Question on 457 visa and healthcare

twinkletoes35

Hi All!

I wonder if any one can tell me, if I go out on a 457 visa, would the family be covered for any type of healthcare under this visa or would we have to take up full or partial health insurance?

Also, for those in the no, how difficult is it to convert to PR at a later date?

Thanks for your input

TT xx

Guest itskaren
Hi All!

I wonder if any one can tell me, if I go out on a 457 visa, would the family be covered for any type of healthcare under this visa or would we have to take up full or partial health insurance?

Also, for those in the no, how difficult is it to convert to PR at a later date?

Thanks for your input

TT xx

Hi there

I came to Oz on a 457 then changed to the 175 after 6 months. It was relatively easy however, if I had the chance to do it all over again I would say start with the 175 or 176. Without a doubt. the 175 you can do what you like and will not be in the control of your employer.

We had to have full health insurance on the 457. We are a family of 4 and it cost about $300 a month. Once I had the 175 I changed to the minimum possilbe costing me $60 a month.

good luck

Guest itskaren
From the UK you are covered unde the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) which gives you the basic. It's also valid for the health insurance criteria for a 457.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/files/1856-34-health-care-for-visitors-from-uk-sweden-finland-netherlands-malta-italy.pdf

This is true but it still costs me $80 every time I want to see a GP. We get approx $30 refund each time from Medicare.

My 12 year old son has got an ingrown toenail at the moment. We have gone to the podiartist and it costs us $65 each time. He needs a nail removed now which will cost $350 at least then the aftercare ... it's not cheap!

Guest itskaren
Hmm... On the rare occasiona I've got to the docs (swimming pool ear, nothing major) it hasn't cost me anything.

I went Medibank Private MyOptions for peace of mind. Costs me about $55 a month.

I must be doing something wrong then! Health Care costs us a fortune here!

Archived