How do I buy a car in Australia?

freebo

Hi,

We're making plans & lists and will be touching down in a few short weeks, there is/will be so much to do:confused:

One question, as we'll be staying in temp accomodation when we arrive how what documentation is needed to buy a car, this may be from a private seller or a dealer. I'm guessing I need some i.d. with my address on it & plan to convert my driving license as soon as we get there but will this be enough?

Thanks!

Hi,

We're making plans & lists and will be touching down in a few short weeks, there is/will be so much to do:confused:

One question, as we'll be staying in temp accomodation when we arrive how what documentation is needed to buy a car, this may be from a private seller or a dealer. I'm guessing I need some i.d. with my address on it & plan to convert my driving license as soon as we get there but will this be enough?

Thanks!

Is it cash or tick

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi we bought a car just days into our arrival. We had this problem with ID, if your short term rental is paid and you have had an invoice with the address on it and your names, that will help. We had also opened a Bank account in UK and went in to branch here and asked for a printout to be stamped by them. If you set your Bank statements to monthly, not quarterly then you may have one at your temp address before you get there and that will help enormously.

If you know when you are coming try and get an appointment with Vic Roads to change your licence over asap as sometimes you have to wait a few weeks for the appt. When you have your licence it serves as great ID and you then don't need to have so much proof with you or your passports any longer. We are about to move into long term rental and you can advise change of address online, or by phone.

Car Insurance - we did this online and you can print off some docs asap, docs come in post very quickly. No proof of claims etc needed, just answer all the questions honestly.

Hope this helps.

Julie x

Archived