Australia - expensive??!

Guest Johnnydt

Guest tim_the_taf

YES !! We moved back to the UK last year, and have given up any idea of moving back because of the cost of housing out there, and the crap exchange rate. Can't even afford to get there on holiday any more. Pint of beer is AUD8.50 typically, which is currently nearly £6. A coffee is about £3.50/ 4. Bottle of reasonable wine is at least AUD20, about £12 +. It's actually cheaper to buy WA wine in the UK than in WA. A real shame, we enjoyed it there, but its become too expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest spacegirl73

I have found this forum very amusing to say the least! I wont go into what and how much too much but my husband earns double what he earnt in the UK and we dont seem to have anymore spare cash due to double the rent or mortgage and cost of living, we live in the western suburbs of nsw (the cheapest) and on average a decent tidy house will be as least $500k, (we are renting at the moment and are paying $560 per week rent) we think it is more expensive here, apart from of course as everybody points out petrol!

After reading everybodys posts it seems to me that unless you are prepared to go and catch your own fish and brew your own beer, knit your own socks and and grow your own veg things are more expensive than the UK, but of course it differs to where you live.

Needless to say I think in my opinion and experience, Australia is more expensive! :spinny:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

I have just come back from Australia and this is what i have found out. Please note comparing the cost of living by comparing the dollar currently to the pound is quite frankly silly and your wages will be roughly based on an exchange rate of $2.10, we earn £60,000 and we would earn $130,000 in Australia.

Food items - some items are dearer and some are the same not many items are cheaper. There are cheaper shops like Aldis and Coles which are not too bad. But you are talking about a weekly bill of $300 dollars for food for a family and for that you can live like kings. Its no different than the uk, if your like me you hunt for bargains and a deep freezer is a must, to store ant meat on offer. All in all food was slightly dearer.

Houses - You can get a huge 275sq 4 bedroomed house for $450,000 in a nice area 20 to 25km from Brisbane. This same house would cost about £450,000 where i live in Dewsbury which is a cheap area to live in the uk. Rentals in Australia are extortionately high and the sooner you buy the better it is. Utilities- rates are roughly half the cost, gas and electric less than half the cost, water rates roughly the same. Stamp duty is massively dearer than the uk, but how often are you going to pay for this.

Drink - Beer or lager is dearer than the uk theres no doubt about that and i never really saw any great deals, like at Asda or Morrisons. Wine was really cheap a brand called something like fruits of the berry was $14 for 5 litres, with several types of wine for that price. Whisky was dearer and so was pop for the kids. Drinking out in bars was dearer, a bit like the cities in the uk. someone quoted $8.50 for a pint and then compared it to the current exchange rate, yes its dear if you are visiting and its not that cheap if you live there, but you can get a pint most places for less than that.

Cars - they are dearer than the uk, especially second hand ones, you don't have to pay for a yearly MOT and the petrol is half price and the insurance is similar, so overall its about the same as the uk except you don't have to have the hassle of the bloody MOT.

Clothes - well if your a snob and don't like shopping at MA Talans - Matalan then clothes can be dear, but they sell all you want just as cheap as in the uk at K-Mart and Target and not only that these great stores sell a multitude of household items which are great quality and cheap, no real difference to the uk.

Furniture - This can be dearer than the uk, but again there are outlets advertising sales and its a case of shopping round. I saw an advert for a 50inch HD plasma for $899 and a huge american fridge with water and ice dispenser for $1599. Again most items can be got cheaper if you shop around, but still a bit dearer than the uk.

What you can't put a price on is this - the outdoor lifestyle and its mostly free, there are man made swimming lagoons near the sea with adjoining barbecue and picnic areas and in Brisbane you can go there for at least 9 months of the year. Also you make your outdoor living area a place of comfort and enjoyment, if your lucky like my friends Kev and Briget and you have a fantasic pool to swim in, with a great barbecue area and loungy chairs to lay on, whilst having a drink, simply heaven and you can do this almost all year round. We have just had 7 months of horrible weather in the uk and just imagine being outside every night, chilling out with a glass of wine or a cold beer. Yes its a tad dearer in Australia and if you have got jobs with not so great pay and you live or rent in a dearer area then its not going to be what you expected, but if your money is similar to the money you earned in the uk based on A $2.10 exchange rate you can have a fabulous lifestyle. The problem we are all having at present is that this is the worst time in history financially to be emigrating to Australia, because of the exchange rate and the uk being in financial melt down and our houses being worth less and not selling, thanks Gormless Gordon and goodbye. Lets hopethings pick up after the election and that the exchange rate improves and that the new government start to clear the £200 billion debt and create more jobs so that people will start buying houses again, sorry its not going to happen, i hope i am proved wrong though for our sake, but i am not hopeful of a long term uk recovery.

