The Hidden Job Market

Guest thewaway

Guest thewaway

Hi All,

I keep reading about "The Hidden Job Market" and that it is the best way to find a job in OZ whether you are looking for sponsorship or any visa.

Is there such a thing, if so where the hell is it?!

Or is something that people just make up so they can sell you a dodgy pdf document that someone has knocked up themselves?

If there is such a thing then yes, it is very well hidden but of no use of no one can find it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Craig

Guest paulacox
Hi All,

I keep reading about "The Hidden Job Market" and that it is the best way to find a job in OZ whether you are looking for sponsorship or any visa.

Is there such a thing, if so where the hell is it?!

Or is something that people just make up so they can sell you a dodgy pdf document that someone has knocked up themselves?

If there is such a thing then yes, it is very well hidden but of no use of no one can find it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Craig

Hi

I would like to know this as well

Thanks

The answer is yes & no.

If you have relative / close friend that owns a company or works in a position of influence in an Australia company then you may get a job that would never be advertised.

If you work for an International company that has branches in Australia.

If you work in the building trade plumber, carpenter etc.

Then I can accept the argument that it exists.

But for most other careers

If you want a real job and have no relatives or friends in Australia.

I remain to be convinced to the existence of the hidden job market.

Guest proud2beaussie

SEEK Salary, Advice & Tips

Many job opportunities are never advertised. It's been estimated that more than half of positions vacant in Australia are filled through an informal network rather than formally advertised. Often called the "hidden job market", these jobs can only be accessed through networking or cold calling. These techniques are among the most powerful and effective way of finding a job, and planning and practice will increase your confidence.

If you're joining the paid workforce for the first time, returning after a break or contemplating a career change and are unsure of what type of work you want to do, you'll find The Job Guide an excellent resource. Published by DEEWR, it gives an outline of duties, education and training for hundreds of jobs. Use this as a starting point to narrow down your career choices.

• 5 months later...

I know this is a old post but I thought I d just add my thoughts...

I ve never in my career applied for a job that was advertised, I ve never written a CV until recently, I ve only ever found work in the 'hidden job market'.

I have always found work by offering my services as a tradesman to companies even if they don't actually need me or anybody else. This usually comes about by popping into their office or showroom or building site.

People have always seemed to want to give me their time and take time to look through my brochure (yes I know a tradesman with a brochure!). Even though the standard answer is we don't have any work or some such answer usually within 1 or 2 months the phone rings and they have work.

I ve never applied for a job that is advertised only ever found work in the 'hidden job market'.

It's all about putting yourself out there and getting the rewards for your effort...

Archived