Learning Disability resource in Brisbane for a 11yr old

Guest andylane

Guest andylane

:cute:Hi

This thread ive started i hope to get alot of response because i need to relay any fears for my daughter.

She is 10 and will be 11 when we get to Brisbane. She has a bad learning Disability on writing and reading (no attention span at all) She has special needs teacher that come in to her school and helps her. Now when we move to Brisbane she is terrified that they dont have anything like this and she is gonna be misunderstood by the teachers and the pupils and be picked on when really she cant help her presentation and such.

Ive had a look for Special Needs : Learning Difficulties and only two schools that came up was - Ipswich State High School and Indooroopilly State High School which i thought was a poor show. (we are looking at the sunshine coast).

Surely there are others. In the UK they are in abundance and no matter where you live, the school has the resource (which they apply from the council after identifying the need of the child) to have these one to one teachers at certain times of the day to allocate a couple of hours on the areas thats needed. The other children in her school seem to accept it all and she never has any mick taking and loves her school.

Is there any one in the same situation and if not are there any OZ teachers reading that can give my daughter some reasurrance that she wont be the brunt of any jibes and will get the help thats needed.

She really does try and loves school and the learning so i want her to carry on with the same enthusiasm she has now at her school over there.

Guest Jo & John

We are just at the start of our process, and whilst I cannot offer any advice, we are in a similar situation that our son has receptive language difficulties,poor attention span comes alongside. We have been through closer hospital assessments when he was two, they decided that this was basically it, now he is seven they want to look more closely. If this happens before we go, and there is a diagnosis, he will need more support in school. Mainly he is a very anxious child,and not knowing what is going on can cause him stress. So we could be leaving without knowing. Our difference is my son hates going to school, and I am hoping that a smaller school that is not so based on academics would suit him much better.It is a worry not knowing what is out there for our lovely children. knowing how he hates school I really hope we find something better in Oz. We are looking at Perth so I will have to look more closely.

I believe that all that I KNOW WHICH IS NOT THAT MUCH, is that Australia seems to have a more laid back approach,being when our children join the schools they are academically a year in front, so our little ones should be in line straight away. I am scared,

but with our support and love that is all they need. Also I think there are less children to a class than in England.Hope this helps,

Guest Scarletfever

Hiya, my 12 year old son has epilepsy and will need special teaching if we can't get it in 100% in control before we go. We've decided, cos its nowhere the same cost as home here, that private schooling may be the way to go.

My Brother in Law has found out that they're fully sorted in AB Pattersons on the Gold Coast for all sorts of teaching difficulties, so I doubt if you'll have any trouble wherever you decide to settle down.

I'm sure if you email a few schools, you'll get some info.

I think I've got listings of most of the schools including emails etc. drop me a line and I'll see if I can find it if you like.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mandyandbarry

HI Dan

I am a Special needs Teacher and have been teaching in Melbourne at a Special Scool since we arrived 2 years ago. We are heading up to Queensland in 2 weeks for a look around with a view to moving up there at the end of the year. If you can offer any info on Special Schools or mainstream schools with special unit/depts I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Mandy x

Archived