The impression that i got in Australia is that there was plenty of work and opportunities and that people were optamistic of a good future for themselves and their kids and that wages in general led to a good standard of living, with the outside lifestyle and living that we all dream about in the uk. Please don't go to Australia if you don't like it hot, because it is and please don't come on PIO complaining about it, it makes us sound like whinging poms.

jim missing OZ bigstyle.

Guest smileykylie

Not everywhere in australia has the same rules for registering cars. In NSW for cars 3yrs? and over you have to have a 'pink slip' (MOT) , pay registration and compulsory 3rd party insurance to legally drive the car. this can be about $700 per year depending on your circumstances and size of car etc.

Guest spacegirl73
Hi everyone

I have just come back from Australia and this is what i have found out. Please note comparing the cost of living by comparing the dollar currently to the pound is quite frankly silly and your wages will be roughly based on an exchange rate of $2.10, we earn £60,000 and we would earn $130,000 in Australia.

Food items - some items are dearer and some are the same not many items are cheaper. There are cheaper shops like Aldis and Coles which are not too bad. But you are talking about a weekly bill of $300 dollars for food for a family and for that you can live like kings. Its no different than the uk, if your like me you hunt for bargains and a deep freezer is a must, to store ant meat on offer. All in all food was slightly dearer.

Houses - You can get a huge 275sq 4 bedroomed house for $450,000 in a nice area 20 to 25km from Brisbane. This same house would cost about £450,000 where i live in Dewsbury which is a cheap area to live in the uk. Rentals in Australia are extortionately high and the sooner you buy the better it is. Utilities- rates are roughly half the cost, gas and electric less than half the cost, water rates roughly the same. Stamp duty is massively dearer than the uk, but how often are you going to pay for this.

Drink - Beer or lager is dearer than the uk theres no doubt about that and i never really saw any great deals, like at Asda or Morrisons. Wine was really cheap a brand called something like fruits of the berry was $14 for 5 litres, with several types of wine for that price. Whisky was dearer and so was pop for the kids. Drinking out in bars was dearer, a bit like the cities in the uk. someone quoted $8.50 for a pint and then compared it to the current exchange rate, yes its dear if you are visiting and its not that cheap if you live there, but you can get a pint most places for less than that.

Cars - they are dearer than the uk, especially second hand ones, you don't have to pay for a yearly MOT and the petrol is half price and the insurance is similar, so overall its about the same as the uk except you don't have to have the hassle of the bloody MOT.

Clothes - well if your a snob and don't like shopping at MA Talans - Matalan then clothes can be dear, but they sell all you want just as cheap as in the uk at K-Mart and Target and not only that these great stores sell a multitude of household items which are great quality and cheap, no real difference to the uk.

Furniture - This can be dearer than the uk, but again there are outlets advertising sales and its a case of shopping round. I saw an advert for a 50inch HD plasma for $899 and a huge american fridge with water and ice dispenser for $1599. Again most items can be got cheaper if you shop around, but still a bit dearer than the uk.

What you can't put a price on is this - the outdoor lifestyle and its mostly free, there are man made swimming lagoons near the sea with adjoining barbecue and picnic areas and in Brisbane you can go there for at least 9 months of the year. Also you make your outdoor living area a place of comfort and enjoyment, if your lucky like my friends Kev and Briget and you have a fantasic pool to swim in, with a great barbecue area and loungy chairs to lay on, whilst having a drink, simply heaven and you can do this almost all year round. We have just had 7 months of horrible weather in the uk and just imagine being outside every night, chilling out with a glass of wine or a cold beer. Yes its a tad dearer in Australia and if you have got jobs with not so great pay and you live or rent in a dearer area then its not going to be what you expected, but if your money is similar to the money you earned in the uk based on A $2.10 exchange rate you can have a fabulous lifestyle. The problem we are all having at present is that this is the worst time in history financially to be emigrating to Australia, because of the exchange rate and the uk being in financial melt down and our houses being worth less and not selling, thanks Gormless Gordon and goodbye. Lets hopethings pick up after the election and that the exchange rate improves and that the new government start to clear the £200 billion debt and create more jobs so that people will start buying houses again, sorry its not going to happen, i hope i am proved wrong though for our sake, but i am not hopeful of a long term uk recovery.

