help from anyone who took their cat!! sleepless nights

Guest darmanin

Guest darmanin

hi,

we are moving from europe to sydney with our precious 3 year old persian cat. she is quite fragile and sensitive and am so scared and anxious. she will need 30 days at quarantine in sydney.

does anyone have any advice on how this effects cats? I really do not want to leave her behind but will do if I am being selfish taking her with me?

please help as have sleppless nights over this

We brought both our cats with us. They spent a year living in Singapore first and then moved them here. Thet spent a month in quarantine in Sydney. My old girl Charlie is still fit and healthy 8 years on from the, as is Jet. They take good care of the animals at the quarantine centre, and if you are very anxious you can visit them. We chose not to as we felt it would be hard for the cats to understand why we kept leaving them.

Try not to worry, I am sure you cat will be fine and then delighted to be reunited with you once she is out of quarantine.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest gary12

we bought our 13 year old cat over here last year and he loves it. (as much as you can tell a pet does, lol ) We wouldn't have had he been a cat in poor health but he wasn't. Quarantine is fine and our cat is really timid and I was so stressed dropping him at LHR I cried all the way back to the midlands, once he was out he quickly got used to where we were. he did give us a few moments of panic as we were on 2 acres of bushland and he went missing for hours.

One thing I woudl suggest though is getting your cat a pet passport it includes rabies etc just incase it turns out not to be for you, you then only have to have a 30day quarantine back into the UK (I think) and not the standard 6 months.

Do think about the area you are planning to move to and check the pet laws, our cat has to be kept in between 7pm and 6am but it is not a problem.

best of luck

Michelle

Guest Skippyplus6
we bought our 13 year old cat over here last year and he loves it. (as much as you can tell a pet does, lol ) We wouldn't have had he been a cat in poor health but he wasn't. Quarantine is fine and our cat is really timid and I was so stressed dropping him at LHR I cried all the way back to the midlands, once he was out he quickly got used to where we were. he did give us a few moments of panic as we were on 2 acres of bushland and he went missing for hours.

One thing I woudl suggest though is getting your cat a pet passport it includes rabies etc just incase it turns out not to be for you, you then only have to have a 30day quarantine back into the UK (I think) and not the standard 6 months.

Do think about the area you are planning to move to and check the pet laws, our cat has to be kept in between 7pm and 6am but it is not a problem.

best of luck

Michelle

Hi

The cat will be fine. There's no quarantine period in the UK if your cat's on Pet Passport, as long as it's 7 months since rabies needle.

Guest juliemtaylor

I took my two 13 year old cats, one is a sensitive old thing too. Both were not bothered by the flight, and settled into quarantine well. One of them put on a bit of weight though..

We sent ours before us and collected them 2 days after we landed ourselves, they were very happy to see us again. Now they are curled up on our bed just as before.

Julie x

Guest Cakes Galore

Brought our moggy with us, 3 years ago, and shes definately more laid back and content than she ever was in the UK.

No problems with quarantine either.

hi,

we are moving from europe to sydney with our precious 3 year old persian cat. she is quite fragile and sensitive and am so scared and anxious. she will need 30 days at quarantine in sydney.

does anyone have any advice on how this effects cats? I really do not want to leave her behind but will do if I am being selfish taking her with me?

please help as have sleppless nights over this

Sorry to be blunt but wot bollox , a cat is not fragile and sensitive ,ity is an animal which adapts to its environment , set it loose and it will adapt fend for itself etc , its you who are the sensitive one not the cat , if it gets fed and watered it will be ok, animals go for self preservation first , they will find food etc anywhere ,gettin fed in quarantine will be fine ,

Guest guest25493

Hi, i have just actually collected my cats from Quarantine in sydney, and they are now home. $1800 lighter!! they were happy enough in quarantine, the workers are wonderful. I hired ryslip in the UK to collect the cats from my mums( they stayed with her until we were settled), they put a feramone in the box to ease their journey. A month before hand, you can get a fereamone collor from the vets to wear, just to take the edge of the expereince. they cannot wear them in the plane, but they are welled looked after. i was very worried about one of my cats, because she is nervous, but she is fine.

