Not that much work ?

Guest ALVA

Hi everyone, I just thought that I would throw out there a question, Are we the only people who seem to find it hard to get work in carpentry ? We were always told that the ozzies are crying out for carpenters, which was why we were allowed in, although all we have seen so far is very little in the way of new builds or devolpments ! I know we are only here a week, but have been looking frantically every day as we don't want to be out of work very long, but not alot is showing up, every time my hubby phones one of the jobs in the paper he finds that they give him very short answers and aren't interested in him because he is a foreigner, Do they not know that Irish are the most hard working ! ( along with poms of course ! ) Just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experiences ?

Guest fatpom
Do they not know that Irish are the most hard working ! ( along with poms of course ! ) Just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experiences ?

Most hard working... compared to who??? :biglaugh:

Guest wardy

Where abouts are you in Australia. Not that we are there yet but I keep getting told of new developments going up all the time and the extending and building of new towns.

hope someone can help

Kaye

Guest michele'n'michael
Hi everyone, I just thought that I would throw out there a question, Are we the only people who seem to find it hard to get work in carpentry ? We were always told that the ozzies are crying out for carpenters, which was why we were allowed in, although all we have seen so far is very little in the way of new builds or devolpments ! I know we are only here a week, but have been looking frantically every day as we don't want to be out of work very long, but not alot is showing up, every time my hubby phones one of the jobs in the paper he finds that they give him very short answers and aren't interested in him because he is a foreigner, Do they not know that Irish are the most hard working ! ( along with poms of course ! ) Just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experiences ?

Hi I've spoken to someone who has been out to the Gold Coast for a reccie (a joiner) & called in to agencies & had loads of work. Maybe try one for the time being,eh??:yes:

Not directly related but you were referring to Gold Coast? We had an email from a Slovene student of ours saying that she had (hospitality/sports) work, but many others including Candians, Brits etc. found it difficult to find work.

This I think is due to many people moving into SE QLD, both international and domestic, especially the coast, thus strong demand for work but limited supply?

In fact it is probably the less sexy regional cities where there is more carpentry or construction related work, e.g. one I know personally, Yarrawonga, on border of Vic/NSW 250 km north of Melbourne. It has many retirees from Melbourne (who used to retire to SE QLD....) and population has doubled in past 10 years.....accordingly huge amounts of construction going on, not to forgot aged care related services :)

Cheers Andrew

Guest BOOBEAR

Hi Jo,:jiggy:

We're going to oz on a student visa I'm doing hairdressing,which scares the hell out of me as never done anything like it.

My question is my oh is a builder with 30yrs experience and does everything except electrics, his going to be limited to 20hrs a week work and I wondered with your knowledge what you think his chances are of getting a sponsor or any kind of work? being limited to 20hrs.

Also if you don't mind me asking does Paul do wet plastering or is it only render?

Would appreciate any info thanks.:wubclub:

Caroline

PS Do you know what the primary school is like in Beerwah?

Guest BOOBEAR
Hiya...I dont think he will have much problem, Paul at the mo is living a little outside of Beerwah at his mums, In the place he lives there is a new Woolworths being built, along wiht 5000 new houses...Also in Beerwah there is a lot of building work happening right now...The best thing for him to do is walk onto a site and ask, he wont lose anything by asking..I dont think he will have much problem...It appears that wet plastering is on the increase but at the mo its mainly plasterboarding..also lots of rendering too..Paul did a 2 day course just before he went to refresh his rendering skills as he hasnt done it in ages...

Cant help you on the primary school as Gabz is at Delaneys Creek Primary which is close to his mums, only because she will go to secondary in January...The secondary school there seems really good tho ...When we first thought about living in Oz we emailed the schools and they were all willing to admit our children...We have been in touch with Beerwah State High School and they are looking forward to enroling Charlie on our arrival..

Give them a ring I would..and good luck hun

Jo :)

Thanks Jo,

I'm keeping everything crossed!

Caroline.

Guest BOOBEAR

Hi,

Me again, do you remember where Paul done the 2 day course, where not going till xmas if all's well with our meds might seem a long way off too some but it feels like tommorow to me missing my mum before with even gone, still I hope I can deal with that when it comes. god listen to me gone off the subject for mo there.

Caroline.

Guest T in Brisvegas

Hi Alva

a couple of fellow PIOers arrived a short time ago and the hubby is a carpenter and he got work in the first couple of weeks. He went through the centrelink job service.

Teresa

Guest thekeg95

Karratha in WA has a 2 year wait to get a house built as there is nobody there to do the work. The mining camps use prefab Dongas for their staff as they can't get houses built.

Houses are dearer than sydney $450-$600k for a good house 4bed and pool.

Still everone wants citys.

STEVE

Archived