The impression that i got in Australia is that there was plenty of work and opportunities and that people were optamistic of a good future for themselves and their kids and that wages in general led to a good standard of living, with the outside lifestyle and living that we all dream about in the uk. Please don't go to Australia if you don't like it hot, because it is and please don't come on PIO complaining about it, it makes us sound like whinging poms.

jim missing OZ bigstyle.

I thought PIO was for whinging Poms! :smile:

We are all entitled to our opinion, You do have MOT (pink slip) in NSW, I have just regod my car and with the Green Slip (compulsary third party insurance) its cost just short of $1k, and my car is nothing flash and its 8 years old! and you pay stamp duty on a car when you buy it.

Personally I feel like I shouldn't have to hunt for bargains, and I'm not a snob when it comes to clothes I just would prefer to buy quality at a decent price which I have yet to find!

Also you cant always choose where you are going to live in Australia it depends where your employment is, we bought our house more or less straight away but what we didnt realise was how much we had to pay the realestate when we sold it! 3.3% + GST on a $550K house thats a lot of cash! Just something else to bear in mind if you are planning on buying a house.

And WOW 450 thousand pounds would buy you one hell of a house in the UK now (all relative to where you live of course like here)

Also another think to look at is if you are planning to visit the UK flights are very expensive too when we went it cost us $10k for 2 adults, 1 child and a baby who didnt even have a seat!

Anyway just a few things to bear in mind its not all negative of course, the sun shines all year round!! :rolleyes:

The car prices must have come down a hell of a lot in the UK then since I last lived there.

I wonder if that price is before or after MOT though.

Description Vauxhall Astra Life Cdti, Manual, Estate, Diesel, 2005 , 80,347 Miles, Silver. Air Bag Driver, Air Bag Side - Driver/passenger, Air-conditioning - Unspecified, Anti-lock Brakes, Body Coloured Bumpers, Central Door Locking - Remote , Centre Rear Seat Belt, Deadlocks, Electric Windows - Front, Immobiliser, Power-assisted Steering, Roof Rails, Seat Height Adjustment - Driver, Seating Capacity - Five Seats, Side Protection Mouldings, Spare Wheel - Unspecified, Steering Wheel Mounted Controls - Audio, Upholstery Cloth. More Great Value Cars And Finance Available On andrewsgarage.net, £ £3,995

To find out more details about this vehicle, Please call 0845 900 2746

Enquire About Vehicle By Email

Please call 0845 900 2746 or enquire by email below

Make: Vauxhall

Model: Astra

Variant: Life Cdti

Year: 2005

Colour: Silver

Fueltype: Diesel

Bodytype: Estate

Transmission: Manual

Doors: 5

Mileage: 80,347

Price: £3,995

not seen any four yr old astras for £2,000

Guest sparkylad

dougie, im interested in your opinion (if offered) as we have four kids also/ We lived in Geelong Vic-- for 6months and then ping pong back to UK. We are now seriously thinking about retunring although this time to Perth " better climate than Geeong". We found the education system awfull in geelong. Whats is it like in Perth ? our eldest is 13 youngest 7 ..... naturally if we remain in aus it wont matter, but we dont wana mess up our kids possible A levels & Uni in UK.

Guest rachellh
dougie, im interested in your opinion (if offered) as we have four kids also/ We lived in Geelong Vic-- for 6months and then ping pong back to UK. We are now seriously thinking about retunring although this time to Perth " better climate than Geeong". We found the education system awfull in geelong. Whats is it like in Perth ? our eldest is 13 youngest 7 ..... naturally if we remain in aus it wont matter, but we dont wana mess up our kids possible A levels & Uni in UK.

I know I'm not dougie, but I was interested to know why you thought the education in Geelong was awful? I only ask as we're living in Perth and have a 9 year old, and one of the reasons we're returning to the UK is because of the level of education on offer here.

Like you said, if you're all planning on staying in Oz indefinitely it probably wouldn't matter too much, but if you're thinking of your kids returning to do their A Levels in the UK, then IMO I wouldn't have thought they would be well enough prepared by the schooling here.

It's a hard one with kids isn't it, trying to predict how badly you'll be messing up their future with what you plan!!!

Good luck!

