dogs on public transport and beaches in Sydney

Guest Dirty Herbert

Guest Dirty Herbert

Hey,

Can anybody tell me if dogs are generally allowed on beaches and buses/trains?

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

You will usually find that councils have a dog friendly beach, take a look at your local council website.

In regards to buses,trains and ferries yes you can take your pet onboard, however, they need to be properly restrained as required by the law (NSW Passenger Transport Act and Regulations). However, if any passengers or the bus driver etc feel threatened at any time or your dog has an accident you can be asked to leave.

I don't think pets are allowed on trains (cityrails website says they aren't). There has been some comment about this recently with the change in the law to legally allow dogs to accompany their owner outside a cafe saying that the law should be changed to allow dogs on trains like the UK.

Dogs on buses have to be in an appropriate container and if they cause an annoyance the driver has the right to refuse them.

Officially I think for ferries the dog has to be approved by the ferrymaster and in a container but if you have the dog secured in a dog carry bag then they seem to turn a blind eye.

Can't help about beaches as we haven't yet made it to one with the pup (and after the rain I'm waiting until they are clean again before I try it).

Archived