Redlands, yes or no?

family of five

Dear All,

Just been looking through schools and like the look of Redlands College, Queensland.

Love the idea that all 3 of my little people can attend as it takes from prep to year 12.

Anyone already using this school? Please PM me if you don't want to post. Just looking for any information and personal views of the school.

Many thanks

Tina x

Guest shirlw
Dear All,

Just been looking through schools and like the look of Redlands College, Queensland.

Love the idea that all 3 of my little people can attend as it takes from prep to year 12.

Anyone already using this school? Please PM me if you don't want to post. Just looking for any information and personal views of the school.

Many thanks

Tina x

Cannot answer re-schooling but one of our members owns a property rental in Redland Bay and may be better qualified to answer if she knows ...Catherine

Welcome to Redlands Retreat Bayside Brisbane Fully Furnished Homestay Accommodation for migrants and for holidays, near to Brisbane and the gold coast

Cannot answer re-schooling but one of our members owns a property rental in Redland Bay and may be better qualified to answer if she knows ...Catherine

Welcome to Redlands Retreat Bayside Brisbane Fully Furnished Homestay Accommodation for migrants and for holidays, near to Brisbane and the gold coast

Oh yes thanks, chatted with Catherine before so will get hold of her.

Tina x

Oh yes thanks, chatted with Catherine before so will get hold of her.

Tina x

Hi Tina

How are you doing?

Redland College is in Wellington Point. My kids don't go there, they are at Ormiston College - that's another school you might want to consider as it's also Prep - Grade 12.

Anyway, back to Redland College. If has a very good reputation and I know a few people with children there who are very happy with it. It is a church school, so there is a certain amount of religeous instruction within the school, but I don't think it is too full on.

The fees are more reasonable than Ormiston and you get good sibling discounts.

I don't know a huge amount about the school other than what I have said - but I have not heard anything bad about it.

Hope that helps

Love

Rudi

x

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tina

How are you doing?

Redland College is in Wellington Point. My kids don't go there, they are at Ormiston College - that's another school you might want to consider as it's also Prep - Grade 12.

Anyway, back to Redland College. If has a very good reputation and I know a few people with children there who are very happy with it. It is a church school, so there is a certain amount of religeous instruction within the school, but I don't think it is too full on.

The fees are more reasonable than Ormiston and you get good sibling discounts.

I don't know a huge amount about the school other than what I have said - but I have not heard anything bad about it.

Hope that helps

Love

Rudi

x

Thanks Rudi,

Sorry for the late reply been a bit busy with the easter hols. I had a look at Ormiston college and have emailed them to check waiting list times etc. The discount is not as good for siblings and the fees are higher but I do like the 'look' of it.

Can anyone else recommend the school their children go to, around the brisbane area?

Looking for a nice place to live with a good school, it's seems a bit like what comes first the chicken or the egg, but I think that finding the right school will lead to a nice area to live in.

What did everyone else do pick an area or a school first?

Tina x

Hi Tina

Unless you are restricted to being in a catchment area, I think choosing a suburb to live in first is not a problem. We don't live in Ormiston, although that is where my children are at school. For the right private school, people so tend to drive or there are school buses.

Yes - the discounts at Ormiston College are pretty dire! 10% off for the 3rd child only!

Love

Rudi

x

Also take a look at Faith Lutheran school in Victoria Point - another prep to year 12 school.

Sheldon College is another possibility, but to be honest, not my cup of tea. Too strict.

Moreton Bay College is another one, but the boys and girls are on different campus's - I am not sure if the affects you? Fees are higher than Ormiston I think and they have no aircon and not a great amount of computers. Better subject choices than Ormiston though from what people say.

Love

Rudi

x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tina

I think I'm in a similar situation as you, 3 kids that I'd like to all go to the same school. I'm a bit worried though that they won't have places available for all three at the same school as I've heard that the good schools can have long waiting lists. Have you tried contacting any schools yet? I have been looking at schools in a similar area (Ormiston et.)

How old are yours? I have a daughter who's 13 and two sons who are 11 and 4.

When are you looking to move out to Queensland?