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest chris955

I think some people seem to forget the small matter of yearly registration which in some states is close to $800 for a family car, it does include 3rd party INJURY insurance but remember that DOESN'T include property damage if you hit someone.

I could only dream of having 450,000 quid to spend on a house in the UK, where I have been looking in good areas in Devon 250k gets you a VERY nice house and 450k would get you a mansion on acreage.

We are all entitled to our opinion, You do have MOT (pink slip) in NSW, I have just regod my car and with the Green Slip (compulsary third party insurance) its cost just short of $1k, and my car is nothing flash and its 8 years old! and you pay stamp duty on a car when you buy it.

Personally I feel like I shouldn't have to hunt for bargains, and I'm not a snob when it comes to clothes I just would prefer to buy quality at a decent price which I have yet to find!

Also you cant always choose where you are going to live in Australia it depends where your employment is, we bought our house more or less straight away but what we didnt realise was how much we had to pay the realestate when we sold it! 3.3% + GST on a $550K house thats a lot of cash! Just something else to bear in mind if you are planning on buying a house.

And WOW 450 thousand pounds would buy you one hell of a house in the UK now (all relative to where you live of course like here)

Also another think to look at is if you are planning to visit the UK flights are very expensive too when we went it cost us $10k for 2 adults, 1 child and a baby who didnt even have a seat!

Anyway just a few things to bear in mind its not all negative of course, the sun shines all year round!! :rolleyes:

Guest sparkylad
I know I'm not dougie, but I was interested to know why you thought the education in Geelong was awful? I only ask as we're living in Perth and have a 9 year old, and one of the reasons we're returning to the UK is because of the level of education on offer here.

Like you said, if you're all planning on staying in Oz indefinitely it probably wouldn't matter too much, but if you're thinking of your kids returning to do their A Levels in the UK, then IMO I wouldn't have thought they would be well enough prepared by the schooling here.

It's a hard one with kids isn't it, trying to predict how badly you'll be messing up their future with what you plan!!!

Good luck!

Yes its very hard Rachel. We thought of maybe taking gcse material out with us to keep them up to scratch, at least until we are sure we know to make it permanent or not. `to try and answer your question, we thought the level was almost 2 years behind in Geelong what they had already done. At first the kids loved the 1 homework a week, then they got very bored. I wasnt going to pay for private & we were told that really, those who go private may do better because thier parents are pushing them anyways ? For us it wasnt just the poor curiculum, we perceived a general lack of respect and discipline. Even when we showed the head our kids work from home they seem to ignore it, didnt want to work with them were they were. ( i know every city in the world has its bad spots) . If only british isles had a bit more sun, we would not be thinking of returning. My wife & I hate the thought of growing old in this cold wet climate :( . But is the sunshine really a good enough reason to (possibly) mess up our kids educational future ? This is our biggest concern, we know the difference in money, work, food , housing etc. They all love school here and are all doing brilliant. My son got scouted for a kids Liverpool acadenmy !! so hes going to win the FA Cup :) its hard..... Likewise they hate the long dark winters also..... Maybe we should buy a little piece of Portugal ????

When we went first time, maybe we had too high expectations and immediately felt hood winked. This great immigration swindle, especially this TRA Im a self employed Plumber, Gas fitter & Oil 23 years and it didnt count in Vic, so its not really Trade "recongnition" at all.

For the life we left here was great financialy anyway, good money, nice area, fine well built house great schools etc and Aus just didnt match that. So i think it depends what you leave behind. For us thinking of returning it purely to stop us loosing our visas and maybe give us somewhere nice to retire and offcourse enjoy the Aussie wheather, which is perhaps the only thing it has to offer . A big one at that :) ... g luck Rachel

Top tip - send out your washing machine. I had a Bosch 1400 spin in the UK which cost about 300 quid. The equivalent here costs $2000. It only costs 150 quid to ship out a washing machine. I wish we had shipped our stuff instead of selling it in the UK and buying new things here

Guest spacegirl73
Top tip - send out your washing machine. I had a Bosch 1400 spin in the UK which cost about 300 quid. The equivalent here costs $2000. It only costs 150 quid to ship out a washing machine. I wish we had shipped our stuff instead of selling it in the UK and buying new things here

Good advice!! I was adamant I was having a big top loader though! LOL But yes send as much stuff as you can we made the mistake of selling stuff and got nothing for it, we didnt send any household essentials we just though wed buy new in australia we were shocked at how much it was to purchase it all again! :wideeyed:

