Frustrated Practice nurse!!!!

:wacko:Hiya- are there any more practice nurses out here in Queensland (Im on the Sunshine Coast) who are/have experienced work as a pn here? Im working as a pn... ha ha more of a treatment room nurse, who, dont get me wrong loves the fact Im doing alot less than I was in the UK and getting paid more. But as time is going on, feel if I dont use my skills that I was taught in the UK, may forget them.. rapidly!

Are all the GPs surgeries here reluctant to let us loose on patients or is it just where Im based?

If any one has got any info on where I could get my pap smear certification(as although did this in UK have to redo it here??) or any further education.. would be most grateful!x

Guest cosmicsis

Oh dear - i'm a P/N in the UK with visa all sorted and planning to come over to Brisbane with the family in the next few months. I have heard this may be the case over there as i run asthma/diabetes clinics here etc etc and am totally autonomous and like you would find it frustrating. My husband sent me a link that he found about how things were changing and more money being spent to improve services etc. Maybe this is the way forward? Am happy for you to send me a PM to chew the fat a bit more and can send you the link too. Have you joined the APNA? Hang in there, x

Guest itskaren
:wacko:Hiya- are there any more practice nurses out here in Queensland (Im on the Sunshine Coast) who are/have experienced work as a pn here? Im working as a pn... ha ha more of a treatment room nurse, who, dont get me wrong loves the fact Im doing alot less than I was in the UK and getting paid more. But as time is going on, feel if I dont use my skills that I was taught in the UK, may forget them.. rapidly!

Are all the GPs surgeries here reluctant to let us loose on patients or is it just where Im based?

If any one has got any info on where I could get my pap smear certification(as although did this in UK have to redo it here??) or any further education.. would be most grateful!x

I was a nurse practitioner in the UK. I have been in Melbourne for 2.5 years.

I used to work in Minor Injury/illness in MIU mostly and ED. I am now just an ordinary nurse. I am brain dead!! It takes such a lot of getting used to that I just cannot use my skills here. Drs do not like it.

Good luck to you. I have learnt to live with it now and will almost certainly loose all of my practical skills as a MIU nurse.:no:

Guest cosmicsis

oh dear, that's not good - perhaps you will find a more forward thinking practice somewhere? Hmmm... i was looking into agency nursing too to get back into secondary care but been P/N for over 5 yrs now so may not be able to do that either. Maybe i could stand in as Dorothy the Dinosaur at Wiggles World! x

Thanks for the info both.. I too am feeling brain dead already!! I may try something else. Would love a respiratory nurse role... loads of these in the UK... one here on the Sunshine coast I believe!!!

I wasnt a nurse practioner. Well, not on paper anyhow! So my heart goes out to you in Melbourne now just losing your skills more quickly than the I can receit the alphabet....

Maybe cosmicsis has apoint and we should all get a job in Wiggleworld!! x:laugh:

Guest scally wag

Hi fellow PN,

I have been a PN in the UK for 9 years! Came straight out of uni into a community role (fitted in with family O/H works away alot) I am at the top of my game as a PN have all the chronic disease, lead nurse, etc etc. I just do not know where I am going to fit in with it all in Oz. Half of me wants to start a fresh, on the wards and gain a nre skill set. Would not mind starting at the bottom, the other half of me wants to PN and keep all the skills. I am SO confused. I have just passed my IELTS, have Visa, house sale going through, so all sorted. I am half way through EOI to Queensland. Something is holding me back actually sending it. I am so scared they will not want me. Then I am really scared getting a PN job that really is not a PN job at all... I am really in a quandry with it all.

I am looking for a role in chronic disease, diabetes and copd. ? where the jobs are though??? Would love link type nursing from hospital back into community, like modern matron in the UK, cannot find this role for love or money.

Great thead, glad I am not alone.

Caroline

Guest itskaren
Hi fellow PN,

I have been a PN in the UK for 9 years! Came straight out of uni into a community role (fitted in with family O/H works away alot) I am at the top of my game as a PN have all the chronic disease, lead nurse, etc etc. I just do not know where I am going to fit in with it all in Oz. Half of me wants to start a fresh, on the wards and gain a nre skill set. Would not mind starting at the bottom, the other half of me wants to PN and keep all the skills. I am SO confused. I have just passed my IELTS, have Visa, house sale going through, so all sorted. I am half way through EOI to Queensland. Something is holding me back actually sending it. I am so scared they will not want me. Then I am really scared getting a PN job that really is not a PN job at all... I am really in a quandry with it all.

I am looking for a role in chronic disease, diabetes and copd. ? where the jobs are though??? Would love link type nursing from hospital back into community, like modern matron in the UK, cannot find this role for love or money.

Great thead, glad I am not alone.

Caroline

After being here for 2.5 years my thoughts are generally that the doctors do not like nurses with skills! Obviously not all of them are like it but a majority.

If you can't beat them join them! It's the only way that I got through this very depressing part of my career as a nurse.

It is like going back to nursing 20 years ago ... we just follow doctors instructions. They frown if you query anything with them. I think I need a change of career .....:no:

Sounds familiar losing a lot of skills as the doctors dont seem to recognise nursing as a profession in its own right.

Guest guest30038

Sorry to hear of your experiences girls but are we talking "doctors" as in GP's?

I know many nurses here who originally came from the UK and every one of them have agreed that most doctors here listen more to the nurses and graciously accept their opinions/advice, recognise their skills more, and appreciate them more, than was generally found to be the case with UK doctors. I speak of course of within the Public Hospital system here.

kev

Guest guest30038
Yep I mean doctors in the hospitals and GP's especially.

Must be a different breed down in smellbum :biglaugh:

Guest cosmicsis

yeah i guess you can't generalise - there must be forward thinking practices out there with GP's who would welcome the opportunity of looking at different avenues and open to new ideas, and i guess, like nurses - there are good & bad ones!

Archived