To all reptile keepers out there!

Guest harrisoncfc

Guest harrisoncfc

Hi everyone,

i am 14 years old and i am moving to Queensland in 3 weeks!

I have had to sell all my reptiles and have been trying to find out whether you are aloud them out there and what you can get etc.

Then i stumbled across a australian reptile forums and i think it would be great if some of you reptile owners in Oz can help me out by sighning up as at the moment there isn't that many people on there and it would be alot better if there were.

So thanks for looking and if you could sign up that would be great!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes

and just if your interested my username on there is reptileboyh :biggrin:

Thanks again, Harrison...

Guest chris955

Hi Harrison, you are only allowed to keep native reptiles in Australia so obviously the choice is quite limited. One of the reasons I want to return to the UK is the enormous variety they have access to, it just depends what you want to keep, you can't have Royal Pythons or Corn Snakes obviously.

Sorry to hear that you have had to sell all your reptiles, unfortunatly chris955 may be right, Australian authorities can be weird on many things including what pets you are allowed to have.

You also have to have a licence for every one you keep, it can make it expensive if you have a few.

Have a look at this site to see the sort of things availiable, its not the only one, its just one of the first I found.

Ultimate Reptile Suppliers

I have bearded dragons, the licence costs $60 and I think lasts 5 years, you have to register your reptiles with the Environmental Protection Agency after you buy them. The licence specifies what you can have and what are restricted; basically anything native that isn't dangerous are fine. If you don't have the licence a reputable seller won't sell you the animal as they have to do a transfer chitty, and if you have a native without one and EPA find out, the fines are MASSIVE as they assume you've caught it from the wild unless you can prove otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Woody39

A friend is also leaving for Australia soon. I am a bit excited though because he would have to leave his python with me.... he says he can't bring it. He might just get a new pet python there.

Archived