INDIAN students are shunning Australia

Guest indaussie

Guest Gollywobbler
I think from economic data to date it suggests that Australia is one of the few countries NOT reeling under a recession. In fact the treasury is trying to take the heat out of the Australian economy by raising interest rates.It's a long bow to link any downturn in international student numbers to a supposed recession in Oz.

Sue

Hi Sue

Whereabouts in Oz do you live, please? Vague will do - I don't know Oz well enough to have heard of any towns except the main ones. For instance, I've heard of Cairns and Townsville but I probably haven't heard of anywhere much smaller.

The reason I ask is because the pundits have been saying for ages that decimation of the International Student sector around Melbourne is likely to cause a double-dip recession in VIC. Enough people who live around Melbourne have told me this - independently of each other - that I suspect that it is more than just a vague rumour about nothing.

Cheers

Gill

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest true blue sue
Hi Sue

Whereabouts in Oz do you live, please? Vague will do - I don't know Oz well enough to have heard of any towns except the main ones. For instance, I've heard of Cairns and Townsville but I probably haven't heard of anywhere much smaller.

The reason I ask is because the pundits have been saying for ages that decimation of the International Student sector around Melbourne is likely to cause a double-dip recession in VIC. Enough people who live around Melbourne have told me this - independently of each other - that I suspect that it is more than just a vague rumour about nothing.

Cheers

Gill

Gill

You've probably heard of Sydney and that's where I'm from.

If a double dip recession was to hit anywhere, it would occur most likely in Europe or the US, mainly because of the lack of stimulus spending by the governments there. The UK is at particular risk because of the new Government's belt tightening. Nothing to do with International Students. This is according to Joe Stiglitz, chief economist of the World Bank, and winner of the 2001 Nobel Prize in Economics. He's currently in Australia to see why we have been so successful in avoiding the GFC. However, maybe your pundits know something the rest of the experts don't.

Sue

Guest guest36762
Gill

If a double dip recession was to hit anywhere, it would occur most likely in Europe or the US, mainly because of the lack of stimulus spending by the governments there. The UK is at particular risk because of the new Government's belt tightening. Nothing to do with International Students. This is according to Joe Stiglitz, chief economist of the World Bank, and winner of the 2001 Nobel Prize in Economics. He's currently in Australia to see why we have been so successful in avoiding the GFC. However, maybe your pundits know something the rest of the experts don't.

Sue

Hi TBS

so what is an Aussie, who lives in Sydney, doing on PIO?

Guest true blue sue
Hi TBS

so what is an Aussie, who lives in Sydney, doing on PIO?

I have a prospective DIL (Yorkshire lass) who has applied for a de facto visa to stay in Oz after being here on a working holiday. I was curious about what she was up against in getting her visa. Then, I couldn't help rummaging around in the other threads to see what was happening in the migrant's world.

Sue

Guest guest36762
I have a prospective DIL (Yorkshire lass) who has applied for a de facto visa to stay in Oz after being here on a working holiday. I was curious about what she was up against in getting her visa. Then, I couldn't help rummaging around in the other threads to see what was happening in the migrant's world.

Sue

fair enough!

Gill

Sue

Over here in WA we even avoided the first "dip". There were some falls in house prices, as people were expecting the worst, but it just never happened and things have slowly got back to normal. Now the talk is all about labour shortages and interest rate hikes to keep a lid on inflation.

I think the main reason we avoided the "dip" was we have all the minerals in the ground, they are fairly easy to mine (compared to other countries where deep underground mining may be necessary), everyone seems to want them (China mostly) and they are willing to pay lots. The government is bound to claim that it's because of their actions and they may have had a bit of a beneficial effect but we were just lucky.

As for the students we mostly get more from Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia here and not so many Indian students. The ones coming to do degrees like mining engineering, geology and the like need not worry as there is a need in that area. The ones hoping to come as hairdressers and chefs and get PR will have a problem.

a 2% swing in the stock markets or gold price, one way or the other, can have a more substantial affect on the economy than students choosing not to come.

I like the word 'mature', my daughter says I'm just old and an embarrassment to her going to 'school' at my age!!!!!:biglaugh:

I applied for a para planner job since we've been here, also 2 bank teller jobs only to be told that my CV is very impressive, however, I'm too over qualified!!! Perhaps it is an age issue :idea:

Steph

xxxx

Don't worry Steph. I went back to Uni at 31 and did a degree in Computer Systems and Engineering. When we emigrated I was applying for all sorts of jobs at first as I would have done anything to be in work. Had much the same response as you at first. Eventually something will come up. I was out of work in 92 for 5 months when we first came but have never been out of work since.

Don't worry Steph. I went back to Uni at 31 and did a degree in Computer Systems and Engineering. When we emigrated I was applying for all sorts of jobs at first as I would have done anything to be in work. Had much the same response as you at first. Eventually something will come up. I was out of work in 92 for 5 months when we first came but have never been out of work since.

Thanks Paul,

That was just what I needed to hear, I've just had another knock back for a trainee accountants job advertised through my Uni for Commerce students. My friend said they were probably looking for someone under 21 (so they could pay lower wages??).

I'm sure something will come up soon, I'm just a bit frustrated and bored...well, back to Uni next week so at least I'll have something to do!!!

Steph

xxxx

Archived