Worried about plumbing!

Guest leedschick

Guest leedschick

Hi! just joined and new to forums!

we are a teacher and a plumber (plus 2 little monkeys, a 2 year old tantrum thrower and a cheeky 10 month old!) just about to send off skills assessment for teaching but OH is a plumber who will have completed 6 years working as a plumber by the time we get out there. what are his chances of getting work as he has no formal qualifications? also a bit worried as lots of threads saying not great wages etc!

also undecided between perth or adelaide. I'm a pastey irish throw back so bit worried i will get fried in Perth!

Help!

Fiona, Ian, Niamh and Finlay

Hello Leeds Chick

Money is not good and have to start from the bottom. But if OH has been in the trade for six years what have you to lose. Come over on your Teaching and OH can get into pluming or train to do somthing else.

I start work tomorrow and will keep you all up to date I think there are a few plumber about on this site.

Take care John

One thing is that it is a better life out hear.

Guest cheryl

Hi John.

Where abouts are you in OZ? because doesn't it vary where you are going to what the wages are? My husband is a plumber we are off to Perth spoke to friends that are out there this weekend and have been 3 years, asked them about plumbers wages now they are builders and plasterers they reckon the plumbers are on good wages. We will see we going out for reckie this Sat my husband has an old apprentice out there who has his own firm now in Perth going to have a chat with him.

So hopefully will be able to let all those plumbers, wifes, and anyone anxious to know. Do we change trades or not?

Cheryl

Guest Abi&Dan

I reckon your OH will be Ok without formal qualifications - I think you only need them for TRA and as your OH isn't going down that route I reckon the practical experience will be enough.

He should look into TAFE and investigate getting registered in Oz. Check out this website

http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/7-home-page.asp

He will have to be registered to get the good money and he may have to do some Oz qualifications at TAFE to be in the position to be registered.

Hope it helps

Guest leedschick

Thanks for info. the plan is for us to go over on my teaching visa but for OH to work. sounds like I'm going to have to teach after all!

Any body any advice about teaching? from what I can gather, not so straight forward getting a job teaching in Oz as it is here.

Guest Scarletfever
Thanks for info. the plan is for us to go over on my teaching visa but for OH to work. sounds like I'm going to have to teach after all!

Any body any advice about teaching? from what I can gather, not so straight forward getting a job teaching in Oz as it is here.

I dunno, but my brother in law seemed to be able to get straight into it. He teaches science and got into AB Pattersons College on the Gold Coast without any problems.

If its any consolation, he reckons its better teaching in Oz cos the kids are far more easily handled due to the respect they have for the teachers.

Dan

Guest kdal
Hi! just joined and new to forums!

we are a teacher and a plumber (plus 2 little monkeys, a 2 year old tantrum thrower and a cheeky 10 month old!) just about to send off skills assessment for teaching but OH is a plumber who will have completed 6 years working as a plumber by the time we get out there. what are his chances of getting work as he has no formal qualifications? also a bit worried as lots of threads saying not great wages etc!

also undecided between perth or adelaide. I'm a pastey irish throw back so bit worried i will get fried in Perth!

Help!

Fiona, Ian, Niamh and Finlay

Hi Fiona and Family

You are lucky as I would have thought you could get to Oz on your skills or your hubbies. Your Oh does not have to have formal qualifications as such, if he has had and I think it is at least six years work experience in his line of work (Plumbing) then this should suffice.

However if you are going to Oz on your skills then in order for your husband to secure work in Oz I would gather as many references as possible together to take with you and also if you have an accountant a letter from your accountant to say how long he/she has been doing your oh's accounts. It may help him secure something quick!! Can't let our hubbies be out of work for too long eh!!!!!

Gd Luck

Kim

Archived