I paid ryslip £2000 to sort out everything, so if you can afford it, bring them out.

Good luck

lynette

ps, both my cats are 8 years old

Guest Laiba

@ Rudi,Hi I hope you don't mind if I ask but why did your cats stay in Singapore for a year?was it because your country wasn't in the list of approved countries on the AQIS site?I am facing a similiar problem so any information would be greatly appreciated.thanks

Guest SkyeMove2Melb

Hi,

I sent my 2 little cats (11 month old persian x) off on the plane last night, it was so sad to see them heading off in the cages. I have been watching the flight arrivals/departures for the past 21 hours! They have just landed and I look forward to hearing from Spotswood to find out how they are going.

We will be in Melbourne next week and plan on visiting as much as we can. I will keep you posted on how they are going... I am sure they will be fine though and as stressful as I find the situation it is nothing compared to having to leave them behind in the UK.

I can recommend you use Whitehouse kennels to arrange everything.. Christine is wonderful and you can tell that she really loves and cares about animals.

The vet gave me some feramone spray to put in the cages just before they went, it was supposed to be a natural remedy for stress.

I am sure your little kitty will be just fine!

Good luck with your move!

Guest darmanin

hi

thanks so much for your email. it is very stressful and please let us know how your precious ones have settled in

Guest juliemtaylor
Hi,

I sent my 2 little cats (11 month old persian x) off on the plane last night, it was so sad to see them heading off in the cages. I have been watching the flight arrivals/departures for the past 21 hours! They have just landed and I look forward to hearing from Spotswood to find out how they are going.

We will be in Melbourne next week and plan on visiting as much as we can. I will keep you posted on how they are going... I am sure they will be fine though and as stressful as I find the situation it is nothing compared to having to leave them behind in the UK.

I can recommend you use Whitehouse kennels to arrange everything.. Christine is wonderful and you can tell that she really loves and cares about animals.

The vet gave me some feramone spray to put in the cages just before they went, it was supposed to be a natural remedy for stress.

when you visit them make sure you take a scratching post, some toys and maybe a bed if they are used to having their own each.

Julie x

Guest SkyeMove2Melb

Thanks! We read this information yesterday!! I felt so bad I ordered some things online and sent them to Spotswood so they will have a present arrive tomorrow morning! They will need as much activity as they can get! Quite active and playful still!

I just heard from Spotswood and they say they arrived and seem to have travelled well, very inquisitive and are settling in well.. Will just have to wait and see next week when we arrive.

I think all of us owners get more stressed about it than our pets do though!! he he!!

Guest juliemtaylor

and they will be fine.. our two were housed together and one gained weight, the other lost a bit!! you could tell who got the food!!

They loved us just the same when we fetched them 2 days after we arrived, I cried loads and now they are happy and relaxed and still bugging me for food all the time!!

Julie x

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks! We read this information yesterday!! I felt so bad I ordered some things online and sent them to Spotswood so they will have a present arrive tomorrow morning! They will need as much activity as they can get! Quite active and playful still!

I just heard from Spotswood and they say they arrived and seem to have travelled well, very inquisitive and are settling in well.. Will just have to wait and see next week when we arrive.

I think all of us owners get more stressed about it than our pets do though!! he he!!

Hi hun, glad to hear they have settled in. Once they are out and exploring their new home they will totally forget about their 30 day holiday.

Kate x

Guest Alexxxxx

Hi all,

First timer on here. Looking to move to Melbourne early next year. Strongly considering taking our cat because we do love our cat but not sure if it's a good idea. I'm a bit worried that my cat will chase deadly spiders or something because obviously she kills the one she sees here lol. I saw someone say it cost them £2000.. is that including everything? such as the pet passport and the quarantine? Is it only in Syndey they do the quarantine or is it Melbourne as well?

Any ideas would be grateful - so far great to hear that'll she'll be in good hands in quarantine.

Thank you.

