Mum with Diabetes

bartlett

Hi all

My parents are coming to vist me in Melbourne in January for 3 months they live in Spain but have British Passports my mum has type1 diabetes and needs insulin she was asking me if you can buy insuiln over the counter or have to see a doctor she is not sure if she can get 3 months worth of insulin from her doctor in Spain.I have looked on the internet and it is not clear i think i might have to go to the doctors and ask.

Thanks

Heidi

Medicare should cover her for any treatment and prescriptions she needs. There is a reciprocal agreement with UK. I am not 100% sure if you have to be a UK resident for that though, or if it applies for all of europe for that matter. You might need to get clarification on that.

It will make life easier if she can bring a current prescription with her (to show the GP here so that he knows she needs the meds she is asking for) or a letter.

In fact she will need a doctor's letter for the flight as she will have to carry syringes etc, so that letter could be used for both the flight and the GP visit here perhaps??

Do make sure that she takes out adequate travel insurance as well though.

Guest brooksey

I'm sure what BuddysMum says is correct. But just in case, you can deffinately buy it over the counter at Chemists.

Have a look at this medicare information it explains it all.

Visitors to Australia - United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Malta and Italy - Medicare Australia

Also have a look at Diabetes Australia.

Good idea to look at the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme to make sure your mum's insulin is available on the scheme if it isnt then she would have to pay full price for it.

Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Drug Listings

My daughter is a type 1 diabetic so if you want any info just ask.

Archived