Appealing IELTS score

User Name

Hi guys,

I got my IELTS score and got 6.5 in the writing section (need 7 in each band). I am planning on appealing. is there a chance (or do you guys know of any cases) where the score can actually go down? say from 6.5 to 6 instead of going up?

Most that I checked out have either remained same or gone up.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

I got my IELTS score and got 6.5 in the writing section (need 7 in each band). I am planning on appealing. is there a chance (or do you guys know of any cases) where the score can actually go down? say from 6.5 to 6 instead of going up?

Most that I checked out have either remained same or gone up.

Cheers,

I did my writing appeal and the mark was raised for 1 point.

In most cases that I know people who appeal succeed.

Hi, I have heard in the past about marks for writing and speaking being increased but what about reading ? My OH has sat the test 3 times now needing a score of 7 in each, on her first attempt she got 6.5 in reading, 5.5 for 2nd attempt and she doesn't think that she has the 7 for the one she just sat on Saturday in Leeds. We have until next Saturday (6 weeks) to apply for a remark on the first result, what would people recommend ? should we ask for a remark of the Reading ?????? Thanks

Guest Mrs PuffPuff

Personlly I would not bother wasting £65 (I think it is that much) for the remark. At the end of the day in the reading test the answer is either right or wrong. Whereas in the writing test the marker is of course is subjetive and if marked by another they may feel the piece is worth a higher mark.

I am in the same boat as your wife. I have sat the test on a few occassions and it is always the reading section which I have problems. My advise would be for her to practice, practice, practice (not that it does much for me on the day) but as said, in the reading test your answers would be either right or wrong.

Good luck, angela xx

Hi, I have heard in the past about marks for writing and speaking being increased but what about reading ? My OH has sat the test 3 times now needing a score of 7 in each, on her first attempt she got 6.5 in reading, 5.5 for 2nd attempt and she doesn't think that she has the 7 for the one she just sat on Saturday in Leeds. We have until next Saturday (6 weeks) to apply for a remark on the first result, what would people recommend ? should we ask for a remark of the Reading ?????? Thanks

Reading mark almost impossible to improve because it's an objective subject, assessors just match answers and that's all. Whereas speaking and writing are much subjective parts where the marks depend on personal opinion.

Archived