what visa to choose?

briggs

Hi,

Hope your all well.

My sister migrated to OZ earlier this month. Which is a fantastic move!

But i want to go now too, but i am not sure where to start on the visa process.

i was hoping of any ideas please.

I work as Field Engineer - Sales / Technical Support and been doing this for 5 years.

and Qualification in : BSc Multimedia Technology.

I am 29 years old and from yorkshire UK.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

Hope your all well.

My sister migrated to OZ earlier this month. Which is a fantastic move!

But i want to go now too, but i am not sure where to start on the visa process.

i was hoping of any ideas please.

I work as Field Engineer - Sales / Technical Support and been doing this for 5 years.

and Qualification in : BSc Multimedia Technology.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hello Mr Briggs

I take it that you are Brother Briggs and that the girl on here who was using briggs to mean Ms Briggs is your sister?

Have you had a Working Holiday visa? If not, a WH visa would get you out to Oz for at least 12 months and it could be 24 months depending on your exact age and on whether you are prepared to do "specified work" in order to ensure the second year on a WH Visa:

Visa Options - Working Holiday - Visas & Immigration

A WH visa sometimes leads to an Aussie employer taking a shine to the person and offering him/her a job plus a visa so that the person can remain in Australia. This does NOT work for most people, but it does work for a few. So just bear this in mind for the time being, I suggest, if you have not already had a WH visa.

The good thing about a WH visa is that it gets the wannabe migrant into Australia with work-rights. Via the work, s/he is able to get in front of the possible Aussie employer-sponsors at an interview. The WH visa works much better than a tourist visa works for this because the wannabe is able to work. Aussie employers see hundreds of Tourists each year. The Tourists insist that that will be able to get a suitable visa. The Aussie employer hasn't a clue about visas for Oz, just as I live in the UK and I haven't a clue about visas for the UK. One's first thought is, "Hmmm. You say that all this is possible but I wonder whether it really is possible? Plus if I say yes to you, I might wait until doomsday for you to turn up. You are the best candidate, for sure, but the Aussie runner up can start work on Monday, which gives him an enormous edge over you, and my decision is that I will hire him instead simply because he will be so much easier to deal with."

All that said, it is MUCH easier to get an Aussie employer to sponsor you for a visa if you are in Oz and he can meet you in the flesh than if you are 10,000 miles away in the UK and for all that the Aussie knows, you might never get onto a plane when push comes to shove.

The next step is to consider whether your job would enable you to consider skilled independent mgration to Oz, which is what your sister has done. To do this properly, you need to consider the following documents in the following order:

The SOL:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

The ASRI list:

Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)

The full ASCO Code because that is the detailed document that the Aussie officials all rely on in order to work out what the prospective migrant actually does for a living:

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

For now, let us not get bogged down in visas, pre-migration skills assessments etc. Let us do this in very simple steps because I feel simple and stupid today!

Do you reckon that your occupation is on the SOL? It might not be, so please be careful and don't fall into temptation about this.

If your occupation is on the SOL, please could you tell me the Aussie job title and the six digit code number for it, please?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gollywobbler.

Thank you very much.

I have chosen the occupation below.

sales-representative-(information-and-communication-products)-2222-13

Do you think this will be ok? I was looking into the 176 visa. My uncle is a PR and lives in Brisbane, so he could sponsor me?

Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Archived