How many of us are going back in the next couple of months or so...?

Conniebygaslight

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

hijacking the post a bit, but where are you all headed back to? Do you go back to the same village/town? Or somewhere else knowing that you have to start again with the friend, school bit etc. probably easier to do than oz, since you have a heads up on the system/culture etc. I sort of like it here, but its not for me in the long term, just a short term adventure. :goofy: Cant go back to the same place for complicated reasons - but somewhere else in uk.

Hi all

hijacking the post a bit, but where are you all headed back to? Do you go back to the same village/town? Or somewhere else knowing that you have to start again with the friend, school bit etc. probably easier to do than oz, since you have a heads up on the system/culture etc. I sort of like it here, but its not for me in the long term, just a short term adventure. :goofy: Cant go back to the same place for complicated reasons - but somewhere else in uk.

Same village,same school-different house though - really wanted the kids to settle back in quickly and we have a great deal of friends there- hopefully it will be like we've never been away-warts and all

Guest chris955

Speaking for ourselves we would be going back to Somerset or maybe Gloucestershire which is the area all our long term friends live. I was bought up here but my wife has never truly settled and we both love the South West.

Guest siamsusie

Not bothered about a real Ale- just want to feel alive again to be honest- feel like we've been set adrift from the real world here. Feel like it's an Aussie Cult (the kids having to stand to sing the national anthem every week from age 4/5 seems a lttle odd...)
Connie, what is the problem with a child learning the national anthem here? this is Australia, this is Australia's values, I am all for a country having its national pride and respect. Long may it continue. Susie

Guest chris955

Yes sorry I shouldn't have been so flippant, it is a serious matter for those who are undecided about things. I just get sick of the ridiculous generalisations about the UK that get trotted out, no-one has a job, kids just hang around street corners and it rains for 13 months of the year.

Hey no worries Chris... !!!

I guess just very confused at the moment.

Connie, what is the problem with a child learning the national anthem here? this is Australia, this is Australia's values, I am all for a country having its national pride and respect. Long may it continue. Susie

Susie, there is nothing wrong with it but I think having to sing it every week from the age of 4 is a tad much coupled with everything having to be Aussie made,aussie owned,aussie reared, aussie loans, etc gets a bit much.

I agree with your point on national pride - but think they go the extreme- I do think the Uk don't have enough though.

Also they change the words to classic songs and nursery rhymes-Old macdonald had a farm is now old Steve Irwin had a zoo (all aussie animals) yes really!

No longer bill goats gruff but a kangaroo version and the old woman that swallowed a fly is nw the woman that swallowed a mozzie (gotta be Ozzie) and all australian animals!!

Guest MXP78

My husband and I are moving to the UK in the next few months. I'm a Kiwi so am waiting for my spouse visa to come through and then we're off!

We met in New Zealand and have been living in Melbourne for the past 4 years. We do both love it here but my husband has been away from home for 9 years now (5 in NZ, 4 here in Melb) and is really starting to miss his family and friends.

Even though we do both love it here, my husband has found it much harder to fit in and make friends than I have. I think a small part of that could be the male/female thing (I think we find it easier to make friends) but he didn't find it as hard in NZ and made life long friends there. Believe it or not, NZ and Oz culture isn't that similar. We get a lot more British TV over there! Being British he has struggled a bit with the whole "Aussie bloke" culture. I don't want to bag Australia at all as it is a FANTASTIC country and I've made great friends here.

I lived in London for two years about 10 years ago (didn't know my husband then) on my working holiday visa. Back then I was living in crowded flats and partying every weekend so this is going to be a very different experience! Am looking forward to our move, British comedy and seeing more rugby union!

What I'm not looking forward to - the tube! It will be hard to give up my run home along the Yarra river every day.

Guest siamsusie
Susie, there is nothing wrong with it but I think having to sing it every week from the age of 4 is a tad much coupled with everything having to be Aussie made,aussie owned,aussie reared, aussie loans, etc gets a bit much.

I agree with your point on national pride - but think they go the extreme- I do think the Uk don't have enough though.

