UK Tax question

General67

I am moving to Perth around July 2010 but will be letting my house in the UK initially (probably for about a year or so). My question is this :

Do I pay Tax on the income in the UK and declare it as tax paid in addition to my Aus income when completing Tax returns in Aus or can I get my rent Tax free in the UK and pay Tax on the lot in Aus.

I know I will need to talk to an accountant who is all about on the tax issues in both countries, but just after a heads up if possible so I know where I am starting from.........As I don't have a clue at the moment :confused:

Thanks for any help :notworthy:

Guest Jackie Smith

Where you pay tax depends on whether you are coming to Australia on a temp or perm visa. Feel free to send me a PM to let me know your visa type.

hi there sorted mine out last year for the first time,not been doing it correctly for the last three years, my UK property is done as usual with the inland revenue, I have permission from the revenue to receive my rent using form NRL13 means the tenant does not have to deduct rent towards the tax, I then let my OZ accountant have the details,with details of OZ income,sorted

hope this helps

Lynda

hi there sorted mine out last year for the first time,not been doing it correctly for the last three years, my UK property is done as usual with the inland revenue, I have permission from the revenue to receive my rent using form NRL13 means the tenant does not have to deduct rent towards the tax, I then let my OZ accountant have the details,with details of OZ income,sorted

hope this helps

Lynda

Thanks Linda, that does help lots. I will be over on a PR Visa as joining the Aus Navy so need to try and get things sorted.

Thanks again

Chris:hug:

Guest littlesarah

If you are 'ordinarily resident' for tax purposes, contact the centre for non-resident landlords (details on HMRC website). You will then pay tax if you are in profit, or can offset any loss (as the case may be) in Australia. Don't forget that you can make deductions for maintenance, inspections (i.e. gas) and agents fees as applicable - but no doubt your Aussie tax advisor/accountant will sort that all out for you.

Good luck with it all.

Sarah

Archived