Disohonesty by Politicians on asylum seekers

melbournegirlinny

Here is a very good article from The Age on how the new PM is taking the same dishonest road as Tony Abbott on the tiny number of asylum seekers arriving by boat. I know Julian Burnside QC who speaks in this article-he is a very talented barrister and has done an enormous amount of free legal work for people on civil rights issues.

Gillard urged to be honest on aslyum seekers

Sandra

Guest cham11

I was just reading this...looks like they will keep pandering to the fear that Australia is being overrun by "illegals" (nevermind that they might be genuine refugees). Julian Burnside is a great man...he does talks all the time on the issue.

I agree with you too. I just saw a typo in the heading I wrote but cannot see how to edit that? Yes, Julian has been involved with civil rights in victoria for years and does some wonderful work. I hate the way the newspapers don't generally question the pollie's comments about these tiny numbers of boat people trying to get to Australia. It infuriates me!

I was just reading this...looks like they will keep pandering to the fear that Australia is being overrun by "illegals" (nevermind that they might be genuine refugees). Julian Burnside is a great man...he does talks all the time on the issue.

I think the issue is, Aussies have no problems with genuine refugees, but we get very suspect when these so called genuine refugees destroy their passports and hide their identity. If they come from Sri Lanka well bring your identity with you, not throw it overboard when you reach our shores. Genuine refugees are welcome, and yes we have room for them.

Guest chris955

Dishonesty by politicians, I really can't believe that.

I heard this morning it would take 20 years to fill the MCG with boat people at the rate they are 'pouring' in.

Archived