It's not just Australia Connie, where I work in Asia most schools are there raising and lowering the flag, singing their anthem. To be honest I find it most endearing, teaching the kiddies some pride in their land, and this goes for Australia as well.

I have yet to met one Australian throughout the world which includes my husband who does not hold Australia dear to their hearts and are completely nationalistic.

Aussie owned/loans/aussie made/..... why not Connie? mind you unfortunately the latter is in the minority now but wherever possible I dont want to buy from China etc etc.... I make a concerted effort to buy from Australia.... despite not being a citizen I have immense pride in this land and I am afraid when in Rome do as ......

I guess I must be old fashioned but if I had had children with my Australian husband there would be no doubt that those children would be up there singing the anthem with their hand on their heart with the rest of them!

I do wish you well on your travels back Connie cheers Susie

I do kinda agree with the whole "Proud to be an Aussie" stuff.!!! even tho still not decided about the future here. It is good to have some pride in your homeland, the Americans do the same. Unfortunately the "British" have all left the UK and moved on to pastures new...

I think for me, it will maybe always grass being greener.! Cant decide if Melbourne is the right place, or if its just Australia in general...

I find Melbourne to be particularly unattractive (but I am in the west).

Wonder if we should consider a move to BrisVegas or Perth, before returning back to the UK...

Guest guest36762
Also they change the words to classic songs and nursery rhymes-Old macdonald had a farm is now old Steve Irwin had a zoo (all aussie animals) yes really!

No longer bill goats gruff but a kangaroo version and the old woman that swallowed a fly is nw the woman that swallowed a mozzie (gotta be Ozzie) and all australian animals!!

Aw look, you gotta frickin problem with that Sheila?

Guest siamsusie

Aw look, you gotta frickin problem with that Sheila?
:hug:morning Doms, which Sheila:laugh: Moi??

Guest siamsusie
I do kinda agree with the whole "Proud to be an Aussie" stuff.!!! even tho still not decided about the future here. It is good to have some pride in your homeland, the Americans do the same. Unfortunately the "British" have all left the UK and moved on to pastures new...

I think for me, it will maybe always grass being greener.! Cant decide if Melbourne is the right place, or if its just Australia in general...

I find Melbourne to be particularly unattractive (but I am in the west).

Wonder if we should consider a move to BrisVegas or Perth, before returning back to the UK...

Northern Pommy, if funds allow it, I would recommend visiting a few other states before the grande finale, you never know eh ....:wink:

Guest guest36762
:hug:morning Doms, which Sheila:laugh: Moi??

Nah mate I was actually referring Connie Sheila not Susie Sheila

It's not just Australia Connie, where I work in Asia most schools are there raising and lowering the flag, singing their anthem. To be honest I find it most endearing, teaching the kiddies some pride in their land, and this goes for Australia as well.

Hi Susie,

Same in Canada with the National Anthem and flag raising. My girls were taught from the time they entered kindy to sing the National Anthem. Every morning in school in Canada they play the national anthem before they get to do anything else.

I don't see anything wrong with having pride for the country that you live in.... like it has been posted before, I think that the UK is lacking that pride, and I am not sure when they lost it, I still remember the silver jubilee of 1977, and the streets were filled with union jacks and everyone was very patriotic back then.

Cheers

Karen

p.s. I still know all the words to O Canada but can't remember all the words to god save the queen.... sad isn't it !!

Guest funkymonkey

Here we go........:SLEEP:

Guest rachellh

I've been counting down since July 2009 and finally I can say that we're flying out of here in just 10 days now and I can hardly sleep for the excitement!

We already left Perth 2 weeks ago and are now wishing time away in a series of 3 (deeply depressing) rental properties in Sydney while my husband works in the city.

Our shipment is currently bobbing around out at sea and our dog has already flown back and is waiting for us with family. We've already rented a house in UK for our return (what a 3 act drama that was) and have bought a car that will be waiting for us when we land. Driving licenses have been changed, nursery spots booked and my daughter starts at her new school (a decent education finally) a month later.

