What is the best state to be a plasterer??

family S

Can only tell you of our experience, here in WA, and not speak for any other state.

We moved over in November 2008, OH already had work lined up through friends here. Things went well for about the first 6 months and then all downhill from there. Now, there may have been some bad feeling behind our backs from his "employer" and particularly his wife, who was the trouser wearer. shall we say. My hubby had been plastering longer than the guy he was working for, so once he got up to speed here, was actually putting more on the walls and therefore earning more meterage than him. He was dropped down to a daily rate of pay and then a few weeks later was told that there was no work available for the foreseeable future.

Spent weeks trawling the papers and driving around trying to secure more work, got a few weeks more with someone else and then this guy starting ignoring calls from my OH. A real worrying time and a huge dent to his confidence, so he had to take factory work just to make ends meet for our family. This was also just a stop gap for him and we was always looking to get out of the factory and start up something else, but hopefully not have to resort back to plastering as he had lost all his "passion" for it.

Luckily he found work with another "pommie" who does property maintenance and hasnt looked back since - he loves the variety of work he does now and hopes he never has to go back to the uncertainty of plastering here.

As I said, this is just one family's experience - others may have brighter stories to tell, but we came over when there was, and still is to some extent (from looking on the surface) an adbundance of work for tradies like him. Maybe it is luck of the draw who you get to work with, where you work, etc etc - am definitely of the opinion of its who you know, not what you know and if your face fits.

Good luck with whatever and wherever you choose to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived