Education costs

AoifesMum

Hello,

My partner has been offered a job in Canberra. We plan to be out with you all in October. We have a 5 year old and wondered about education costs. I have read they are around $4,500 per year. However, he is a civil engineer and I was wondering whether we may get free education as this is one of the proefessions on the wanted list - ??? Maybe just wishful thinking! :laugh:

Hello,

My partner has been offered a job in Canberra. We plan to be out with you all in October. We have a 5 year old and wondered about education costs. I have read they are around $4,500 per year. However, he is a civil engineer and I was wondering whether we may get free education as this is one of the proefessions on the wanted list - ??? Maybe just wishful thinking! :laugh:

On a 457 visa? They are more than $4.5k though but check the link to information sheet 2 http://www.det.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/19461/ETV2005chargingpolicy.pdf (scroll down nearly to the bottom) which gives the possible waivers if you are on a 457 - occupation will need to be on MODL) If not it will be $9320 pa. If not on a temporary visa then they will be free.

It is cheaper to go to a Catholic school where AFAIK they will only charge domestic fees for 457 visa holders.

You will have to follow the links and get a determination in writing about whether international fees are payable or not.

Thanks Quoll! You should set yourself up as an independent emigration advisor! The info we had regarding school fees came from the company my partner will be working for and a link they sent through from the education department. This whole thing is now getting so stressful as we cannot accept the job offer until we are sure we can afford to live over with you. It is complicated by the fact that I will not really be available for work for a good few months, if I have to take something, as we will have our daughter and newborn baby to think about. So our figures have to be correct. To be honest, if the school fees are that high I may home school her as I don't think we can realistically afford them. Thanks again!

Dont give up, I would actually call the international students section and give them whatever information you have and ask for a determination (in writing!!!) - I think there was a number somewhere on that site. They will ask for a copy of your visa or at least what type of visa it is and what your husband's occupation is. I wouldnt rely on emails but actually speak to a real live human being and get a name to correspond with.

If they do say that you will be up for fees then contact the Catholic education office - last time I asked them they were only charging domestic fees for 457 candidates and that is about $3k pa.

For home schooling you will need to apply to the department and provide evidence of a curriculum etc

Thanks again Quoll. we have contacted the relevant people and found out that we would be entitled to free education as my partner is a civil engineer, which is on the list (actually he qualifies under 2 cataegories as he will be filling a position as an engineering manager also). It is so helpful to have this site. I am currently veering between excitement and uncertainty, it's a strange feeling I guess everyone experiences. It's such a big step but then the way the employment situation is over here (added to the fab job offer and life Oz could offer) it is also so attractive. It's just so far away and I'm scared I will be hideously homesick and find it financially difficult to return. One thing is for sure, if we decide to take the plunge it must be a case of embracing a new life (even if it will be fairly temporary for us) NOT trying to make it an extension of the UK. Once again, thank you.

• 9 months later...
Guest colsha7

hi there,

my husband has been offered a job in Canberra, 457, he is a nurse. any info on school fees greatly appreciated.

sharon.xx

hi there,

my husband has been offered a job in Canberra, 457, he is a nurse. any info on school fees greatly appreciated.

sharon.xx

I would imagine that nurse is on SOL but your best bet is to contact the International Students Section and get in writing their decision about whether fees will be levied or not.

http://www.det.act.gov.au/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_F0C9C1B640D0736CAE44574E2268BABC22690100/filename/2011_Application_Temp_Residents_Printable.pdf this is the form that you have to fill out and it gives you the fee structure (which will probably give you a heart attack) but at the end of it all there is a contact email and you really do need to have their decision (that might be slightly out of date fees wise, it was the link I had bookmarked from last year)

If worst comes to worst and they say you have to pay fees then have a look at the Catholic system because they only charge local fees for 457 visa holders

hi there,

sharon.xx

Hi Sharon,

My partner is actually over in Canberra now (since Feb) - loves it and we're joining him June 9th (hopefully for three or so years). We have a five year old and a nine month old. Fancy emailing me and I can give you info that may be helpful and maybe even meet up if (or when) you're over? How old are your children?

Helen

Archived