Spiders.. Yes or No

ck10_9

Funny, I just posted this on a diffeent thread.

I've got to be honest and say i'm going to be a bit of a girl with spiders. If there is the slightest chance they could bite someone in the house (or come back in after i have asked them nicely to leave from a safe distance) i'm going to have to splat them.

Ive just recently started looking on youtube to get an idea of the spiders we may have to face when we get over there and i'm not going to be taking any chances with the little (or not so bloody little) buggers.

Steve

Guest Railette

Huntsman arent dangerous ... n not many spiders will kill you it only if you have an allergic reactions so i dunno why people are scard of them

Guest guest36762
Huntsman arent dangerous ... n not many spiders will kill you it only if you have an allergic reactions so i dunno why people are scard of them

I'm not scard of them

I AM scared of them though

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

We've been here since June and I saw my first 'big bugger' last night. Gave me a bit of a scare but at least it was outside.. I was bbqing the dinner when I looked to my left and there is was, sitting on the wall of the house. It scuttled off, so we just closed the doors so it didn't come inside.

I'm terrified of them, but will only kill them if it is a 'him or me' situation. And to be fair, I would have needed a frying pan to squish this one.

Can they harm cats? We've got two moggies and i'm afraid they'll get bitten by one..

Cheers

I'm going to admit with some shame that the first week we were here i was looking behind every door for them, at night i would reach into a room to turn the light on and slowly do a full visual check of the room before entering, especially the bathroom. on top of that all clothes had a good 2 minute shake before being put on, lol.

I've seen one red back on a path at night in the last 4 weeks. we've now settled into normality and know that these things are not climbing through the house on a permanent basis.

we also went to Taronga zoo in Sydney which had an excellent show on spiders where we got to see, red backs, Huntsman and the Sydney Funnel web in jars (about as close as i'd like to get). we were told that without the spiders we would be overrun with mozzies and flies, that there has not been a death in the last 20 years from a spider bite in Sydney and that there has been a known population of black widows in the UK for a number of years. I Can't substantiate any of his claims but we certainly left feeling much safer (due to the good work the spiders do and the rarity of human injury).

That said, I do have a can of mortein which we purchased on our very first shopping trip Just in case a big hairy bugger looks like he's not going to leave nicely ;)

Archived