Guest rachellh
Yes its very hard Rachel. We thought of maybe taking gcse material out with us to keep them up to scratch, at least until we are sure we know to make it permanent or not. `to try and answer your question, we thought the level was almost 2 years behind in Geelong what they had already done. At first the kids loved the 1 homework a week, then they got very bored. I wasnt going to pay for private & we were told that really, those who go private may do better because thier parents are pushing them anyways ? For us it wasnt just the poor curiculum, we perceived a general lack of respect and discipline. Even when we showed the head our kids work from home they seem to ignore it, didnt want to work with them were they were. ( i know every city in the world has its bad spots) . If only british isles had a bit more sun, we would not be thinking of returning. My wife & I hate the thought of growing old in this cold wet climate :( . But is the sunshine really a good enough reason to (possibly) mess up our kids educational future ? This is our biggest concern, we know the difference in money, work, food , housing etc. They all love school here and are all doing brilliant. My son got scouted for a kids Liverpool acadenmy !! so hes going to win the FA Cup :) its hard..... Likewise they hate the long dark winters also..... Maybe we should buy a little piece of Portugal ????

When we went first time, maybe we had too high expectations and immediately felt hood winked. This great immigration swindle, especially this TRA Im a self employed Plumber, Gas fitter & Oil 23 years and it didnt count in Vic, so its not really Trade "recongnition" at all.

For the life we left here was great financialy anyway, good money, nice area, fine well built house great schools etc and Aus just didnt match that. So i think it depends what you leave behind. For us thinking of returning it purely to stop us loosing our visas and maybe give us somewhere nice to retire and offcourse enjoy the Aussie wheather, which is perhaps the only thing it has to offer . A big one at that :) ... g luck Rachel

I can definitely relate, especially about the schooling. I had to demand some extra homework for my daughter. It's not that she really needed it (as we cover more at home than she does at school) but getting 1 simple sheet a week at age 9 is ridiculous. I have an issue with the very laid back attitude to learning here and the idea pumped into their heads that school is all about fun. I also find the school structure very odd and impersonal. There are more than 800 pupils at her school and I've never even seen the headteacher (who changes every few terms), let alone talked to him/her (I'm not sure which!!). Everything is dealt through the class teacher, who in our case, is a fresh from college and more concerned about being popular with her class!

We also hate the winter - weather was one of the reasons we left the UK as well. But after 3 winters in Perth I realise that was a pretty silly reason to leave a country and rather ironic to boot. I have never been so COLD during winter as I have been since living in Perth!!!! 5 months of it we had last year - grey skies, wind, rain and air so cold in the house I could have done away with the freezer!! We're going into winter now, and while the sun is still shining outside, I'm already starting to think about digging out my thermal vest for inside!

So all I'd say, if you're not sold on Oz as a country, you aren't sure about the education here and your kids are doing well at school in the UK (and set to become the next Rooney!) then I personally wouldn't recommend Perth just for the part of the year when the suns out. Not to say the place doesn't have it's perks of course - it's great for very young children because of all the great parks - but I (personally) don't think there's enough to stimulate or motivate older children here.

Hard one of course, with your visas I know. What about another part of Oz - or like you say, somewhere warm in Europe?! A bit closer to home and less of the hassle to move!!

Guest rachellh
Good advice!! I was adamant I was having a big top loader though! LOL But yes send as much stuff as you can we made the mistake of selling stuff and got nothing for it, we didnt send any household essentials we just though wed buy new in australia we were shocked at how much it was to purchase it all again! :wideeyed:

I agree, send out whatever you can in your shipment. My husband heard a couple in Kmart the other day. They were obviously new here and were out stocking up on all the household cleaning products they needed. The wife was freaking out about the 'extortionate' cost of the things she needed to buy and the husband was obviously freaking out at his wife about how they couldn't afford to buy everything she needed!

It's the one thing you're guaranteed to hear when you're out in the mall - "God, isn't it expensive here". I still say it, and I've been here 3 years!!

Guest bcfrug

Not too expensive in comparison to Dublin and Ireland thank god.

As we already pay through the roof for stuff, Oz is still a slight bit cheaper.

We find the UK alot cheaper than Ireland hence we all fly across the boarder up north as much as possible for our cheap bits so coming from Ireland things arent as expensive in Oz.

