lounge all day, which covered meals, internet and so on.

Also, it gave us a baggage allowance of 3 checked in bags of up to 30kg each, plus two pieces of carry on luggage (I carried a backpack and suit carrier on, my partner took on a laptop bag and fairly large travelbag on wheels.

I would say if you plan it far enough in advance, you can get good deals on biz class flights (basically, Virgin's Upper Class) and in my view it is definitely worth it, especially if you are flying right through to Oz. You feel much better when you arrive.

Regarding customs:

so we arrived in Sydney with all these bags, two luggage trolleys loaded up to the top. In total, 4 suitcases, two large sports bags (checked in luggage), and various bits of hand luggage.

On the customs form, we declared yes to food (doesn't everyone, just to be safe these days after watching "Nothing to Declare" :huh: ) as we had toffee popcorn, teabags, sweets etc. As my partner also had lots of prescribed medication, we ticked yes to "drugs".

Like everyone else, we put our bags through a big xray machine, and the only two they chose to look at were one which had a heatmat in it and one which had tablets. Both belonged to my partner. The staff were very pleasant and asked her politely if she could open them, then they checked the medication (it was fine and allowed through) and checked the heatpad.

The heatpad is one of those things you heat up and put around your shoulders (??) or neck. Anyway, it had rice beads in it, so they wouldn't allow it through. No issues though, not warnings or anything like that.

While checking this bag they happened to spot some cat treats, and because they had meat extract in them, they took those as well. Again, no issues or problems - my partner pleaded with them about the treats but they apologised and said they couldn't allow them in.

And that was it, we were then cleared to go. So they only asked us to open 2 bags out of around 9.

feel free to ask more questions, anything I can share that helps people come over to this wonderful country, more than happy to.

regards sg

Hi i have questions for you too how much were your costs, how much to take your things over there also how much for the cats, still wondering whether to take mine. thanks

hi Shirley,

our costs were roughly as follows:

- cats:

£1,713 with Golden Arrow - for flights etc to Sydney, included collecting them from our home

$1,855 paid to Eastern Creek quarantine station for their imprisonment

$350 paid to Dogtainers in Sydney for their flights to Sunshine Coast airport (included having to buy two plastic carriers for them as Virgin Blue don't allow the big wooden ones they travelled to oz in)

- shipping:

£4,039 paid to PSS for 20 foot container to Brisbane. 3 guys arrived with it on the day in London, they packed everything including our scooters, container was then driven to Tilbury that night, put on train and sent to Felixstowe. I think it left port the following day or two.

The cost included paying £75 for a wooden crate to be built to contain our big plasma tv, which we brought over. Also included insurance on bikes and goods, for around £5k I think. (This is variable, ie if you choose not to worry about insurance, take £500 off the cost.)

- London accommodation:

we completed on our house on 15th June but as we couldn't leave our jobs until 30th June, we rented a short let apartment behind the Tate Modern for 16 nights. It cost us £120 a night, so around £2200 in total but was definitely worth it. We had a 2 bed apartment, free internet, fully equipped kitchen etc. And 2 mins walk from Southwark station.

Though we could have stayed on couches with friends and saved money, we treated this period like a working holiday in London, going for walks in the area, eating out most nights, and having a fun time apart from working, of course :wacko:

And it helped us cope with having just moved out of a gorgeous house - I think as part of doing the big trek across the globe, you not only need to consider financial costs but also peace of mind, emotional stuff too. Doing this really helped me move on from selling my house, I think otherwise I'd have reflected on it too much.

hope some of the above helps. They were our main costs, plus around £500 to top up our points for our flights over.

regards sg

how much to fly cats up ,and was it to brisbane ? where abouts on sunshine coast did you choose ?

hi Micky,

$350 to fly both cats up to Sunshine Coast airport from Sydney. They flew with Virgin Blue, and therefore had to travel in plastic crates. (Virgin Blue can't fit / don't accept wooden crates so we couldn't use the ones they travelled from London to Sydney in.)

