Switching from UK University??

Guest Johnthepom

Guest Johnthepom

Hi All,

I am currently negotiating a position in Melbourne which we hope will result in our migrating at the end of this year under an Employer Nomination Scheme 121/856 permanent Visa.

My understanding is that this way, my wife will also be able to work as a permanent Australian Resident and (more importantly) that my 18 year old daughter will have full study rights.

However, she is just finishing her first year of a Law degree here in England and will therefore need to transfer to an Australian Uni to complete her studies. I believe there should be a way of receiving credits for the work she has done in the UK but would welcome advice from others who may have been down this route (or looked into it) in the past.

The issue is funding and on this I am not sure if she would qualify for a Commonwealth Supported place to make it more affordable. Again any advice would be appreciated.

The alternative to studying in Australia would be for her to stay in England to complete her studies (2 or 3 more years) and then transfer to Australia. If she chose this route, could I include her on my visa now as a dependant adult in full time education, so she should migrate to Australia 2 or 3 years after us but on the same visa?

Finally while i'm at it, anyone got experience of Law degrees in Australia that could offer opinions on the best Universities to look at? Not too bothered on the location since anywhere in Australia will be easier to keep in touch / visit than leaving her in the UK.

Look forward to any advice

Thanks

John

Hi John

I dont know much about Uni's but I have been looking into it as our son is due to start in Oz in Jan 2009.

We are hoping to move to Oz before the end of yr (have visa just need to sell house).

As far as funding goes, all I have managed to find out is that our son wont be able to get a student loan (or Oz eqivilent) until he is a citizen.

Although you wont have to pay international student fees if you have a PR visa, but will have to pay course fees at the beginning of each semester.

My son wants to be a Vet and I have been 'talking' to a lady from another site whose daughter is doing her 2nd yr at 'Vet' school and they have had to pay her fees for the last 2 yrs but are hoping to get Citizenship this yr so she can have a loan.

What she did say though, was that most Uni students continue to live at home so it does work out cheaper in the long run than going to Uni in the UK.

We have talked (but not enquired) about whether he would be allowed to get a student loan in this country to study abroad.

I suspect this would only be possible if we were to pay the international fees.

Dont think the UK Gov would be to pleased about funding him if they knew we had no intention of returning.

Sorry cant answer anymore of your questions.

Sam xx

Under the Australian Qualifications Framework every instituion must offer recognition of prior learning (and experience). All universities offer credit transfer as routine for undergard transfers, and understand the UK system well.

In Melbourne many choices, but depends upon desired outcomes? Solicitor, Barrister, NGO, Corporate, International etc.?

My old Alma Mater Victoria University offers work based learning year for all under grad students (domestic and international) in their Business and Law faculty.

Also, off campus study is also possible via several Oz universities.

PS Even if not eligible for HECS (Study credit scheme), fees are probably same or less than domestic in the UK...unless it is medicine, Vet science etc....which are high

Archived