Ok, whats it really like..

stevopaul1

Hi,

I should be over with wife and kids (8 and 4) later this year on a 457. I've been to Sydney once for about 10 days (thats where we are headed) - mainly working, stayed in Manly with friends. I know its not enough time to get a real perspective but here's what I picked up (by the way, I lived in South Africa for 15 years - I loved the place but I know the sun isn't everything).

Observations good/bad and indifferent -

-Didnt feel as busy as London (at least standing in it at lunchtime) but I dont live in London (have worked there), I live in North Yorkshire, in a village!

-Public transport seemed good and relatively cheap

-Weather was nice in late Autumn

-Aussies seemed kind enough, welcoming

-Felt cosmopolitan, exciting, good bars/restaurants/places to go

-everyone seems to up early and running or surfing which I like (running)

-the beach is the meeting place for family and friends (that could be a Manly thing)

-there are public BBQ's - much like South Africa

-roads well out of Sydney were very quiet

-things seemed expensive- ish - beer, food (for the home), no supermarkets like Tesco etc

-a lot of buildings and houses looked dull and uninteresting, not much character

-wide suburban streets seemed deserted and unfriendly - I can imagine neighbours rarely seeing each other etc..

-Some houses looked shoddy - run down

-People leave their junk on the pavement?!

I've got to now find out some real detail on schools and healthcare - particularly as my son has Aspergers Syndrome and needs support at school - we are thinking of moving to Manly as my workpace will be North Sydney - does that seem sensible? Does anyone have experience of schools in the area?

looking forward to it and no rose tinted glasses!!

With respect to your son's education, this may be a good place to start http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/schools/downloads/trp_disability.pdf

This is the fee structure for children without disabilities http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/schools/downloads/trp_feespayment.pdf but you would obviously need to find out the additional costs of a disability - you will probably have to pay for the teacher assistant etc Best thing to do is to contact the education office.

Archived