The cats were collected in the morning and flown up that afternoon, and we collected them at around 3.30pm.

My father arranged for the wooden crates to be sent up to us via TNT road freight - not sure of the cost. We collected the crates when we went out to visit the girls.

regards sg

PS - We are staying at an apartment on Mount Coolum but have just had an offer accepted on a lovely house at Alexandra Headland, just 600 metres from the beach! Sorting it out today.

Guest spongebob

Hi SG

thanks for that although not sure what the extra costs for 2 adults and 2 kids will be to upgrade but I will def look into it.

Sounds like customs were great and yes I have watched the program along with Border Security which kind of makes me nervous! :rolleyes:

Next question is about rented accommodation although it sounds like you don't have kids so this will prob be easier and less complicated! Did you book some rented accomm before leaving? How easy is it to find some if wait til arrival? did you wing it? Are you in a youth hostel or similar just to tide you over? mind you be difficult with cats! What is the rental like?

Thanks hope your having fun. Am dead jealous, wish it was me!:smile:

Jennie

Hi SG

thanks for that although not sure what the extra costs for 2 adults and 2 kids will be to upgrade but I will def look into it.

Sounds like customs were great and yes I have watched the program along with Border Security which kind of makes me nervous! :rolleyes:

Next question is about rented accommodation although it sounds like you don't have kids so this will prob be easier and less complicated! Did you book some rented accomm before leaving? How easy is it to find some if wait til arrival? did you wing it? Are you in a youth hostel or similar just to tide you over? mind you be difficult with cats! What is the rental like?

Thanks hope your having fun. Am dead jealous, wish it was me!:smile:

Jennie

hi Jennie,

as it happens, we are staying at my mum's at Mount Coolum. So not sure what the rental market is like here, but if its anything like the sales market then there may be bargains. Seems a lot of places here allow cats and small dogs.

I reckon you could get a 2 bed apartment for around $300 a week, walking distance to shops and beach.

regards sg

Guest cazbeckham

SG

Welcome to Australia. Good Luck with the house process.

We have been here for 21 months tomorrow and in our house 20 months and live in Buderim not far from the Sunshine Coast Uni.

IF you want to, when you have moved into your house at Alex maybe we could meet up for a drink at the Alex Surf Club that is if we are not too old for you to want a drink with (oh 60 me 59 but oh so young at heart)

Just drop me a mail on here if you fancy that.

Caz

SG

Welcome to Australia. Good Luck with the house process.

We have been here for 21 months tomorrow and in our house 20 months and live in Buderim not far from the Sunshine Coast Uni.

IF you want to, when you have moved into your house at Alex maybe we could meet up for a drink at the Alex Surf Club that is if we are not too old for you to want a drink with (oh 60 me 59 but oh so young at heart)

Just drop me a mail on here if you fancy that.

Caz

hi Caz,

cheers, yes the house process is a little different over here!

Buderim is gorgeous, by the way. We have it on our list to explore once things quieten down a little.

Definitely be good to meet up once we've settled in, and the Alex Surf Club is perfect for us, being only 10 mins walk from our new home.

cheers Sg

Guest Prawny4

Hope you settled in OK. :biggrin:

We are planning to move to Buderim area with our 4 children in Jan. Just got our visas. Where abouts did you settle? ARe you finding it as expected 1 year on?

Love to hear what you have to say about the locals, social, schools etc.

Regards.

Prawny4.

• 2 years later...
Guest Cazza THFC

From one Caz to another!

Nice to meet you (so to spk). My husband Jim and 2 yr old son Max are moving to Buderim in January 2013. I would really welcome your feedback on the area!! On our arrival we will be staying with relatives but to be honest we will prob hit the ground running with looking for somewhere to rent and of course the job front asap. I am a PA and Jim is a Sparky but of course getting Max settled is our priority.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks,

Cazza

Guest Cazza THFC

Hi Prawny,

Snap! We are moving to Buderim to in Jan with our 2 year old. Be great to hear how your experience has been so far! January will be here before you know it!!! Yikes!

Archived