Guest tashii27
Hi all,

First timer on here. Looking to move to Melbourne early next year. Strongly considering taking our cat because we do love our cat but not sure if it's a good idea. I'm a bit worried that my cat will chase deadly spiders or something because obviously she kills the one she sees here lol. I saw someone say it cost them £2000.. is that including everything? such as the pet passport and the quarantine? Is it only in Syndey they do the quarantine or is it Melbourne as well?

Any ideas would be grateful - so far great to hear that'll she'll be in good hands in quarantine.

Thank you.

Hiya I am also a first timer on here. I am an Aussie living in England but am moving back home soon. I had a cat back home and she went out everyday all night and she was absolutely fine with spiders etc. Cats and dogs are are much more resistant to venomous spiders than humans are. such as the redback spider for instance. Bites from a spider do not commonly make your pets ill. And to reassure you more my whole life spent back home and I have seen about 4 poisonous spiders, they hide where no one looks :)

If on the rare chance your cat gets bitten, there are anti venom treatments you can get from your vet and these work pretty much instantly. Cats are more susceptible to this than dogs.

And there are three quarantine stations in Australia-Perth Sydney and Melbourne :)

Guest Alexxxxx
Hiya I am also a first timer on here. I am an Aussie living in England but am moving back home soon. I had a cat back home and she went out everyday all night and she was absolutely fine with spiders etc. Cats and dogs are are much more resistant to venomous spiders back home such as the redback spider for instance. Bites from a spider do not commonly make your pets ill. And to reassure you more my whole life spent back home and I have seen about 4 poisonous spiders, they hide where no one looks :)

If on the rare chance your cat gets bitten, there are anti venom treatments you can get from your vet and these work pretty much instantly. Cats are more susceptible to this than dogs.

And there are three quarantine stations in Australia-Perth Sydney and Melbourne :)

Thank youuuuu :) that does make me feel so much better. I don't want to drag her out there for her to only die from a spider bite. As horrible as that sounds, I think of everything. Thank you!!:jiggy:

Guest tashii27

No problem, I have two persian cats that im going to take over with me and I would hate for anything to happen to them. But they will be safe as houses :)

Guest juliemtaylor

just watch where you are moving to as many places in Melbourne have local cat curfews, here in Mornington shire it is 24 hour!

Quarantine centres in Oz are Melbourne, Perth and Sydney only.

Julie x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SkyeMove2Melb

Hello!

We arrived in Melbourne a few days ago and our first stop was to see the kittens.

I was expecting to cry my eyes out when leaving them again, however I was really suprised and happy with the conditions and how they have adapted to their new little home.

They have an inside and covered in outside area - I sent a few toys, extra house and scratching post for them before our arrival. Without these extras they would be a little board as they are still kittens love to play.

The pens are kept clean and litter changed daily, always food and water for them. The staff I have dealt with so far have been wonderful!

The little ones don't seem bothered to be there in the slightest to be honest (even though I know they will love it when they get to come home and run around like crazy!) We have been to see them twice already and wanted to let you know that I am sure your cat will be fine!

I did not see any of the older cats in a panic to get out either.. They were all very relaxed and just chilling out like they probably would be doing at home.

I hope this makes you feel better - from one concerned cat owner to the other!

Skye :)

Guest darmanin
Hello!

We arrived in Melbourne a few days ago and our first stop was to see the kittens.

I was expecting to cry my eyes out when leaving them again, however I was really suprised and happy with the conditions and how they have adapted to their new little home.

They have an inside and covered in outside area - I sent a few toys, extra house and scratching post for them before our arrival. Without these extras they would be a little board as they are still kittens love to play.

The pens are kept clean and litter changed daily, always food and water for them. The staff I have dealt with so far have been wonderful!

The little ones don't seem bothered to be there in the slightest to be honest (even though I know they will love it when they get to come home and run around like crazy!) We have been to see them twice already and wanted to let you know that I am sure your cat will be fine!

I did not see any of the older cats in a panic to get out either.. They were all very relaxed and just chilling out like they probably would be doing at home.

I hope this makes you feel better - from one concerned cat owner to the other!

Skye :)

thank you so much that really helps:notworthy:

• 1 month later...
Guest darmanin

hi,

how are they all coping?

Hi,

Archived