It's taken a year of planning to get to where we are now, with a trip back to the UK to sort stuff out in between. I'm glad we organised the move properly for our return - unlike when we initially decided to come to Perth and my husband flew out just 4 days later!

Now just looking forward to being home and hopefully enjoying the rest of that lovely summer they're having. And when the UK winter does start, well I've already stocked up on cheap Uggs and Ugg gloves and I'll just enjoy making the most of central heating and quality house building (with insulation) while I look forward to Xmas!

Did I mention just how excited we are to be leaving???!!!!!

In case you're interested, here's my latest blog on why exactly I need to go home..

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Hi Susie,

Same in Canada with the National Anthem and flag raising. My girls were taught from the time they entered kindy to sing the National Anthem. Every morning in school in Canada they play the national anthem before they get to do anything else.

I don't see anything wrong with having pride for the country that you live in.... like it has been posted before, I think that the UK is lacking that pride, and I am not sure when they lost it, I still remember the silver jubilee of 1977, and the streets were filled with union jacks and everyone was very patriotic back then.

Cheers

Karen

p.s. I still know all the words to O Canada but can't remember all the words to god save the queen.... sad isn't it !!

Totally agree Twinsmom.. I love to see national pride in the country, its healthy. Fortunately that very same spirit remains in Holland and I sincerely hope that the Uk finds its feet again.

:hug:Susie x

I have yet to met one Australian throughout the world which includes my husband who does not hold Australia dear to their hearts and are completely nationalistic.

Aussie owned/loans/aussie made/..... why not Connie? mind you unfortunately the latter is in the minority now but wherever possible I dont want to buy from China etc etc.... I make a concerted effort to buy from Australia.... despite not being a citizen I have immense pride in this land and I am afraid when in Rome do as ......

I guess I must be old fashioned but if I had had children with my Australian husband there would be no doubt that those children would be up there singing the anthem with their hand on their heart with the rest of them!

I do wish you well on your travels back Connie cheers Susie

Don't get me wrong Susie, I think that it's graet to have pride in your nation but they seem to see nothing else- if it's not Aussie then it's no good. As I've said before I wish the UK was half as patriotic. However when I said this to my Aussie friend she said the Aussie's are not patriotic they are racist- her words not mine. It's all subjective.

Guest guest36762

I was having a beer with a really unusual Aussie bloke the other day. His thoughts mirrored many of my own. He views Australia as being like a stroppy sulky teenager at a family do, whom all the grown ups humour or just ignore. Hence all this 'aussie this' 'Aussie that' 'Aussie Aussie Aussie' stuff is just the tub thumping of a deeply insecure, quite immature brat.

Needless to say we got on very well, and we'll be having more beers again soon.

I too have nothing against nataional pride so long as its not shoved down your throat. Personally I don't mind the kids being taught the National anthem and singing it every day. I do think Aussies are much more appreciative of their land than us brits

I've been counting down since July 2009 and finally I can say that we're flying out of here in just 10 days now and I can hardly sleep for the excitement!

We already left Perth 2 weeks ago and are now wishing time away in a series of 3 (deeply depressing) rental properties in Sydney while my husband works in the city.

Our shipment is currently bobbing around out at sea and our dog has already flown back and is waiting for us with family. We've already rented a house in UK for our return (what a 3 act drama that was) and have bought a car that will be waiting for us when we land. Driving licenses have been changed, nursery spots booked and my daughter starts at her new school (a decent education finally) a month later.

It's taken a year of planning to get to where we are now, with a trip back to the UK to sort stuff out in between. I'm glad we organised the move properly for our return - unlike when we initially decided to come to Perth and my husband flew out just 4 days later!

Now just looking forward to being home and hopefully enjoying the rest of that lovely summer they're having. And when the UK winter does start, well I've already stocked up on cheap Uggs and Ugg gloves and I'll just enjoy making the make of central heating and quality house building (with insulation) while I look forward to Xmas!

Did I mention just how excited we are to be leaving???!!!!!

Rachel :biggrin:

All the best Rachel, how long were you here? and where are you going back to?

Archived