joiner/carpenter tradies help please

clan mac

Hi All,

OH will be sitting his vetassess practical for carpenter/joiner in August. Would anyone who has recently passed their joinery/carpentry practical (May 2010), mind posting what was involved please?

I have read some posts on here and Matt (Wolla Bolla Bing Bong) advised me what he did in his practical last year. (big thanx Matt! ::notworthy:) I just want to check to see if anything much has changed please?

grateful thanks

clan mac x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deemon

Hi there, i am re taking mine in aug as i failed in may!!! Which test are you taking , joinery or carpentry?

If it is joinery ill give you a full run down of what to expect, where are you taking it and on what date?

cheers

Dave

Guest eddymunki

Passed Joinery in May.

Is same as last couple of years as far as everyone i knows done it !

Make saw horse from drawing all angles and height checked at end.

Machine raw timber on static machines. Face side and face edge on table plane, rip on rip saw, thicknesser, then 10x 10 rebate on spindle. Your told finished size to get to.

Make sure your ****hot with PPE is a big part !!!!

Draw out full size panel door showing joints for stiles and muntin.

Make haunched mortice and tennon with timber you machined earlier.

Plane timber with handheld electric plane, cross cut with handheld circular saw, rip with handheld circular saw.

Sharpen 25mm chisel on a grinding wheel.

Answer about 40 questions about trade.

Questions range from Whats grinding angle for a chisel ? to whats max riser and min tread on a set of stairs !

Thats about it ! Carpenters have to do a hip roof on a 8x4 sheet instead of the drawing of a door i think thats the only difference.

If your qualified or time served its no problem. I was really nervous on the day but the chap taking the course was fantastic. He reworded questions to help you answer he asked questions when i was setting up the machines and forgot to put guard down. They wont tell you the answer but can hint you in right direction !

I cant say dont worry because everyone does, just go in confident in your own abilitys and try your best if you know the job they will see that and youll get a pass !!!!

If you need anymore advise message me.

Hope all goes well for you.

Regards Ed

Hi Guys,

Sincere thanks for your replies.

Ian is sitting his carpentry vetassess on 9th August at Preston Vocational Centre. I believe that the tests haven't really changed over the last couple of years. Ian is wondering if they give you the sizes for the hip roof on the day, he is starting to panic a bit. We have just bought a load of timber so that he can practice making mini roofs!!! JOY!!!

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. Dave what day you doing your test?

cheers Lorraine and Ian (clan mac) x

Guest woodwood24

I took the carpentry test last year.It was really easy ,work horse ,made a rob for fitting a window plus door and then pitch a roof(measurement given).Also planned a timber using a electic planner .The interview was a bit weird,he started to ask questions about concrete but there were some carpentry. You are mainly there to show your skills with your hand tools and that you can talk the talk. As long as he is a Carpenter your husband will pass no problems

Guest ChiltzandTig
Hi Guys,

Sincere thanks for your replies.

Ian is sitting his carpentry vetassess on 9th August at Preston Vocational Centre. I believe that the tests haven't really changed over the last couple of years. Ian is wondering if they give you the sizes for the hip roof on the day, he is starting to panic a bit. We have just bought a load of timber so that he can practice making mini roofs!!! JOY!!!

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. Dave what day you doing your test?

cheers Lorraine and Ian (clan mac) x

hi ian, did my test in may at preston, there were five of us doing the test and it was a good day.... try not to panic! i know "test" nighmare! if you know your stuff your going to be fine. first up is the saw horse, made to their spec and all on a plan that they give you. after that we set out a pattern stud, again from a drawing. we were given some mutiple choice questions, asked to name and identifiy scaffold parts. we were then on to the roof, its all in 3 x 2 and is pitched on to a sheet of ply with the plate all ready on it. all you have to do is set it out, fit four common rafters, one crown rafter, both hips, and two jack rafters. then one ceiling joist and cut and fit ceiling joists into the hiped end. no cutting the rafter ends off, but i did mark them ready to cut. the roof is pitched at thirty degrees. they check the ridge hight when you've finished. finally they get you to cross cut a piece of 3x2 with a skill saw, then rip it down the length to 36mm. then a bit of power planing, fairly easy...... take all ppe equipment, goggles and ear defenders and use them when using the power tools. no hard hat required. i didn't have the ear defenders but the brickie examiner lent me some..... top man! there was a load of questions throughout the day on all sorts of stuff. regards chiltz

ps. the day ran from 8am til 6pm and was totally full on!

Hi Chiltz,

Thanks for your post, it is really helpful. I know nothing about roofs but it made perfect sense to Ian, he is quite happy now as you have provided the finer details that he was looking for, (roof pitch etc!!!)

We really appreciate all of the replies - HUGE thanks. People here are so kind. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

clan mac x

Guest deemon

13th in accrington!!! i had a real arse of a bloke 1st time round and he failed 3 out of 4 of us for petty little things...anyway after talking to vetessess thay gave me the benifit of the doubt and have refunded my retake fee $800!!!!!!!!!!! and i have spoken to the guy who is assessing in august and he sounds great.. he is from manchester and called Mark and if you have got him you will be just fine...good luck keep me posted how ya go..

