DILEMMA... shipping quotes coming in AAARGHH

Guest sheila1971

Guest Clairey b

We used John Masons last year, and found them very competitive and so helpful. I think we paid about £3400 for a full 20ft container and have to say we couldn't fault them. They use Wridgeways this end, who were just fab, and we have just moved again and used them again infact! All our stuff arrived within a month, which was pretty amazing we thought! Whether it was a quieter time for them or not i don't know, but it was great for us!!!

We used PSS to ship a couple of boxes over later on and were not as impressed with them and the communication compared with John Masons, whether that was because it was just a couple of boxes i'm not sure. We did get quite a few quotes before we went with John Masons-you have my sympathies because i know what a nightmare it is!!

Best of luck.

Claire xx

Guest sheila1971

Thanks to those that recommended White & Company - came today and have to say brilliant! Best quote at under £3500 and no extra if we go over the 900cu ft they estimate we will need. Very accomodating!

Hi,

I have got John Mason coming tomorrow and PSS,Dorree Bonner,Pickfords and Anglo Pacific next week. Am i missing any? and what should I be asking/looking for when they come?

What exactly do they do? Do they want to look in all cupboards and loft and such, or will they just ask whats staying and going? Is there anything I need to do/know before they come?

Thanks

Melanie x

Guest sheila1971
Hi,

I have got John Mason coming tomorrow and PSS,Dorree Bonner,Pickfords and Anglo Pacific next week. Am i missing any? and what should I be asking/looking for when they come?

What exactly do they do? Do they want to look in all cupboards and loft and such, or will they just ask whats staying and going? Is there anything I need to do/know before they come?

Thanks

Melanie x

Ok. Had all of the above apart from john Mason, couldn't get through! Also Crown and E.V.L.

What we did was walked round the house ourselves beforehand so I knew what was going from each room and also 'maybes'. I made a list of what was going from loft. We have now emptied garage and so have what is going from there in conservatory!!!

I made notes in a book as i went round with each company and also to ensure all given same info so could compare quotes like for like.

Would really recommend gettingWhite and Company in. Have already had 5 in, 2 more already booked for this week from recommendations off here because first 3 quotes over£4000, so will have had 7 in total!!!!

Ask also if they are happy for electrical things to go in original boxes...some insist on crating items which bumps the price up and like 1 company said items travel absolutely fine across world when manufactured without being crated!!!

Also ask if ok to use own insurance if you prefer to as theirs can be expensive.

Good luck.....am worn out already!!!!

Thanks to those that recommended White & Company - came today and have to say brilliant! Best quote at under £3500 and no extra if we go over the 900cu ft they estimate we will need. Very accomodating!

Hmmm I was really disappointed not to get these in for a quote. I contacted five companies and these were the only ones not to bother replying to my e-mails (the others were extremely prompt). Was sort of hoping for White's too as they have a base very near my home :nah:

Guest man2010
Hi folks,

I did this last month and our container is on its way as we are already in oz. I think I got 4 quotes, which PSS were the cheapest (and included loading the container at our house, so we would know exactly how much we could fit in, as we knew we were going to be tight). As it happened, PSS couldnt do it in the end due to timescales, so we went for Anglo. Had an excellent service so far. Like one other member here, also REALLY didnt like the Pickfords guy. He massively over estimated the amount whereas the others were about right. However, each of the companies thought a 20ft container wouldnt fit my car and all our items in it. WE'd measured the car etc and were pretty convinced it would all go in - which it did, except one item :( So we were right, and they were wrong!! Our quote, inclusive of quarantine inspections etc was £3,600 from PSS and around £4,000 from Anglo, who we chose to use. The others all came in higher than that. I also used Percival Letton for insurance and was much cheaper than the companies.

As to the person enquiring about bedding - the bedding is beautiful here, I would say nicer than the UK and not particularly more expensive. There are heaps of places to chose from - and also, a trip to Ikea!

Hope that helps

Hi Julzcary, just read your posting re shipping.You mention that you included your car in the container.Did you incur any other costs for the car with the shipping company? we are considering taking my car and wondering if its cheaper ship along with everything else.

sorry to hijack the thread.

Guest pablofet1
What size load have you been quoted on, any estimation of shipping times to Oz.

We were quoted for a 20ft container including crating the TV and our large marble dining table top and base.

They estimate 6-8wks shipping time.

:biggrin:Mel

Guest pablofet1

Hey guys just thought i would add some info here that i have been informed of.

On the 1st of March there was an increase on shipping prices that will have a knock on effect to quotes before this date. I am awaiting a revised price from Anglo and John Mason so will post here when i receive it, hopefuly later this week.

