where is the best place for CNC/manual machinists?

trall

We have just started our TR and getting stuff together for agent (using gomatilda). we have been trawling seek.com et al for the best place for jobs for CNC/manual machinists/ tool makers.

We know someone who will be in Brisbane 2008 but don't get the feeling that there are much call for my OH's trade. Any advice on where would be the best place to start our new life in oz :notworthy:

Guest fatpom

There's no absolute answer to your question, you've got to play the probabilities game.

If you choose to live in any of the metros the probability is high of finding work whereas in the country areas you'll probably struggle. The locals come first... they look after their own first, naturally. So I'd say start by picking a metro area then use that as a springboard if you wish to.

that makes sense. looks like Melbourne is the best best looking today on careers one. have you been there? we have two kiddies 9&8 and sure that they will settle in well, but would like some background on whats around and areas to look at

Guest fatpom
that makes sense. looks like Melbourne is the best best looking today on careers one. have you been there? we have two kiddies 9&8 and sure that they will settle in well, but would like some background on whats around and areas to look at

Sorry, don't know Melb well at all only ever spent 2 weeks there. They say in Melb "if you don't like the weather just wait a minute". :biglaugh:

From a work perspective I don't think it (Melb) will make a much difference from the other metros. Engineering work can be found almost everywhere. A lot of high volume manufacture is relocating to China to cut costs just like the Eastern European states are taking a lot of UK manufacturing as I understand it? How that will pan out into the middle to long term I can't say?.

As for areas to live in? Its entirely a matter of taste & cost. Don't go off personal reccommendation without carefully checking out... you'd be surprised at the misconceptions. :biglaugh:

I move city/town every couple of years due to work. I pick a general area based on commute/cost/convenience then let the Estate Agents guide me. They seem to be able to suss where you'll be comfortable with. If you're going to rent then rent in a good area (as good as you can afford) then recce the suburbs you think are affordable to you.

Guest fatpom

By the way I'm currently in Brisbane & there is a feeling out there that there's plenty of work here at the moment. I know its difficult to get contractors interested in relatively small jobs unless you're a long standing customer.

It's water that's in short supply but Brisbane isn't on its own there. :biglaugh:

How long has it been since you had a decent downpour? Is there still a water ban on? I read in a local oz paper that the ban included not washing your car except the windscreen - think I would fit in well there I haven't washed mine since last August!!!

Guest fatpom
How long has it been since you had a decent downpour? Is there still a water ban on? I read in a local oz paper that the ban included not washing your car except the windscreen - think I would fit in well there I haven't washed mine since last August!!!

We're supposed to be limited to 140 litre per day per person. Haven't washed my car at all now for about eighteen months because the queues at the car wash places are too long to bother with during the weekends :).

Since there's a total ban on car washing at home I just park the car outside when we do get some rain. You can water plants with bucket (no hose) two days per week within a couple of hours at start or end of day (I think?). Tighter restrictions on the way inevitably. Looks like we'll have to get used to using less & less over time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shazpaul35
We have just started our TR and getting stuff together for agent (using gomatilda). we have been trawling seek.com et al for the best place for jobs for CNC/manual machinists/ tool makers.

We know someone who will be in Brisbane 2008 but don't get the feeling that there are much call for my OH's trade. Any advice on where would be the best place to start our new life in oz :notworthy:

hi my oh is in the same line of work and we too are finding it hard to find work, we are hopeing to move, may 2008, but we cant make our mine up, as where to go, we r stuck at melbourne/adalaide/perth

Guest NIGEL

Hi Trall

I have PM you, hubby works at engineering firm and they are crying out for cnc machinists

Take care karen x

Guest thekeg95

I'll get you 2 jobs tommorrow in Alice Springs if you want and i'd say that Perth would be the same. Melboure and Adelaide both have big ship building contracts on at the moment so i'd say there would be lots there to.

STEVE

Thanks guys, that's eased our minds - OH won't come on the forum doh!! so I have passed on your information

tell me about your typical day, just the same as here no doubt but would love to hear anyway. :wub:

Archived