Pet Passport

Guest shie6523

Guest shie6523

Hi everybody.

I will be moving to Sydney in the coming months and will be taking my pet dog with me.

My biggest concern at the minute, is going over there and finding out that it’s “not really for me”.

In terms of coming back to the UK with my dog, has anybody used the Pet Passport service?

If so, please can you confirm whether I have understood this correctly?

To be eligible to get my dog back into the UK, my dog::

· Must be microchip fitted (this has been done here in the UK)

· Vaccinated against rabies (I assume this has to be done in Oz?)

· Not have visited any non-approved EU countries before coming back to the UK

· Be blood tested and have a satisfactory result by an EU approved lab (does this mean a lab in Oz which has been EU approved?)

· Must have stayed in Oz for 6 months from the date his blood samples were taken before re-entering the UK

· Issued with a Pet Passport by a vet in Oz

· Be treated against tapeworm & ticks between 24 and 48 hours of flying out from Oz

· Travels back into the UK on a PETS approved flight route

So if my understanding is right, if things don’t work out for me in Oz, I can:

· Come straight back to the UK but leave my dog in Oz for 6 months ensuring I take care of all of the above whilst he’s in Oz and I’m in the UK

· Stick it out for 6 months, take care of all of the above whilst I’m over there and then eventually fly back at approximately the same time i.e. 6 months after we initially arrived in Oz

Has anybody ever came back to the UK and left their dog in Oz? If so, how easy was it to manage his vaccinations, blood tests etc from the UK? And also, was it an expense process in terms of paying for his kennel fees whilst being left over there?

If anybody can give me any advice on this issue I’d be most grateful.

Thanks

Darren.

Guest dawnpepper

i can't answer all your questions but we did go down the pet passport route, just in case. We did it all from the Uk end so our dogs were ready to go with us and come back at the same time if necessary. You don't officially need the rabies vaccine to get your dogs into oz. And I must admit we have no intention of going back to the Uk but the passports came in very useful when I needed to register the dogs with the local council because the passports acted as proof that they were both neutered so we got the cheaper fees. I am glad we did it as it did give us some extra peace of mind but we probably wont revaccinate them against rabies in 3 years as by then the dogs would be too old to go back to the UK anyway and we are loving it here. Good luck with all your decisions. We shipped with Golden Arrow and between them and our vets all our questions were answered regarding pet passports.

Dawn.

Guest chrismoo

Darren,

When are you going to Sydney? If I were you I'd get the ball rolling on the pet passport, my understanding is that the date it is issued, they can leave the UK on it, but they can't return for 6 months after the date of issue. I am just about to get Hooli's issued, so that if needs be, he should be able to return from January 2011 onwards (if I manage to get him out there by then!)

Christina

Hi there,

We used petair.uk to bring the dogs over to Australia, and they offered to do the pet passport at the same time for the very reason that you may decide to return to the uk, It will save you an awful lot of time if you do this, for the said reasons mentioned above, as all you need to do whilst in Australia is keep up with the rabies booster jab! Hence no 7 month wait to return to the uk, If they don't offer it to you, then ask!

I had the rabies test's done here (WA) instead off the passport the other end ( UK), we used an aquis registered vet as some don't deal with it , he had all his tests and rabies and had to do 6 months living quarantine here from the date of passing his tests , he can go home at any time as long as he has his rabies booster at at the required time ! ( were not but i will not let it slide never say never ) don't forget to go the vets over here when you get your pets to check out all the vaccinations etc like heartworm , we have this done yearly .

Guest BeverleyR

We've seen lots of good stuff about Golden Arrow on PIO and will be getting a quote from them, we have had one quote from Petair for 900quid silver service and 1900quid for gold, is Golden arrow comparable?

Guest dawnpepper

we paid £3300 for the two dogs and the service was fantastic. Money well spent.

Dawn.

Guest BeverleyR

Spoke to Golden Arrow today, the lady was fab, she seemed to understand exactly how I was feeling about my boy and was just so matter of fact and re-assuring, somehow now it doesnt seem so bad!

She said she would tell me what to do and when at every stage and send all the info on the tests so that I can get them done at my own vets who Fergie is used to - she did say tho to get a quote from the vet before we start just in case!

We're waiting for the quote to see how they compare to the other one.

Guest dawnpepper
Spoke to Golden Arrow today, the lady was fab, she seemed to understand exactly how I was feeling about my boy and was just so matter of fact and re-assuring, somehow now it doesnt seem so bad!

She said she would tell me what to do and when at every stage and send all the info on the tests so that I can get them done at my own vets who Fergie is used to - she did say tho to get a quote from the vet before we start just in case!

We felt the same way. Our male dalmatian had already come through Dalmatian Welfare when we had him at 22 months old and were very worried about the separation, flight and quarantine for him. Golden Arrow just did it all right as far as we were concerned and Pepper and domino arrived here without any problems at all and are now loving the outdoor life here. Good luck with all your plans,

Dawn

Thats one of the reasons we used them so we could use our own vets , honestly they were all great would def use them again !

I used Golden Arrow too for our baby and they were SUPERB... He had never been in a kennel in his life, so was really scared but they looked after him. He is home with us now, and we have sorted our the rabies vaccination and blood test, so he can go back to UK with us in six month if we decide to go back...

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BeverleyR

We've had the quote back now at £1475 - am waiting for a quote from my vet for the necessary but although it might work out slightly more expensive than the other quote, I feel like Golden Arrow were much more interested in Fergie as an individual dog rather than just a piece of freight. They have asked about his habits and his temperament whereas the others just asked his size and gave me a price.The other thing they mentioned if anyone is interested is that Melbourne and Perth currently have a waiting list of 4-5 months for space, although Sydney is still OK, so if you are, like us working on a new year move, you might need to sort out a quarantine spot sooner rather than later.

Archived