Quarantine ???

Guest ebstar

Guest ebstar

Hi, We got a rescue dog just over a year ago.she is so well behaved and has brought us closer as a family, a real treasure.We went out for a recci trip 6 weeks ago and left her at our home with family she knows well looking after her.Since getting home she has settled in a little but is very nervous and desperate to please with lots of paw(just like the first few weeks we got her).The problem is we really want to take her with us but are concerned that if two weeks in a house with people she knows has unsettled her this much.How will she cope with qaurantine?We do have several offers of good homes with people we know she would be happy with but dont want to give her up.I know we need to do what is best for her.Any advice and experiences would be greatly apprieciated.Thanks

In my opinion when you take on a pet its for life (yes theres some exceptions) if you can bring her then bring her. We shipped our dog out a few weeks before us so when we got here we picked him up after about 3 weeks. It is hard but at least you will know your be seeing her again, and if like us your busy looking for a rental and work and buying cars etc the time soon goes. Our dog was in Spotswood near Melbourne and it was clean and staff very good, you can go and visit which we did once but wouldnt recommend as it gets dogs hopes up then you leave them again. We got quotes from the bigger pet air companies then chose a small local Kennel who charged us £2500 i think.

Guest vintage

I plan to bring my little dog, she is 11 and is nervous dog but leaving her is not an option....I plan to send her early as she picks up on whats happening so best for her to be there while i sort here like pack etc.,..then pick her up when i arrive and the go off to new home.....

Guest SunshineSmile

Oh dont leave her behind. You will be so sad without her and she will be fine in quarantine.. its only 30 days and she will forget all about it when she is back with you. You can get someone in to walk her whilst in quarantine and they will send you photos and you can ring to see how she is www.dogwalks.com.au the woman who runs it is called Karen and frequents PIO from time to time.

Hope that helps put your mind at ease

Guest juliemtaylor

we shipped our 2 13 year old cats and were worried about their flights, quarantine etc,, they were so not bothered about the flight etc, they just wanted to know when they were getting fed.

We got them 2 days after we arrived as they went first and they knew us immediately! The first few nights they clung to us like glue, then they are just the same as they always were..

Julie x

Guest Lollii

Hi.

We took our dog tyson from the uk and he was very insacure because of first owner. Qurentine was awful for tyson and us to see him in there. But as hard as it was for him to be left on his own ' so to speak' as soon as he was out we took him the beach and he was back to his normal self again witin 1 week. Definatly bring him :) xx

Guest Clairey b

We have a very very nervous little dog, and she was the same when we left her when we came over on our reccie, even though she she stayed with my parents! so the same as you we were terrified about her and quarrantine (especially as she had never even been near any kennels before!) The company we used even contacted Perth quarrantine after sending her as they were concerned too, bless them!!

We came out to Perth last year, and we sent Hettie a week before we left. We visited twice a week, and as difficult it was for us we all felt it really helped her as she knew we hadn't abandoned her, and that she was at least seeing us.

I think at the end of the day we all found it more difficult than she did!! Within a week or two she had forgotten all about it, and back to her old self!! I know for us it helped us all settle, and it definately wouldn't have been right without her!

Wishing you lots of luck, and please try not to worry too much, i'm sure your doggie will be just fine, and it will be the best thing you do!

Claire xx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ajburnet

Hi,

We recently (Jan) flew our two dogs out to Oz and had them in quarantine at the Byford station in Perth (we settled in Melbourne). As they are a smaller station we had heard good feedback.

It was worth it. The staff were excellent and took excellent care of our two dogs. They were weighed routinely and their food adjusted to ensure they regained any weight they lost from the flight (which is a stressful time I imagine). Using Dr Bach's rescue remedy is also worthwhile before the flight.

We visited them around 3 times a week and exercised them for an hour each time. The Byford staff did believe that it helped them. I'm sure it doesn't help those who don't get routine visits however!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

we rescued a nervous kitten who is now 1 year old :) I plan to do nursing at University for 3 years, get 1 years experience or apply for graduate programme and then my partner, cat and I return to brisbane. :chatterbox:

Is the quarantine on cats shorter than that for dogs? as she is a nervous cat, besides regular trips to the cattery can anyone suggest anything else i Can do to prepare her for the journey?

Can she be flown into brisbane? or would sydney be the closest place for quarantine?

cheers :jiggy:

Guest The Pom Queen
we rescued a nervous kitten who is now 1 year old :) I plan to do nursing at University for 3 years, get 1 years experience or apply for graduate programme and then my partner, cat and I return to brisbane. :chatterbox:

Is the quarantine on cats shorter than that for dogs? as she is a nervous cat, besides regular trips to the cattery can anyone suggest anything else i Can do to prepare her for the journey?

Can she be flown into brisbane? or would sydney be the closest place for quarantine?

cheers :jiggy:

Hi

Unfortunately the time frame is the same for cats and dogs (30 days). You can use any of the 3 quarantine stations and then fly your cat to Brisbane.

What I would recommend doing is getting the shipping crate early and then start feeding your cat in there and get her use to going in and out of the crate without any stress involved, a few weeks before she travels place her bed in there with some cat nip and try to get her to sleep in the crate. Don't under any circumstances force her in as this will make her more afraid.

Although she will be very nervous in quarantine, once she is back with you she should be fine, 30 days is only a small length of time, if it was the 6 months quarantine then I would probably think twice. I use to deal with wild cats and although as cubs they were able to be handled after 6 months in quarantine they lost that human bond.

Good luck

Kate

Archived