Best of luck to all on their own journey

I could only dream of having 450,000 quid to spend on a house in the UK, where I have been looking in good areas in Devon 250k gets you a VERY nice house and 450k would get you a mansion on acreage.

that's always the case when the economy is in decline

YES !! We moved back to the UK last year, and have given up any idea of moving back because of the cost of housing out there, and the crap exchange rate. Can't even afford to get there on holiday any more. Pint of beer is AUD8.50 typically, which is currently nearly £6. A coffee is about £3.50/ 4. Bottle of reasonable wine is at least AUD20, about £12 +. It's actually cheaper to buy WA wine in the UK than in WA. A real shame, we enjoyed it there, but its become too expensive.
price of a pint in oz

Price

Adeladie £2.76 GBP

Adelaide £2.57 GBP

Alice Springs £1.43 GBP

All Over £2.75 GBP

Armidale £1.5 GBP

Ballarat £2.41 GBP

Batemans Bay,NSW £2.36 GBP

Belfast £2.87 GBP

Bendigo £1.86 GBP

Brisbane £2.94 GBP

Bundoora £1.72 GBP

Canberra £4.31 GBP

Cork £3.31 GBP

Cottesloe Perth WA £0.23 GBP

Darwin £2.51 GBP

Dubbo £2.3 GBP

Geelong £3.53 GBP

Gold Coast £3.92 GBP

Goulburn £2 GBP

Hervey Bay £2.7 GBP

Hornsby £2.79 GBP

JOONDALUP,WA £4.02 GBP

Katoomba £2.1 GBP

London £3 GBP

Mandurah £3.75 GBP

Martin Place Bar - Sydney £3.86 GBP

Melbourne £3.9 GBP

Newcastle £2.23 GBP

Newman, WA £3.15 GBP

North Sydney £4.05 GBP

Parramatta £2.51 GBP

Parth £5.39 GBP

Perth £4.06 GBP

Port Augusta £2.04 GBP

Sydney £2.76 GBP

Walgett £1.66 GBP

William Creek £2.76 GBP

Wollongong £1.67 GBP

I disagree with those beer prices. A Pint costs between $8.50 and $9.50 in every bar I have been to in Melbourne, and I have been to a few now. At today’s exchange rate that is between £5.11 and £5.71.

Beer purchased from an off licenses is even more expensive than the UK in percentage terms.

Guest chris955

Yes I have seen those prices quoted on here before and while it is possible to pay those prices it is NOT the norm.

Guest Aldo
price of a pint in oz

Price

Adeladie £2.76 GBP

Adelaide £2.57 GBP

Alice Springs £1.43 GBP

All Over £2.75 GBP

Armidale £1.5 GBP

Ballarat £2.41 GBP

Batemans Bay,NSW £2.36 GBP

Belfast £2.87 GBP

Bendigo £1.86 GBP

Brisbane £2.94 GBP

Bundoora £1.72 GBP

Canberra £4.31 GBP

Cork £3.31 GBP

Cottesloe Perth WA £0.23 GBP

Darwin £2.51 GBP

Dubbo £2.3 GBP

Geelong £3.53 GBP

Gold Coast £3.92 GBP

Goulburn £2 GBP

Hervey Bay £2.7 GBP

Hornsby £2.79 GBP

JOONDALUP,WA £4.02 GBP

Katoomba £2.1 GBP

London £3 GBP

Mandurah £3.75 GBP

Martin Place Bar - Sydney £3.86 GBP

Melbourne £3.9 GBP

Newcastle £2.23 GBP

Newman, WA £3.15 GBP

North Sydney £4.05 GBP

Parramatta £2.51 GBP

Parth £5.39 GBP

Perth £4.06 GBP

Port Augusta £2.04 GBP

Sydney £2.76 GBP

Walgett £1.66 GBP

William Creek £2.76 GBP

Wollongong £1.67 GBP

1972 prices?:biggrin:

Guest itskaren

I still am very disappointed how expensive everything is. We are worse off here than we were in the UK that's for sure.

We should have stayed in the UK

While i agree with those who say Australia is expensive,i can get an Aussie sized pint of beer in all the boozers around here for $5,the promotion from one brand to another changes every few weeks,and as they all appear to taste what i would call reasonable,then i don't care which one is on offer!Never seen any of this 8-9 dollar stuff!:confused:

Guest itskaren

Yep .. being in the white goods business we had a few bits and pieces in our warehouse in the UK. We were stunned on how expensive white goods are here. I would consider sending stuff over if I had the time again. Crazy prices for the exact same brand, model and make.

Archived