Getting kids back into their old UK schools....

Hi everyone

Just wondering for those people who have returned and managed to get their kids back into their old schools - did you go first to the schools themselves or via the local LEA? Is it best to go direct to the schools first? Also my youngest will go straight into Secondary School (Sept 10) and not sure how that will work (usually they are asked who their friends are so they can place them with someone they know for the first year etc). I am waiting for a return date (in desperation!) looks as tho they will be back for Sept 10 start the minute I know we are going back obviously this is the first thing I am going to do!!

For those with older kids who have returned do you think a full year out will make much difference.....eldest missed Year 8 and youngest Year 6 (so won't have done his SATs), hopefully they will catch up - I was really thinking of missing a full year of French and German etc in secondary school. Need to reassure the kids that they will catch up I suppose which is why I am asking this bit, I'm not too bothered what they end up qualification wise with as long as they are happy.

Cheers and any advice much appreciated

Guest rayman1

Hi. We rang the school directly and the headmaster was great. Took him two days but he jumped the red tape to get my son back in to year 11 and complete his GCSE's. Lucky for us my son had done 7 already so he can study to improve his grades.

My daughter is in year 8 so will just go back into her old form. We are returning end of march so they will start after easter.

Hi we managed to get my 5 and 9 year old back into their old primary school, which was fab they did there first day yesterday and everyone made lots of fuss with them. My mum phoned the headmistress up and she was happy to take them back.

My 12 year old was a different story, Arran is in grade 7 the schools he wanted to go were full up for his grade, i phoned Staffs county council but our problem was not living in any of them catchment areas. If we were to live in them particular areas then we could appeal, anyway we have him in the local school where we are living so he starts today, and it seems a good school.

Good luck

Tania x

We've come back after a year in Sydney and my children had just finished years 9,7 and 5 out there. They've gone into years 10, 9 and 7 here (in their old school) and their teachers all say that it's as if they've never been away. Academically they've had some catching up to do, but my middle daughter has been given extra German lessons twice a week to catch up with what she missed last year. The only subject they've said she won't be able to catch up with is latin because she's missed too much, but she didn't want to do it for gcse anyway, so no problem. The one who's gone into year 7 has had no problems - well, not that I've heard........ yet.....

I'm sure yours will be fine - mine love being back!

Good luck

• 1 month later...
Guest herts1
Hi everyone

Just wondering for those people who have returned and managed to get their kids back into their old schools - did you go first to the schools themselves or via the local LEA? Is it best to go direct to the schools first? Also my youngest will go straight into Secondary School (Sept 10) and not sure how that will work (usually they are asked who their friends are so they can place them with someone they know for the first year etc). I am waiting for a return date (in desperation!) looks as tho they will be back for Sept 10 start the minute I know we are going back obviously this is the first thing I am going to do!!

For those with older kids who have returned do you think a full year out will make much difference.....eldest missed Year 8 and youngest Year 6 (so won't have done his SATs), hopefully they will catch up - I was really thinking of missing a full year of French and German etc in secondary school. Need to reassure the kids that they will catch up I suppose which is why I am asking this bit, I'm not too bothered what they end up qualification wise with as long as they are happy.

Cheers and any advice much appreciated

my daughter returned at easter after only 6 months in school here. She returned for the last term of year 8 -missed the rest.

i contacted the school first but then had to apply officially to the local education authority- county in our case. the procedure was straightforward although they wanted an interview before she could start again. she has found maths a bit of a struggle but was top of her class before she left uk. if you are planning to return sooner rather than later seems to be key. I will be returning in august - didnt want to leave but kids are priority and my older 2 did not want to come and the younger one didnt feel she could settle here.

Hi, we are here til June - managed to get primary aged child back in no problem by ringing the Head. High School a different matter, didn't want to know and told us to contact LEA admissions even though he had completed year 7 before he left. LEA say the school is full and I have been told to appeal. I am awaiting an appeal hearing date. Worried he won't get back in with his old friends as one of main reasons for returning was kids not settling here. The school is a short walk from where we were living and where we will be renting on our return. Whatever happened to kids going to their local school eh! Because its quite a good school kids come from quite a hike away to attend, and my son who lives over the road will have to go in the other direction 5-6 miles away by the looks of it! Crazy!

Guest valleylass

Hi

I've never been through the appeals process but I wonder if you might be able to cite your son's special circumstances given that you've been so far away and he has had prolonged problems with setting; given that you will be in catchment too it might be worth a shot.

Good luck, we had no problems with schools and both of ours thanked us for returning to the UK (that was a real tear jerker..)

valleylass

I couldn't get my son into the school where his friends were, and then i tried another school and that was full, and again we didn't live in the catchment area, so he had to go to the school locally to where we are living, Arran wasn't very happy the first week or so and kept saying he had no friends. 6 weeks on and i went to his parent evening last night and every teacher said how well he has settled in, lots of friends very popular etc. He is 2nd from top in his class for science if he pushes himself abit more he will be top of set. English another glowing report, i'm so proud of him. We were discussing his school he went to in Australia last night and Arran said how much he hated it, and how laid back it was, i'm know he would never have had a report like this in oz.

Sure glad we came back to Uk when we did

Tania x

Archived