SS Dilemma - NT or ACT????

Jobo

Can anyone help with our dilemma?

In May last year I applied for a 176 family sponsored visa but my occupation is not on the CSL (or new SOL) and so i will have to wait for up to 3 more years (according to DIAC). Plan B was to apply using OH's skills but we missed the 8 May date and are unsure of how his occupation transfers onto the new SOL (an IT occupation).

So, now to plan C...we have managed to lodge an application for SS with NT for my occupation as it's on their on-demand list but it will take up to 4 months and we have no idea whether this will be on their SMP.

I have also contacted ACT as my occupation is on their quota list and they have confirmed they will process my application for ACT SS if i wish to apply.

should I apply for both and hedge my bets? I know eventually i'll only be able to go with one but i'm trying to cover all bases as who knows what is in store in the next few months.

My OH and I are both highly ethical individuals and therefore we are committed to keeping our word to live and work in the chosen state for at least two years - the way we see its we'd rather be anywhere in Oz for 2 years than stuck here and facing the prospect of a cap and cease! we have family in NSW and Queensland so we'll have to travel to visit them either way.

my main concern is will I jeopardise both SS applications by applying for ACT...or should i just do both and hope for the best? if we get SS from at least one by the time it's confirmed we'll probably have seen the SMPs and can make an informed choice then. i just don't want our honesty or integrity to be bought into question by applying for both.

can anyone advise - especially those who have been through the process or know the laws/policies inside out!

cheers

Can anyone help with our dilemma?

In May last year I applied for a 176 family sponsored visa but my occupation is not on the CSL (or new SOL) and so i will have to wait for up to 3 more years (according to DIAC). Plan B was to apply using OH's skills but we missed the 8 May date and are unsure of how his occupation transfers onto the new SOL (an IT occupation).

So, now to plan C...we have managed to lodge an application for SS with NT for my occupation as it's on their on-demand list but it will take up to 4 months and we have no idea whether this will be on their SMP.

I have also contacted ACT as my occupation is on their quota list and they have confirmed they will process my application for ACT SS if i wish to apply.

should I apply for both and hedge my bets? I know eventually i'll only be able to go with one but i'm trying to cover all bases as who knows what is in store in the next few months.

My OH and I are both highly ethical individuals and therefore we are committed to keeping our word to live and work in the chosen state for at least two years - the way we see its we'd rather be anywhere in Oz for 2 years than stuck here and facing the prospect of a cap and cease! we have family in NSW and Queensland so we'll have to travel to visit them either way.

my main concern is will I jeopardise both SS applications by applying for ACT...or should i just do both and hope for the best? if we get SS from at least one by the time it's confirmed we'll probably have seen the SMPs and can make an informed choice then. i just don't want our honesty or integrity to be bought into question by applying for both.

can anyone advise - especially those who have been through the process or know the laws/policies inside out!

cheers

ACT are very particular that you do not apply to any other state when you apply for their SS. I have read on another forum of someone who was refused sponsorship by ACT because of this.

thanks - I'm glad i checked now!

so strictly speaking it's not against the law and provided I'm honest with both states then I wouldn't be making a false application. problem is, if i go ahead and honestly apply for both then both may turn me down for not showing committment.

I don't want to come across as a SS tart so perhaps its best to hold fire for now on the ACT application. we truely, honestly would be committed to whichever state sponsored us but i guess anyone can say that and maybe in the past people have been dishonest and caused the states wasted time and effort.

thanks again for your post and the link!

J

Archived