Hi Dave,

sound like the guy you had was having a bad day. I'm glad that they refunded your retake fee. Thanks for the info re August. Best of luck in your test likewise let us know how you do.

cheers

clan mac

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hlandells

Hi people, have got my skills test book for tuesday coming in Preston. Think i should be ok with all that has been talked about, quite nervous though. Can anyone tell me if you have to find out the angles for the roof or are these given to you?????

Hi people, have got my skills test book for tuesday coming in Preston. Think i should be ok with all that has been talked about, quite nervous though. Can anyone tell me if you have to find out the angles for the roof or are these given to you?????

Its straight forward the pitch roof you have to make is set out on 8x4 ply sheet, it has to be 600mm high and set at 30 degree pitch

proview

Hi Dave,

sound like the guy you had was having a bad day. I'm glad that they refunded your retake fee. Thanks for the info re August. Best of luck in your test likewise let us know how you do.

cheers

clan mac

Hi Clan Mac

Thought I would pop on here to see how you guys are preparing for this exam in August. Sounds like you have received more information regarding the exam.

I had a look about on the net and found this video

YouTube - Australian Skills Migration Assessment

Now it doesnt show you the entire exam but about 3 minutes into the video it begins to show joiners and carpenters, doing all sorts of work. I thought you would like to show your OH so he can at least get a feel of the class room and atmosphere he is going to be in.

Just remember to have all your tools ready the night before i.e. Charge your cordless screwdriver, PPE sorted, etc

Cheers

Matt

you will be asked questions on concrete and scaffolding etc health and safety come first. If using hilti gun what are the dangers etc etc common sense

Hi Proview.

What do you think of the new time line for us Group 3's? At least now we have a date and are not living in limbo.

Hopefully Queensland will come through for us in September and name Carpenter/Joiners on their migration plan, then we shall be bumped up to group 2! Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Matt

Guest hlandells

Hi, Have got my skills test next tuesday & i'm panicking about the roof. Haven't done one since college, I can pretty much remember it all & have bought some timbers for a wee practice. Can you tell me if you have to find the angles yourself or do they provide them for you?? thanks

Hi, Have got my skills test next tuesday & i'm panicking about the roof. Haven't done one since college, I can pretty much remember it all & have bought some timbers for a wee practice. Can you tell me if you have to find the angles yourself or do they provide them for you?? thanks

Hi

I cant remember everything but what I do remember during my exam is when it comes to constructing the roof, you work off a 8x4 sheet of plywood and round this you place 3x2 timbers round the edge and these act like a base plate round the house.

They provide you with the height of the roof from this base plate so from there, you should be able to work out the angle. I think its about 30 degrees but dont quote me on this as the measurements might change every exam.

You construct a pitched roof with a hip at one end.

If you have any problems then just search Youtube for constructing roofs as theres plenty on there which should refresh your memory.

My friend used a Adjustable Roofing Square to help him through the exam, even though he used his bevels the majority of the time.

Stanley Adjustable Quick Square, 0076174460506

Try not to worry, just make sure you have all your hand tools, cordless screwdriver ready and charged the night before, dont forget to bring your PPE also.

Anymore questions just give me a shout

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

thanks so much for your help :hug: Ian has now made 2 mini roofs which are sitting in the garden!!!!! I think that he is getting himself tied up worrying about getting the angles right. He thought that your advice about using 2 bevels was spot on and he also has one of those roofing squares too! I can't believe it's next week - ARRGGHH. So much is resting on this although I"m sure he'll do great, easy for me to say I'm not the one sitting the test!

Matt you have been so generous with your knowledge and we are so very grateful,:notworthy::notworthy: especially me as I tend to be the one doing all the research etc. I don't know what I would do without the kindness of the folks on here, I hope to be able to repay you all one day when we are all in Oz. The barbie and the tinnies will be on us guys. :wink:

Good luck to all sitting the test and keep us posted.

sincere thanks

Lorraine & Ian aka clan mac

Hi

I cant remember everything but what I do remember during my exam is when it comes to constructing the roof, you work off a 8x4 sheet of plywood and round this you place 3x2 timbers round the edge and these act like a base plate round the house.

They provide you with the height of the roof from this base plate so from there, you should be able to work out the angle. I think its about 30 degrees but dont quote me on this as the measurements might change every exam.

You construct a pitched roof with a hip at one end.

If you have any problems then just search Youtube for constructing roofs as theres plenty on there which should refresh your memory.

My friend used a Adjustable Roofing Square to help him through the exam, even though he used his bevels the majority of the time.

Stanley Adjustable Quick Square, 0076174460506

Try not to worry, just make sure you have all your hand tools, cordless screwdriver ready and charged the night before, dont forget to bring your PPE also.

Anymore questions just give me a shout

Cheers

Matt

Hi Mat

when i done it i told the examiner that if he wanted the roof to finish at 600mm high and the rafters are to finish on both sides of the plywood at 1200 wide then the pitch would already be decided for you, most guys was working out the angle for the pitch.........its there waiting for you! once your ridge is at the height of 600mm, he new i was correct but could not say yes or no as he new he would be giving the answer to every one in the class. Just dont for get to do the bird mouth cut on the end of the rafters guys

Archived