It's nice to chat to people in a similar situation as we usually have the same worries and stresses!

Emma x

Hi Tina

I think I'm in a similar situation as you, 3 kids that I'd like to all go to the same school. I'm a bit worried though that they won't have places available for all three at the same school as I've heard that the good schools can have long waiting lists. Have you tried contacting any schools yet? I have been looking at schools in a similar area (Ormiston et.)

It's nice to chat to people in a similar situation as we usually have the same worries and stresses!

Emma x

Hi Emma

My daughter is also 13 and is at Ormiston College. She absolutely loves it there. I would contact the school and try and get your kids on the waiting list. They do ask you to pay to do this......but the registrar is pretty reasonable and sometimes will waive this for people who are still overseas. Just say that you are 99% sure that it's the school for you, but just want to make certain when you arrive.

Hope that helps

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Tina

Emma x

Hi Emma and Rudi as always,

My kids are 13, 5 and 3 and girl, boy,girl so I really need a mixed sex school. I emailed Ormison College about 10 days ago but as yet have not heard back, I guess because they are on easter hols, so I am hoping I will get a reply this week. It says on their web site that children names should be put down from birth and then 2 years before they would start you confrim that you want the place and pay the enrolment fee.

I have told them I am happy to pay the fee if all 3 can get a place, the worse thing would be if we get there and don't like it the kids would have to stay until I found them something else and then give a terms notice, but lots of people seem to rave about the school (Rudi) and getting a good school is, I think really important.

We are not due to touch down in Queensland untill Septemebr 2012, so a fair while yet but as some schools have long wait lists seems a good time to try a secure a place. As I said before what do you pick first area or school. We know where the OH will be working so need to be within a certain area, so i have been looking at schools where we could be living. We both driving so guess that even if we don't live in Ormison we can drop them off and pick them up, if all 3 are together I don't want to be doing a double drop off which I do that most mornings now and spend and hour driving in a circle before I even start my commute.

By the time we get to Oz it will be like we know each other and all our girls are the same age!!! So might even be in the same class, how werid to think that we chat on here and might one day all be picking our kids up from the same school. Emma when are you due to arrive in Oz?

Rudi, I found the Redlands retreat on facebook and have added myself.

I will tell you when I hear back from the school and what they said.

Tina x

Hi Tina

Emma x

Hi Emma and Rudi as always,

My kids are 13, 5 and 3 and girl, boy,girl so I really need a mixed sex school. I emailed Ormison College about 10 days ago but as yet have not heard back, I guess because they are on easter hols, so I am hoping I will get a reply this week. It says on their web site that children names should be put down from birth and then 2 years before they would start you confrim that you want the place and pay the enrolment fee.

I have told them I am happy to pay the fee if all 3 can get a place, the worse thing would be if we get there and don't like it the kids would have to stay until I found them something else and then give a terms notice, but lots of people seem to rave about the school (Rudi) and getting a good school is, I think really important.

We are not due to touch down in Queensland untill Septemebr 2012, so a fair while yet but as some schools have long wait lists seems a good time to try a secure a place. As I said before what do you pick first area or school. We know where the OH will be working so need to be within a certain area, so i have been looking at schools where we could be living. We both driving so guess that even if we don't live in Ormison we can drop them off and pick them up, if all 3 are together I don't want to be doing a double drop off which I do that most mornings now and spend and hour driving in a circle before I even start my commute.

By the time we get to Oz it will be like we know each other and all our girls are the same age!!! So might even be in the same class, how werid to think that we chat on here and might one day all be picking our kids up from the same school. Emma when are you due to arrive in Oz?

Rudi, I found the Redlands retreat on facebook and have added myself.

I will tell you when I hear back from the school and what they said.

Tina x

Hi Tina

I am really surprised you have not heard back from the school - they have been back for a week. Peta, the registrar is usually VERY efficient. I would email them again. Here is the email address for the registrar Peta Scott p.scott@ormiston.qld.edu.au (mods, please don't delete it - it is available on the Ormiston College website and in the public domain, so not a private email - just trying to be helpful though :wink:)

Hope that helps

Love

Rudi

x

PS Isn't it funny that we all have 13 year old daughter's!!!

