What is your bench mark exchange rate figure?

mr luvpants

Don't get me started on this old chestnut again..... 2.2 .....Anything lower than that and I am afraid it is not commerially viable coming out here. Simple. You will get fek all for your cash and you stand to loose tens of thousands of pounds. Moving here now is only worth doing for new applicants who are just starting out and are budgeting on 1.75.

I think it depends on your circumstances and where you are planning to buy. I've been looking at houses this week in Queensland and the general consensus among agents here is that the market is down, there are few genuine buyers, prices are down and are continuing to fall.

For me, though yes, I would have had more dollars for my pounds if I'd exchanged my money a year ago, I'd also probably have had to pay at least 10% more to buy somewhere.

I imagine places like parts of Sydney and other major cities are a little different, but this seems to be the situation generally, I think.

Guest floater

Quite right, I can get 6% in my account in oz whereas the best I get get here is 2.7%.

We have a house rented for next month and will be looking for a 6 month rental during that time, so that's 7 months taken care of, a lot can happen in 7 months!

Guest FruitBat

Good point about using higher interest accounts to offset the less that inspiring exchange rate. I think there is a 10% 'witholding tax' for those not resident in Oz. Does anyone know about this and how it works??

:)

FB

Guest gratom

Just seen on teletext that Moodys have downgraded Irish gov't debt;that can only make their problems worse.They have pursued a policy of cut-backs and are beginning to move out of recession--what else can they do?.The more I see of the rating agencies the more I believe their credibility is zero after the Lehmann scandel.:embarrassed:

Guest peacock
Just seen on teletext that Moodys have downgraded Irish gov't debt;that can only make their problems worse.They have pursued a policy of cut-backs and are beginning to move out of recession--what else can they do?.The more I see of the rating agencies the more I believe their credibility is zero after the Lehmann scandel.:embarrassed:

I think they are being over cautious to cover them selves, standard and poors are the same.

Quite right, I can get 6% in my account in oz whereas the best I get get here is 2.7%.

We have a house rented for next month and will be looking for a 6 month rental during that time, so that's 7 months taken care of, a lot can happen in 7 months!

That's only because the interest rate is currently 0.25%...... A few years ago I was getting 5.5% on my saving account in the Uk.

Archived