Typical more money, we always seem to miss the boat. (excuse the pun):twitcy:!!!!!!

the reason that it is so expensive is because - I have just had this indepth fracas with our removals - is that all shipping companies put their prices up on 1 march every year. Normally this is just a nominal amount to tie in with inflation etc. However, because of the current climate - most shippers have raised prices by an average of 15 - 20%. I have actually looked more into this, and it is true. We are in a position that our furniture has actually left - the quote given last month. Our removal company have come back to us and basically said - the shippers will not release the furniture in oz unless we pay another 1K. I pointed out that we had a contractual agreement, they have taken the money, the furniture has left the house, albeit, not the country yet, we have employed them to do the job from start to finish, they employed the shipping company, not us - so, legally, they are obliged to do the job. There is nothing in the small print to suggest that prices may change. If anyone else is in this position - stick to your guns.

Hope it explains the hike x

Guest pablofet1

OMG is that all it is.... just an internal thing. Thanx so much for this info i intend to bargin like a gooden and play one off against the other. When i spoke to the second company in the running today he didn't inform me of the rise but i mentioned the other company in the running had discussed the rise with me. He then said yes that there was to be a rise and was very keen to access the info on the amount of rise from the other company which i would have tweeked a little had i had the info but i am still waiting for it!

I think you are right to stick to your guns as you have as you have said entered into a contract prior to these changes.

Good luck Mel:biggrin:

P.s I have clicked your chick for the fab info

Guest sheila1971
Hey guys just thought i would add some info here that i have been informed of.

On the 1st of March there was an increase on shipping prices that will have a knock on effect to quotes before this date. I am awaiting a revised price from Anglo and John Mason so will post here when i receive it, hopefuly later this week.

Typical more money, we always seem to miss the boat. (excuse the pun):twitcy:!!!!!!

Hi yes, that is true, however a lot of firms are still offering very competetive prices despite this.......PSS, White & Co and Pickfords, all under £4000 for 850cu ft-full container 20ft size. White & Co best quote.

and all quotes received within last 2 weeks so after 1st March increase!:notworthy:

tell you what - we used Bennetts - who are actually based in Yorkshire, however, say they are a national company who do international removals. We paid, 2 weeks ago, but before they let us know of the hike, £4900 for a 40ft container. It was put up by 1K - which we are not paying since they didnt let us know, and they have taken the money. But, they have actually said - about 10 mins ago - they will negotiate it to a £400 hike. Not paying that either, but the quote does seem very good in any case

Guest sheila1971
Hmmm I was really disappointed not to get these in for a quote. I contacted five companies and these were the only ones not to bother replying to my e-mails (the others were extremely prompt). Was sort of hoping for White's too as they have a base very near my home :nah:

Would call them if you have time before you have to choose as may be pleasantly surprised. I rang and got appointment there and then! :wink:

Guest zambezi15

We got quoted GBP 7950 for a 40 ft containter by anglo pacific all inclusive except qiuarantine fee- Mind you that includes 1000km trip to the outback

Hi Guys,

Really need some help- had Anglo, doree bonner and excess international in last week to give quotes for shipping.

Been told will need 850 cu ft in a 20 ft container.

Costs coming in at over £4300......is this about right?:chatterbox:

If it is not sure we can ship stuff!!!! but need to as looking at cost of goods in Oz would be expensive to replace everything......

Are there any 'budget' companies any of you have used and could recommend at all? Really need to get this figure down somehow as have also to get dog over!

We are more than happy to pack ourseles, but none of the above companies were up for that.:arghh:

Please guys, any advice very gratefully received.

Hi - thought you might find some details useful on pet transport companies too:-

Our Partner Companies

Definitely worth asking for a quote for your dog from one or more of these people as they can help with all paperwork too.

Best wishes,

Karen

Guest fergie family

Hi

Does anyone know if you are allowed to use plastic storage boxes and storage bags for bedding and towels. And if you have already items in boxes do they empty them or just put them straight into there boxes.

Thanks Susan

Guest pablofet1

Well the revised quotes are in and to be honest they haven't gone up that much.

For a full 20ft container. We have said we will dismantle all beds etc as we were advised this reduces the price a little as it is less for their packers to do.

Anglo Paccific £3890

John Mason £3550

I did make it quite clear to them both that we had decided on them both so it would come down to who was going to offer the best deal so maybe that is why there was not a huge increase.

This does not include insurance, i intend to contact Percival Letton as advised by another poster. (John Mason are offering insurance at 2% of value rather than 3% as first quoted so again will compare)

Mel:unsure:

Guest sheila1971
Hi

Does anyone know if you are allowed to use plastic storage boxes and storage bags for bedding and towels. And if you have already items in boxes do they empty them or just put them straight into there boxes.

Thanks Susan

I think it is up to the individual company, we saw loads in the end and each said something different. White & Co, who we are using are more than happy for us to use our own plastic boxes where we want to, others said NO!!!:wubclub:

Archived