Hi Tina

We are aiming to be in Oz for early next year although everything is still in the planning stage! We only decided to make the move about six weeks ago and have never even been to Australia so I feel in a bit of a haze at the moment and go through moments of panic and then excitement! I haven't contacted any schools yet because I'm not exactly sure where we'll end up, we're just waiting to see where my OH will get a job.

Are you going to be working as well when you get out to Oz? I want to be able to work but with 3 kids it's difficult to know what you do during the school holidays with no family around.

I look forward to hearing what Ormiston say when they contact you.

Emma x

Hi Rudi,

I have re sent the email to that address I had sent mine to the enrolment address although addressed it to P Scott, will see what happens.

Yes i am planning to work also, we went to Oz last year and OH is still in contact with employer he spent the day with and they are still keen for him to join them even though they know its not till 2012.

It is a bit of a nightmare, child care etc with no family as they do currently help out at the moment, I guess we will have to try and sort that kinda stuff when we get there. Did note that Ormison does have before/after and holiday clubs for the kids and with my job (midwife) I general only work 3 days a week (13 hours a shift) so hoping can work it out when we get there, hey we can all help each other!!!! Will need both of us to work really, do have a fair bit to bring over (depending on exchange rate !!!!!!) but the school fees will take a good amount for 3 kids, don't expext a free ride but if have to pay for better education happy to do so.

Emma what does you OH do, do you know anyome else in Brisbane?

Tina x

Oh dear!! I just posted the email address I used a couple of years back. Looks like this is the one that should be used now..... registrar@ormistoncollege.com

That might be the one you used before....

Love

Rudi

x

Yes that is the one I sent it to, re sent it and also the the admi office and asked if it could be forwarded to whoever, will wait now and see what happens.

Tina x

Hi Tina

We don't know anyone in Brisbane at all so it will be nice to meet up when we're both out there! My hubby is a GP and I'm a nurse. I did think about maybe agency work as a nurse, then I could just work during term time. I really need to get started with the IELT's and getting registered with the Queensland Nursing Council (or whatever it is!). I am a community nurse at the moment and would prefer to continue with this rather than go back in to hospital but I guess I'll just have to see what fits in best around the kids (as usual!).

Emma x

Keep posting on here Emma, and you'll soon have lots of cyber friends! It's really good to feel like you know someone for when you first arrive. Even if you don't end up as besties in the end, it's good to have someone to call on in those first few weeks when you are finding your feet.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi

Yes it's so good to speak to people on here. It's very reassuring because I do worry a little bit about the fact that I won't know anyone in Brisbane. I do also worry about the kids making friends, is there anywhere that they can safely chat online to other kids their age so they can get to know people as well?

I have been getting a little scared about the move over the last few days and chatting to people like yourself, who love living in Oz and to people like Tina who are in a very similar situation to us really reassures me that we're doing the right thing.

Thanks for all your help.

Emma x

Hi Emma

I can't promise you that your children will settle in without any problems, all kids are different. I can tell you though that my girls couldn't be happier at school. My two younger girls only moved from their previous school this year and have settled in without any problems at all.

If your 13 year old daughter would like to email with my daughter, let me know via PM. She is not on the computer a huge amount as she does a lot of sport, but I will make sure she sends a reply.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi,

Yes we never know how things are going to work out but at least on PIO you get loads of info and people are so lovely and helpful. I have just let Lauren have a facebook account this week, ARGH!!! Maybe the girls could post on there or I have emailed you both her email address, must say though she hardly ever checks it but like Rudi will try and get her to check.

Emma sure you will be able to pick up a few shifts to fit in around the kids, nights even. Have heard from others that midwifes/nurses can almost pick the times they want to work, hope that is the case when we arrive?

And yes it will be good to know someone when we first arrive even, we found a couple on here who live local and who are also going to Brisbane we met up with them, again nice to have someone when you are trying to set up a whole new life.

When we went last year it was great but can't check out everything and the hard work starts when you get back, still if I can sort out schools that we kinda narrow down an area to live.

Tina x

Archived