Questions about buying a car in NSW

mxh

I've trawled through previous posts on this forum on the subject of buying a car, but what with different rules in diferent states it all seems a bit confusing (it's probably not in reality, but just seems that way at the moment).

So could someone please give me an idiot's guide on what I need to know buying a car in NSW, including :-

How much does rego cost - does it depend on the car?

Does rego include third party insurance? If so, do I legally need any further insurance (I know I might want it, but do I need it?)

Will I have any problems renewing rego as I only have a UK driving licence?

Is there stamp duty on all car sales (ie not just new cars, or from dealers etc). How much is it and how does this get paid?

I believe the car will need a RWC every year? This just sounds like an MOT back in the UK (correct?) - anything else I need to know about this?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

It's all very confusing as it is so different so i'll try.

You can get rego for 6 months or 12 months mine cost 120 dollars (i think) for 6 months i don't know if it's different for different cars sorry.

To get a rego you need a green slip which is 3rd party insurance which is compulsory and you can have insurance on top of that which I do have but it's not compulsory.

We registered our car with uk driving licence but if your a perminant resident you have to get oz licence within 3 months of being here.

I think the stamp duty on a car is 2% of the purchase price of a second hand car which you pay when you get your rego don't know bout new cars.

You need a saftey check on your car every year if over 3 years i think but not as strict as an mot.

when i took mine in he looked under the bonnet, checked wheels and mileage and took it for a drive.

Hope I have helped good luck

Thanks for the info. So to clarify, do I have to get the green slip before I can get the rego? I was under the impression that the rego (including the third party insurance) came with the vehicle, so when I buy one it may come with (for example) 6 months still to run. Is this not the case?

Archived